TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Conference Call Details, 6 Parks Possibly For Sale

I wonder how much money it would cost to turn SFMM into the family friendly park Shapiro wants. What rides would go and what rides would stay?

If I was shapiro I would start drawing up like a 10 - 15 year plan which would basically be a complete conversion of the park. For Example I would completely redo the bugs bunny area and make it better themed as well as have better attractions and overall just a nicer place to roam through. I would remove flash back, deja vu, and psyclone, and redo the entire river crossing area. i'd take out the monoraile, and I'd definately add in more sitdown restaurants. I'd also take out Superman the Escape and maybe put some other ride in its place.

I think that magic mountain still has a lot of potential, and they can still shape it into what ever image they want. The only problem is they would need to want to spend the money on it first. But maybe in return they'll see more profits in the future?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We gnome iv done some math and with the park in the shape it is now they would have no choice but to close it for one year to give the park the tlc it needs but the cost alone is going to be about 85 to 100 million dollars to get the place in top shape the buildings been refubed painting the rides and replaceing the water filtration on the water rides etc

We gnome iv done some math and with the park in the shape it is now they would have no choice but to close it for one year to give the park the tlc it needs but the cost alone is going to be about 85 to 100 million dollars to get the place in top shape the buildings been refubed painting the rides and replaceing the water filtration on the water rides etc

All of that stuff is not done at one time, you gradually do that stuff. SFMM really eeds to start with their superintendents, and not being so leinent, and actually care about their work. From there, the superintendents tell the employees what to do and what not to do. That shouldn't cost any money. Picking up the trash is also something else they could do, get people to clean up the park, that should not cost too much.

If I was shapiro I would start drawing up like a 10 - 15 year plan which would basically be a complete conversion of the park. For Example I would completely redo the bugs bunny area and make it better themed as well as have better attractions and overall just a nicer place to roam through. I would remove flash back, deja vu, and psyclone, and redo the entire river crossing area. i'd take out the monoraile, and I'd definately add in more sitdown restaurants. I'd also take out Superman the Escape and maybe put some other ride in its place.

Note especially:

I'd also take out Superman the Escape and maybe put some other ride in its place.

Who in their right mind would destroy Superman the Escape

1. It's great. It's incredible. It's a work of incredible engineering that showed the world new possibilities.

2. It's a piece of history, like so many other things at Magic Mountain: first roller coaster to go 100 miles per hour

3. It is made of more metal than most people can fathom. That structure is so big that it makes it look like a bunch of thin pieces of scrap metal, when in reality those are completely normal, full-size I-Beams.

4. It changes the entire top of the mountain, as well as the skyline of the park.

5. There's this uber-cool rumbling sound, that seems just like a jet when it passes over the walkway. (If you didn't notice that, there is clearly something detrimented in your ears or your brain).

Who in their right mind would destroy Superman the Escape

1. It's great. It's incredible. It's a work of incredible engineering that showed the world new possibilities.

2. It's a piece of history, like so many other things at Magic Mountain: first roller coaster to go 100 miles per hour

3. It is made of more metal than most people can fathom. That structure is so big that it makes it look like a bunch of thin pieces of scrap metal, when in reality those are completely normal, full-size I-Beams.

4. It changes the entire top of the mountain, as well as the skyline of the park.

5. There's this uber-cool rumbling sound, that seems just like a jet when it passes over the walkway. (If you didn't notice that, there is clearly something detrimented in your ears or your brain).

1. It's not that great. It's had a ton of problems. Wasn't it closed for much of 2003? It rarely has much of a line anymore, even when running one side. Most of the GP think it's short and lackluster.

2. Didn't Tower Of Terror in Australia open before Superman, therefore making it the first coaster to hit 100? Also: no one care about roller coaster history unless you're in ACE.

3. Metal can be sold for scrap.

4. So?

5. I hate that noise and I think everyone else does too. It's not pleasant to have your ear drums blasted out.

Seriously, where did you get the SFMM Brand Kool-Aid?

I just read an article on the possible 6FMM sale, and thought this was interesting:

Despite the onslaught of roller coasters, Magic Mountain has retained much of the quaintness of a regional amusement park, with bumper cars, historic 1912 carousel, petting zoo and midway games. Over the past few years, it has also ramped up its family offerings with a daily parade and more appearances by licensed costumed characters such as Bugs Bunny and Wonder Woman.

Um, where is the petting zoo?

(I also didn't know the carousel was that old!)

Was that from the same report from this page/link?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/4035254.html

There is another article out with the same quote as stated earlier, but the article link states that it is "down for maintenance". It quoted something along the lines that the buyer is already talking to 6F about actually purchasing the site (a real-estate developer and he and his partners were in talks with the park chain). Sounds similar to the earlier quote, just a different author/paper.

The Motley Fool is supposed to be releasing an article on the park chain and possible sale of its parks later this week, but I'm quite sure we all know what they will say about the state of the park chain.

I think 6F will eventually unload the park, but whether other parks will be sold individually or as a package deal will remain to be seen. After July 16 we shall see if A-B is actually interested in the park (which I doubt it now) when they meet for their shareholders meeting/report.

It's pretty sad to see things like this at Magic Mountain with the employees acting so bad with the trash and neglect.

Atleast one thing Magic Mountain has going for them is atleast no one is dying on their coasters or getting hurt like at other places.but that doesn't matter too much.

I just wish that the employees would take pride in the jobs that they have.

Well it seems that the 15th will be the final nail in the coffin of the park.When the park is torn down the people will start moving out of the area due to the parks dimise. I wont be happy if this happens but why didnt ceider fair look into buying the park when they bought paramount parks. Hmmm that would have been the best way to do it.

tatsu ride count 12

viper ride count 230

batman ride count 340

x ride count 78

deja vu ride count 99

im not even going to name the rest

Awesome! The concept of a sentence goes way over your head, but you are the man when it comes to theme parks! I'm sure Mark Shapiro would love to hear your ideas.

I'm actually hoping they sell MM.

To another company, that is. Six flags sucks when it comes to cleanliness and reliability, atleast that's what i've seen with SFA. Who knows, maybe MM would be better with a different company.

I don't know about the other parks though, I know Elitch Gardens isn't much of a good park, not sure with Darian Lake.

Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens.

I sure as Hell don't want it gone...I mean sold and kept (like to Cedar Fair or somebody) would be totally alright. But, I haven't been on Tatsu or Revvy! They were both closed at the one time I've gone to Magic Mountain. That, and I have a while to go to catch up on coasterjunkie91350...I've got 3 batman rides, three on riddler, one on X, two on viper, two on Scream, one on goliath, two on Superman, and one on Ninja, so the park had better be open for a real long time.

On Screamscpae (my computer still is unable to make links), it stated that there was a press release from Six Flags singling out SFMM. Theywere saying that SFMM is improving in customer satisfaction rates. These areas include ride safety, overall safety, Childrens Ride's??, Employee Service??, Character Presence, and non-stop entertainment offerings. To me it is very ironic that SFMM improves in all of the areas that it is criticized for in less that a month. At least this is a good sign for SFMM.

Let's see if this link works

www.srceamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm[/u]

I sure as Hell don't want it gone...I mean sold and kept (like to Cedar Fair or somebody) would be totally alright. But, I haven't been on Tatsu or Revvy! They were both closed at the one time I've gone to Magic Mountain. That, and I have a while to go to catch up on coasterjunkie91350...I've got 3 batman rides, three on riddler, one on X, two on viper, two on Scream, one on goliath, two on Superman, and one on Ninja, so the park had better be open for a real long time.
The amount of rides where added over my 5yr employment there So go ahead and try to catch up to me but the rideing i have done was in chains one coaster 5 times one day and 5 on another. I rode goliath 58 times on its media day

Not wanting to stray too far off-topic, but I've always wanted to fly out to Southern Cal to go to this park. Unfortunately, it sounds like it may not be worth a trip given the state of the park--mainly, the uncertainty of whether all the coasters will be operating. How bad has it been this year?

I don't get it. Why do they want to sell the park if they recentely built Tatsu? This park also has some of the coolest/best rides there are, not to mention the historical rides (Revolution, Superman the Escape, Colossus, X, etc.)

This would be a great loss if this park is closed down. Let's hope it doesn't

I don't get it. Why do they want to sell the park if they recentely built Tatsu? This park also has some of the coolest/best rides there are, not to mention the historical rides (Revolution, Superman the Escape, Colossus, X, etc.)

This would be a great loss if this park is closed down. Let's hope it doesn't

Matey, you got the right idea!

Superman is not a historical ride. It could be ripped out and no one would care. Collossus and Revvy are though. Not to mention they've been immortalized in National Lampoons Vacation as well as Roller Coaster, well at least Revvy was in that last one anyways.

WOW! I really wish I had found this thread earlier. This article is very depressing as I will be visiting Six Flags in August. My parents visited it in the 80's and they said it had great family appeal then so I was exited to go with my mom but after reading this thread I'm not sure I even want to make the trip. To comment on other people's posts: A. Someone has already said this but historical value doesn't really mean anything if the historical stuff doesn't generate profit. If it did,we would still have Russian ice slides. And to correct some people-Revolution was not the first inversion-it was the first vertical loop but the first inversion was Corkscrew at Knotts Berry Farm-the ride is now located at Silverwood in Idaho. B. I don't think SF should sell Magic Mountain. Six Flags has already gone too far to make MM a teen-friendly park...some might say it's a bad thing but it HAS brought 3 million paeople-per-year to the park. I do agree that they could spend some time beautifying the park and getting the staff in line and definitely adding more security. Other than, that keep marketing it to teens! If MM doesn't fit in with the family theme, then take off the Six Flags label, take out the parades and characters, and quietly manage it. If people can't tell that it's a Six Flags park, you can keep entirely different from the rest of the chain and still gain profits. It's kind of like the Bonfante Gardens-former Paramount situation. I never knew that Paramount owned Bonfante(which I will also be visiting in August)! The reason is, Bonfante appeals to a different crowd than the rest of the chain but the crowds that go to Bonfante still made profits for Paramount. Well now that I've had my say, I'll probably silently keep wacthing this topic and wait for the outcome(you can't know what will happen until it is CONFIRMED)

Sorry if I made any errors in that-I tried to keep it as intellegent-sounding as possible for a 13-year-old.