TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Steel Dragon 2000 is open!

I found this article on Wikipedia Japan. Here's the link:

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%8A%E3%82%AC%E3%82%B7%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B9%E3%83%91%E3%83%BC%E3%83%A9%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89#.E4.BA.8B.E6.95.85

Here's a wacky translation (thanks to babelfish!)

"Accident steel dragon 2000 as in name that time when business is started, the highest terrestrial altitude and the maximum head, was the worldwide highest coaster which is registered to the Guinness book with the numerous section such as length and full speed from 2000, but (as for the production origin America), 44 of the coasters which are in the midst of travelling on 2003 September 30th is suitable to the inside half 88 of wheels fall, because passenger 1 name and 1 customers who are in the poolside under the coaster the accident which becomes the serious injury occurs, state of from now on business pause is continued. The case of routine inspection before the accident 1 month, it is seen as cause that the contractor has installed the part of the wheel to the unnecessary part. Aiming toward June business reopening from 2006 May, it is in the midst of permission applying in the national traffic ministry. Presently, the test which uses the new vehicle is done"

So it looks that they're finally going to reopen SD2K after the accident in 2003! Let's hope they get permission to do so

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that would be great but do you think it will actully happen.

Well it says in the translation that they are done testing the new trains. Why going trough all that trouble of getting new trains and testing them if you're not planned to use them?

This is good news to hear. But my question is, is why do they decide to open Steel Dragon 2000 again, right after a similar accident happened on The Wild Thing?

I'm not sure about this, but maybe they had to collect more data from another incident, such as The Wild Thing incident.

Why do you guy's doubt this so much. It's been 3 years. The coaster cost a $hit load of money. Trust me, they aren't going to let this coaster sit and rot for the next 20 or so years. They are going to open it. 3-5 years understandable, but not more than that.

There's nothing similar about Wild Thing's or SD 2000's accidents nor is there anything similar about the coasters: completely different track styles and completely different chassis and braking systems so the decision to reopen would be completely independent.

Well here's the text in japanese. Anyone who can read this and confirm what babelfish already confirmed?

事故

スチールドラゴン2000は名前の通り2000年より営業を開始した当時、最高地上高度、最大落差、長さ、最高速度といった数々の部門でギネスブックに登録されていた世界最高のジェットコースターであったが(製造元はアメリカ)、2003年9月30日に走行中のコースターの車輪88個のうち半分に相当する44個が落下し、乗客1名とコースター下のプールサイドにいた客1名が重傷となる事故が発生したため、以後営業休止の状態が続いている。

事故1ヶ月前の定期点検の際に請け負い業者が車輪の部品を不要な部分にまで取り付けていたことが原因と見られている。

年内(2006年の夏が会社側の希望)の営業再開を目指して、国土交通省と長島観光開発が動き出している。 近々、新車両を使用したテストを行う予定。

This has been floating around Japanese chat groups for a few months now. The park is now answering questions about the ride with an announcement of the desire to reopen the ride after testing of the new trains. This is a huge difference from the past three years of ignoring questions about SD2K and telling folks about all the other rides in the park!

I saw the ride today from about 6 or 7 miles. I couldn't see testing, but it was a Sunday.

While surfing on the Nagashima Spa Land website I saw some new stuff on the main page of the amusemant park that has something to do with SD2K. Can someone translate what is says, 'cause I can't (not yet!!!) read japanese!

The fact that the website mentions something about SD2K can only be something good or bad. Let's hope it's a message that they'll reopen it!

link: http://www.nagashima-onsen.co.jp/data/e1_1.html

d61_03.gif.c26fd6691d7219645942c3977849965d.gif

can someone translate the sentences under Peter Rabbit???

The trains should be replaced with "Hyper Morgan" ones, or even the trains they use on "Goliath" at Walibi World.

I look at the Wheels on the coasters and sometimes they have grooves in the middle and the tyres which push the coaster train forwards look like they are going to burst as the rubber is all frayed and hanging off.

Hope SD 2000 is running again as it's a shame to have it SBNO for so long.

^ I don't think a regular Morgan hyper train would work on SD2000 because their giga coaster design uses a different wheel system and track gauge than their hyper designs. And Goliath is an Intamin, so yeah, that's not gonna work either.

What I think will happen (assuming it does reopen at some point) is that Morgan will just make modifications to the old train designs when they build the new trains. SD2000 is a lot trickier to fix than Wild Thing, because the accident was caused by a flaw in the train designs if I'm not mistaken, so Morgan has to be extra careful to make sure it's not a recurring thing. Wild Thing's accident was caused by a track/mounting bracket problem that should've been caught by maintenance, so it was just a matter of fixing the one train and working out whatever happened with the track.

^ Here.

Exchange student says: NOPE. All that text under the Rabbit means that SD2000 is closed. Thats all she said. She did read on there, but I don't know where (obviosuly cause I don't read japanese), that they are going to open it Summer '06 with something new from America. Thats all she told me. I'm guessing the new thing from America would be the trains.

I put the japanese into a translater, and it came out with this: 2006 June 1st? In earth day holiday June 25th opening (* 1 time

approximately 30 minutes). That was the text under the bunny. It says more after that: Recreational area day holiday 1 9:00 recreational area central open

space 2 10:15 recreational area central open space 5 15:30

recreational area central open space 6 17:30 recreational area central

open spaces

Recreational area Saturday 1 9:30 recreational area central

open space 2 10:45 recreational area central open space 5 15:00

recreational area central open space 6 16:30 recreational area central

open spaces

Is, it is village day holiday 3 12:00 where is it is village

entrance gate 4 13:00 where is the village entrance gate which is

Is, village Saturday is it is 3 12:15 it is village entrance

gate 4 13:30 where is the village entrance gate which is

(* Depending upon the circumstance of the day there are times

when it becomes modification or the discontinuance as for the place

and time etc. without notice. Acknowledgement.) (*

ナガシマスパーランド rainy weather heavy weather

discontinuance. Is, at the time of the village rainy weather which is

at inside ベゴ two アガーデン it holds. Heavy weather

discontinuance)

I'm not really sure what it all means though.

^ Bwah we'll see what happens. But I bet that there where some Japanese coaster enthusiast that read it on Wikipedia and I know that they did some research about it. The fact that this is already soo long on Wikipedia and that nobody changed it so far, could possibly mean that it's true.

I still've got a good feeling about it!