Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby hydra » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:10 am

This one, like all the clones that drop to the right for some reason, was very intense.

Wow, I am ashamed to say that I never noticed that they had a mirror image clone (dropped to the right).
So this one, Goliath at SFFT, and Vampire at La Ronde are the only 3 that are mirror images?
Some small detail just blew my mind. Thanks!

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby boweryboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:19 am

As much as I steer clear of multi-directional spinning rides that flip you upside down, I've always been curious about riding an Evolution ride.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby mattnz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:58 am

Woodie Warrior wrote:The Batman coaster is actually the Studio Backlot area. The DC Comics Plaza is where Mr. Freeze is. Sorry, it isn't that important, I was just distracted by it. And I agree, it is the most generic area of the park. And the only thing that matches the backlot theme is the pavement.

Duly noted! (I appreciate it!)

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby HWFan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:44 pm

There's nothing I like hearing more than guests having a great day at our park. It makes those 15 hour days worth it. As I can only speak for admissions and not rides, if you experience bad service, please let either guest relations know or the lead at the front gate.

The highlight of my day when TPR visited was getting to stamp KidTums' hand.

Counselor Neil

Postby televisedconfession » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:52 am

THE BOSS!!!!!!!

That ride! Lord all mighty that ride! I miss being bossed! And being bossed by the boss in front of The Boss. It was kinda like being judged by the judge on The Judge.

Good times! Good times!
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Drunk in the Dells - Mt. Olympus & Timber Falls

Postby mattnz » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:13 am

I have to admit, Wisconsin Dells was my least favourite stop on the 2010 TPR Midwest trip. I thought Mt. Olympus was more of a 'family entertainment centre' than an amusement park, one that just happened to have four wooden roller coasters. It didn't help that their most impressive-looking coaster, Hades, was the roughest ride I had ever experienced in my life...

When I heard that Hades was going to get a barrel roll and become Hades 360 - and that we were going to ride it on the 2013 trip - I was more than a little terrified. Turns out, the barrel roll was the smoothest part of the ride. The rest of the ride was truly horrendous. I know the coaster is called 'Hades', but I think Mt. Olympus has taken the concept too far! The new Timberliner train made no difference to the ride experience either. We were beaten up and not in a good way AT ALL. What a shame, because the ride still looks so utterly impressive.

Fortunately the park still had Cyclops running as insane as ever, with the right-handed drop in front of the station providing the craziest moment of ejector air time you're ever likely to find on a wooden coaster - almost to the point where I wonder how no one has actually been thrown from the train!

My problem with Mt. Olympus is that it seems to be so poorly run. The park obviously does exceptionally well in its own market evidenced by how they keep buying up nearby independent motels and hotels and re-themeing them. So why not put a bit of effort into the upkeep of their rides and maybe train the staff a bit (or a lot) better. I also wish the rides section of the park was more rounded out - they could do with a few other non-coaster or go-kart attractions. But I guess the water park is primarily where the locals and vacationers want to go.

Despite everything mentioned above, I had a thoroughly awesome time at Mt. Olympus. It helped that the park gave us ERT, a nice lunch and even opened up Little Titans for us (a rare and awesome credit!). But I think it was also because I had my first beer at around 11:15 and spent most of the day getting to know my fellow trip participants a bit better. And we had a really good time!

We finished up in the Dells at Timber Falls where we had not only HellCat but the entire place to ourselves, after which we hit the road for a surprise stop at Little Amerricka (and I think that deserves its own segment).

All in all, I'm so glad we got to stop in the Dells - thank you Robb and Elissa for arranging a thoroughly awesome day for all of us (and I hope we didn't behave too badly - I was glad to come from a heavy drinking country like New Zealand where I'd already prepared my liver...).
IMG_0001.JPG
I loved our tacky motel room. (And yet apparently this was the most expensive place we stayed at!)
IMG_0002.JPG
Kind of reminds me of the British sitcom Hi-de-Hi!
IMG_0003.JPG
On our way to the park we drove past the turnaround on Zeus, which I remember being more than a little rough...
IMG_0004.JPG
Oh dear God.
IMG_0005.JPG
You have to admit, it LOOKS impressive.
IMG_0006.JPG
Welcome to Mt. Olympus!
IMG_0007.JPG
We wandered past the first drop on Zeus.
IMG_0008.JPG
I am sure this is perfectly safe, and I know it would be normal in Europe and elsewhere, but does that track look a wee bit too close for comfort, or is it just me? This is Wisconsin, right?!
IMG_0009.JPG
I loved the sign in the queue: "Hades 360 is very aggressive today." Only difference in the sign from 2010: addition of the number 360. I think Hades rides aggressively each and every single day!
IMG_0010.JPG
The station is a long way up.
IMG_0011.JPG
This section is both before the lift hill and after the return from the tunnel, but it's hard to tell which is which.
IMG_0012.JPG
TPR are ready to ride!
IMG_0013.JPG
Hades truly was a journey to hell and back again!
IMG_0014.JPG
Is the petting zoo there to help you forget about how awful Hades was? Aww, look at those cute animals...
IMG_0015.JPG
Mt. Olympus has a 'roller coaster hill' which hosts Hades, Zeus and Cyclops (in order of roughness).
IMG_0016.JPG
The back seat on Cyclops is where the air time is at. But I don't think their 'you must be over 18 to ride the back car' rule makes any sense.
IMG_0017.JPG
A higher height restriction might be a better idea!
IMG_0018.JPG
Because Cyclops really seems to want to eject those back car riders!
IMG_0019.JPG
Cyclops has the perfect viewing area for taking amusing pictures.
IMG_0020.JPG
I love the expressions in the front row.
IMG_0021.JPG
More TPR members give the back car a whirl.
IMG_0022.JPG
Neil and I dared to put our hands up.
IMG_0023.JPG
In Mt. Olympus, you don't need a shirt to ride!
IMG_0024.JPG
Andrew and I look like we're being a bit stupid in the back row, but I swear to God, all we did was put our hands up - and I made sure my seat belt was very, very tight. The ride did the rest!
IMG_0025.JPG
Zeus was running as badly as ever, alas. I feel like it could be good with some re-tracking and better care.
IMG_0026.JPG
Mt. Olympus is also known for their go-kart tracks.
IMG_0027.JPG
Some of them are built on multiple levels and look quite interesting, but I don't think I'm a 'go-kart person'.
IMG_0028.JPG
We were all very surprised to hear that the park would let us ride Little Titans, a hitherto unobtainable credit!
IMG_0029.JPG
Yay! Another new and rare credit.
IMG_0030.JPG
Suck it Iron Rattler and New Texas Giant, I'm unlikely to ever get to do this again!
IMG_0031.JPG
It was a cute and quite fun kiddie coaster too.
IMG_0032.JPG
Hmm, no fences whatsoever around the ride. I must be becoming a little American myself, but this just struck me as odd...
IMG_0033.JPG
The toilets were not hewn from real rock, apparently.
IMG_0034.JPG
Pegasus is the other woodie at the park.
IMG_0035.JPG
It's a fairly large junior coaster, but doesn't have much else to recommend it.
IMG_0036.JPG
Onwards to track down the last remaining credit.
IMG_0037.JPG
Some of the outdoor water park - I should have spent some time photographing people getting knocked over in the giant wave pool.
IMG_0038.JPG
Opa! (Which later became a catch phrase on the trip for some reason!)
IMG_0039.JPG
I think I am becoming a 'water park person', but we didn't take a dip today.
IMG_0040.JPG
Our side looked a lot more fun.
IMG_0041.JPG
Walking out the park we passed by Hades. Sigh - it does look decent, doesn't it?
IMG_0042.JPG
Next up today was an hour of 'exclusive park time' at Timber Falls!
IMG_0043.JPG
HellCat is the star here and by all accounts TPR loved it.
IMG_0044.JPG
But Andrew and I did not! It was the same in 2010 - everyone else seemed to respond positively to this coaster, but we felt it rode way too rough.
IMG_0045.JPG
A lot of people gave the log flume a go.
IMG_0046.JPG
It looked like a wet one...
IMG_0047.JPG
Yup!
IMG_0048.JPG
Some preferred the kind of pointless bumper boats.
IMG_0049.JPG
You mostly got wet from the water jets shooting out of your motor!
IMG_0050.JPG
Some even tried this thing...
IMG_0051.JPG
These Skyscraper rides get a "hell no!" from me.
IMG_0052.JPG
It looks like we have a new 'Boss' in TPDave. Thanks for reading!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby mousch » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:29 am

Great Pics, never thought I would see Hi de Hi mentioned in a TPR trip report!!!

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:16 am

Nice pics. RE: Mount Olympus' success - since the "old man"(Jim Laskaris, present owner Nick's dad) died, Nick's basically taken over the town. He's on the planning commission for Lake Delton township IIRC, and if he isn't, that's a recent development. A lot of the other attractions with rides on that strip have gotten zoned out of existence. There's a story about one operator buying a bunch of kiddie rides as part of an expansion, only to get zoned "industrial" or something and wind up selling those attractions to Nick at half price.

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 am

My memory of that afternoon/evening is pretty fuzzy. Not sure why. :)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:53 pm

I'm glad to say I have been to the Dells and survived. Hades 360 is probably the worst coaster I've ridden up to this point, and Hellcat was definitely rough too. Was anyone actually sober that day?

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive