TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

10 Greatest RIDES.....Ever?

I know the board gets this type of post all the time, but it usually just involves coasters. I'd like to broaden the scope just a bit, and see what you all think. I attempted this post a while back on another forum which will remain nameless. Unfortunately, the response there was almost nonexistent to say the least. I figured an attempt at a wider, more knowledgable and experienced audience may elicit better responses.

It's tough to say for everyone that the following 10 rides are necessarily the greatest ever for pure enojoyment and ridability(is that a word?), but I composed this list based on what I feel are the greatest and most significant rides in amusement/theme park history, if you will. So keep in mind the cultural significance, uniqueness, engineering mastery, continuous lines year after year, and finally the simple fondness many of us hold for each in their own repsect....and that's how the list came to be.

IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER (It was just too difficult)

1) The Carousel: Which one? Any. They remain an amusement park staple and a true artwork. The craftmanship that goes into each one is amazing, and as simple and overlooked as they may be when sitting next to a 400+ foot monster, you can't help but wanna ride one when you pass by...especially the rare remaining brass ring ones.

2) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Submarine Voyage (WDW): Think about it...has there ever been anything more ambitious than letting guests experience a "real" submarine ride in a park? Also, in the age of quickly produced cheap Hollywood Movie themed rides (i.e. Tomb Raider, etc.), was this not WAY before it's time, and the best example ever?

3) Pirates of the Caribbean: One word...Audio-Animatronics. This ride set the standard. I mean, just one pirate's leg continues to amaze millions! Please don't mention Disney's newest attempt to butcher a classic with the Depp character......that's still a sore spot.

4) The Haunted Mansion: Along the lines of Pirates, but still deserves it's own spot on the list. "Is this room actually stretching, or is it your imagination?"

5) Spiderman (IOA) The bar was set high with this one, and quite honestly may never be reached again. Sure, there were simulators before this, but this ride is true sensory overload! I can't comment on DarKastle, as I haven't ridden it yet, but I imagine anything will fall short of the ever-popular Spider-man character.

6) Dueling Dragons: As some enthusiasts continue to debate whether it's one or two separate coasters, the fact remains that regradless, this is a masterpiece. Individually, are they the greatest inverts out there?....No. Together, are they one of the most unique coaster creations in the world?....UNDENIABLY. Just remember folks, the B&M boys don't get to design a coaster, build it, test it, take it down, ship it, rebuild it, and then open it to the public. So the next time you're gazing in wonder at how close those feet get in the loop, remember the engineering involved to get it that way.

7) X: Always a mixed bag of reactions with this one, but it's hard to deny the brilliance behind the invention itself. These days, it's hard to capture the imaginations of enthusiasts. This was possibly the last time ALL of us were "in the dark" as to what kind of ride experience we could expect, you know? Let's face it, we had nothing similiar to compare it to.

8) Nemesis: It's easy to build record breaking height and speed coasters. It's not easy to build a "Top Ten" invert below the local tree line, and only B&M could handle a project like this one. This remains my number one "I wish I had the chance to ride that" coaster. The trenches, the blood river, the theme music (is it still played?). C'mon, this is another true coaster masterpiece, and the reason Germans are licking their chops at the thought of this year's Black Mamba!

9) Magnum XL200: The modern coaster wars started here. Funny how easy it is to slam the typical Arrow mega-looper for the rough rides they now produce, but Ron Toomer should be proud that Arrow sits strong in this list. Steel Force (Dorney) may be a smoother improvment by a competitor, but Magnum will always be the one to turn to. It may not be the ride it once was, but the location, the sheer fun of the ride, and the historical significance cement it's spot here.

10) The Matterhorn/Space Mountain: Why the combo? Well, although the Matterhorn was first, they both are so unique to the coaster world. The Matterhorn was the first tubular steel coaster. Some would argue that alone should put it in this list, and I wouldn't disagree with that. And Space Mountain (besides having a soft spot in my heart for being my first coaster ever), you can't dispute how this ride stood out when new, and still draws crowds. Maybe it's just the giant "flying chocolate chip cookie" projection flying overhead in the queue line? (at least, that's how I saw it as a kid)

I congratulate all of you who made it past that. I just thought it was a different look at the classic top ten list. Call it the Ride Hall of Fame, if you will. I'm sure I may have missed some significant ones out there, so it's up to you all for the feedback.

Here's some honorable mentions to consider:

The Disneyland Monorail

Top Thrill Dragster

Batman: The Ride

Star Tours

Coney Island Cyclone

Millenium Force

London Eye

Flyers

Von Roll Sky Rides

Noah's Arc @ Kennywood

The floor is open.....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting list, well thought out. I'm looking forward to checking out Nemesis with the rest of the UK Trip crew this June. The thought of an inverted coaster in a pit intrigues me, too.

DarKastle is a great ride, but not up to Spider-man (so I think you're on the money there). I think I would've included Disney's Indiana Jones ride as at least an honorable mention, mainly because it's Mr. Toad on mega-steroids (with fire)--it really pushes the envelope of dark-ride mechanical effects, I think.

I'll have to give some thought to rest of my list of top rides ever, but since you mention the rarity of brass ring carousels these days, I thought I'd mention the one sitting within view of my living room window.

These days it's a three-season attraction at Battleship Cove in Fall River, MA, but Southern New Englanders old enough to remember would know it as the Lincoln Park Carousel (PTC Carousel #54, 1920). Here's a link and a photo...it's a nice reminder of a favorite park of my childhood. And while my home park might be a two-and-a-half hour drive, this classic is a within a ten minute walk. I'll put this one at the top of my list of best carousels ever.

http://www.battleshipcove.org/carousel.htm

carousel-history-2.jpg.bfd2cce0eff53574b782204dab1df2cc.jpg

Photo courtesy of Battleship Cove

An interesting post.

Though it's hard to argue with Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and maybe even Space Mountain--the subs neither lasted (their upcoming resurrection notwithstanding) nor were copied much. They just don't seem to be in the same class.

Some other possibilities:

The Coney Island Cyclone is both historic and oft-copied. Not to mention, famous in a way that perhaps no other coaster ever has been.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is simply one of the most amazing rides in existence. That it has yet to really be copied (as opposed to cloned) is probably simply due to the fact that few other parks could afford to build anything akin to it.

The Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm was not only the first heavily themed log flume, but also the clear inspiration (and near-blueprint) for rides such as Splash Mountain and Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls. And, for my money, it has yet to be equaled.

No order for these and I may not end up with exactly 10 but here they go.

Bumper Cars - they are usually among the longest lines in any park for a reason, they are very enjoyable and can be done by pretty much everyone and equally enjoyed by thrill seekers and folks who wouldn't be caught dead on a coaster. Each ride is different and it is a great way in which you can (for the most part) control your own *destiny*, if you will, and it has great peer-to-peer interactions. Lusse's are by far the best but even the new modern plastic ones can be a hoot.

Carousel - no park can even consider itself legitimate without one, even if its a crappy Chance plastic piece. Truly an art form back in the day, they are easy to ride for anyone and can still be fun in this day and age. Band organs are highly recommended and ring catch's are a true bonus, and there is nothing more nostalgic than a wooden carousel cranking at a decent pace with a well-tuned band organ acccompaning the ride.

Vekoma Corkscrew Coasters - debuting in the late 1970s, the standard double corkscrew looper quickly ignited the "cloning" business in the industry, it secured Vekoma's place in the industry, and it paved the path for rides based upon a common blueprint for decaded to come, from the Boomerangs to Invertigos to SLCs and hate em or love em, Vekoma has done a lot of revolutionary things for the industry especially in terms of bringing affordable looping coasters to smaller parks.

Adventures of Spiderman & Revenge of the Mummy - these two advanced rides have evolved your traditional track-guided dark ride and roller coaster into immersive ride experiences that capture the immagination like never before and truly trick your mind into leaving sunny central Florida for these luscious paradises where the imagination is without limit. Truly the future of thrill rides, and while materials, space and costs may eventually cap the expanse of the biggest/tallest/fastest/etc rides out there, the imagination is without any limitations and these rides will always continue to evolve. These two in particular have paved the path in a transitional period in thrill ride technology. Honorable mention in this category to Tower of Terror, but Spidey and Mummy seem to really taken it from a ride-based attraction to an experience-based attraction, if that makes sense (it does to me at least! )

Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops - by bringing the launch to roller coasters, Sir Anton expanded the realistic extent of where roller coasters can grow and gain higher altitude more cheaply and effectively. These coasters led to the Intamin designs that have made 400+ foot cheaper (think the same price for Millennium as for Dragster, but one has an extra 120' on the other) and more space-conscious. The Schwarzkopf models were very reliable and are enjoyable to most if not all coaster fans, and with their meager 42" height requirment, it helped start those young, eager thrill seekers off right possibly a few years eariler than they could get on the big, bad 48" 'ers.

OK so that's 5 I will try to think of about 5 more tomorrow... so in recap, here is the simple explanation wh each gets mention:

Bumper Cars: popularity

Carousel: vintage

Vekoma Corkscrews: economics

Spidey/Mummy: the future

Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loops: engineering

- Joe

OK...my personal top ten anything anywhere rides, in no particular order:

1: The above-mentioned Battleship Cove Carousel. It was a favorite of my childhood having formerly stood at Lincoln Park, and having it within view of my living room window is a huge bonus for me.

2: Great Bear. Because of its placement, it's so unique among B&Ms. Awesome surroundings to boot!

3: El Rio del Tiempo, EPCOT. I love dark rides, and for me, this is one of the best. This always stood out in my mind as one of the most realistic dark rides I've ever experienced.

4: Superman: Ride of Steel, SFNE. If I had to name a single favorite coaster (which, realistically, I can't), this would probably be it. The perfect mix of speed, airtime, and elements. Not to mention the perfect location on the Connecticut River. The star attraction at my home park.

5: Joker's Jinx. I'm also a huge fan of launched coasters, but Jinx is enough of a tangled mess that it stands out above most. Rather than being a proverbial one-trick-pony like KK or TTD, Jinx delivers!

6: Disaster Transport. I'm including this for reasons one might not expect. My wife is a non-coaster-rider for motion sickness reasons, but this is one of two I've managed to get her on. Cedar Creek Mine Ride is the other, but Disaster Transport wins out because of air conditioning!

7: The Whip, Whalom Park. My personal favorite Whip anywhere.

8: Turkish Twist, Canobie Lake Park. When I was a kid I spent a day at Canobie riding Turkish Twist almost exclusively. I'm sure I got other rides in, but I can remember getting right back in line on TT for maybe fifty rides or more.

9: Log Flume. Not just any log flume, but one in particular. I don't remember which one it was (maybe Canobie, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhere in New England) but I distinctly remember a giant buzzsaw blade at the top of the last drop. It scared the crap out of me as a kid (which is why I remember it so fondly now). Does this sound familiar? If so, let me know where it is/was.

10: Hershey's Chocolate World. All I can say is "free samples at the end!"

Thanks for the response and the compliments so far, guys. There's some really good stuff you've all mentioned that I seem to have forgotten. Bumper cars, log flumes, Indy @ Disneyland, ToT, Mummy, etc.

Those are all really good nominations. The tricky part, I guess, would be deciding which one would stand out as the best in their respective category.

By the way, pete4winds, thank you for mentioning the Battleship Cove Carousel. I drive past that thing 2 times a year on a trip that takes me from Fort Lauderdale to Martha's Vineyard and back, yet I had NO clue whatsoever that it was there. You just made me alter my plans after I stop by SFNE on the way up this month.

My favorite non-coasters, in no particular order:

1) - Flyers at Knoebles

2) - Auto Skooters at Knoebels

3) - Looper at Knoebels

4) - Adventures of Spiderman

5) - Any Giant Frisbee

6) - Kangaroo at Kennywood

7) - Twister at Williams Grove (RIP)

8) - Breakdance at Coney Island

9) - Falling Star at Indiana Beach

10) - X-Scream at Stratosphere Tower

By the way, pete4winds, thank you for mentioning the Battleship Cove Carousel. I drive past that thing 2 times a year on a trip that takes me from Fort Lauderdale to Martha's Vineyard and back, yet I had NO clue whatsoever that it was there. You just made me alter my plans after I stop by SFNE on the way up this month.

If you DO get to stop by Battleship Cove later this month, look me up. Shoot me an email (the email buttons below and on my profile are set to accept), and if I'm home on the day(s) you're in the area, we'll hit the carousel.

This was a good subject indeed!.

Two comments on your post I wish to add is as follows:

Haunted Mansion-what an innovation (far ahead of its time). I recall when I was young that I was scared out of my pants in just the pre-show...LOL

To this day I believe Disney has the wraps on a couple of their "tricks" in that ride, even when most people "know" how they did it, Disney says "NO" to their respons(es)..lol

Spiderman-Universal's Creative team certainly set the bar high and if I recall some of their executive mgmt comments: "It far exceeded our OWN expectations!" The graphics, creativity, design of ride system may have been the pre-cursor to the Mummy ride. I have worked for BEC (Busch Gardens Corp) for many years and have not ridden DK yet. But, I would agree that I believe it will take another innovation or an entirely NEW ride concept to surpass Spidey. On that note, I recall at one point that Univ. Management/Executives were questioning themselves if (Spiderman) would ever come to fruition based on the complications of designing the track/ride system (good that they worked out the problems). Can't wait to see whats on the horizon (for dark rides/technology) within the next 4-6 yrs.

1. Flyers at Knoebels

2. Any Lusse Auto Skooters

3. Any Star Flyer

4. Phoenix

5. Any well run Whip

6. Drachen Fire

7. Kumba

8. Any well run Scrambler

9. Any well run Pirate Ship

10. Any Curtis Summers coaster in its first 2 years of operation

Kind of what I came up with on the fly when I saw this topic, so I'll just go with it.

I finally sat and read this thread. The first post by BeemerBoy, who also started this topic, was one of the best I've read.

"The Timber Mountain Log Ride at Knott's Berry Farm was not only the first heavily themed log flume...And, for my money, it has yet to be equaled." (Electerik)

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I enjoy Knott's flume more than Splash Mountain. My first ride on it was in Summer 1969 before the theming inside was completed. (Not sure why they opened it before the scenery was done, but...whatever.)

Eric

This is a good thread, very interesting.

One ride that has to be mentioned is a Waveswinger!

Which now brings me on to a completely random question, why doesn't RCT have Waveswingers and Waltzers?

Now then my top ten, in no order.

1. Space Mountain (DLR Paris)

2. Volcano, Fantasy Island UK (S&S Space Shot)

3. Nemesis

4. Grand National

5. Log Flumes (any, I just love them)

6. Fireball, Pleasurewood Hills (KMG)

7. Intamin Drop Towers

8. Maurer Söhne spinning coasters, jus plain fun alround

9. Any B&M Inverters!

10. Big Thunder Mountain (DLR Paris)

• 2 months later...

1. Viper (SFGAm) - This ride is and always will be my most favorite woodie. It has a great layout with tons of airtime that seems like it lasts forever. It's a fast paced ride with a few breaks in it so you have a chance to breathe.

2. Raging Bull (SFGAm) - This is a great ride. For the first B&M hypertwister and it being 7 years old, it's a smooth and well thought out ride. However, the fin brakes take away all the airtime... they suck.

3. Batman: The Ride (SFGAm) - There are two reasons why this ride is awesome: 1 - because it opened in the year I was born. 2 - It's 13 years old and still smooth as a baby's bottom.

4. Gwazi Blue (BGA) - Both Gwazi yellow and blue are great rides, but the blue one has a lot more twists and turns while the yellow one just seems like a filler. The first drop has a ton of airtime for only 90 feet - I love it!

5. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (WDW) - The ride itself isn't that exciting, but the theming is great. From the start with bats flying around you in the pitch black, you know it's another great Disney Ride.

6. Paul Bunyan's Log Flume - This is the longest log flume I've ever been on. Plus, it's not some "let's stick a random log ride in the middle of the park!" thing. This ride has a ton of theming. Plus, the theming is exciting (such as when you start, a tree is falling over your head)

7. Huss Discs - I just love these.

8. Superman: Ultimate Flight (SFGAm) - Okay, sure you might say "it's boring and it only has a pretzel loop and a roll" but this ride is like nothing I've ever experienced before.

9. All rides at the Park at MOA - The atmosphere at The Park at MOA is awesome. It's always warm and you never have to worry about rain, snow, or humidity. It's always 80 degrees and sunny at the park at MOA!

10. Entrancing Light Tunnels (any park) - Take Demon for example at SFGAm.

While that first post was pure brilliance, now I am just seeming people's top ten lists. That is not about your favorite rides, it is more about inovativeness and what sparked the evolution of the theme park/ride business.

I see rides like Viper (SFGam) on lists. You must remember what this ride was modeled after. The Coney Island Cyclone.

Then there is Katun (Mirabilandia) somewhere on this list. Where would Katun be if there was no Batman The Ride at SFGam?

Some may say Millenium Force. While I see how you can think that because it was the first giga coaster, Magnum should be on top of it. If it wasn't for Magnum sparking the coaster wars as BeemerBoy said in the first post, we probably wouldn't have ever seen the Force.

I have to say that Intamin first Gen. freefall's are a big one. The sparked the freefall type rides.

What a great topic idea! Just to warn, there may be a lot of Disney on here. I'm biased, I admit. In no order:

The Haunted Mansion (DL, WDW, TDL): Ok, so I'm a little biased for the Mansion, seeing I'm currently a butler at the Master's Florida home... BUT it still can easily be considered a pinnacle in the "spook house" style of dark ride. For a ride that's been relatively unchanged for around 37 years and it still has guests leaving saying "How'd they do that?" That's longevity.

The Loch Ness Monster (BGE): It may not be the nicest or the best ride ever, but with its interlocking loops, it's one of the, if not the, most photographed coasters in the world. It's also carried on as an icon of Busch Garden thrills since its opening.

The Flight of Fear (PKD, PKI) and Superman: The Escape (SFMM): The first of the LIM/LSM launched coasters, creating a whole new style of beginning. Not only did it create a revolution in the way coasters were designed, but Superman had a speed record that was unbroken for 6 years. In the hot and heavy coaster competition, that's rather impressive.

Coney Island Cyclone (Astroworld): The wooden that, too many people, is the basis of what a good or bad wooden coaster means. It's also the inspiration for many a designer. Quite literally the coaster equivalent to "Often imitated, but never duplicated".

Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter: Though we won't know its legacy till later, I feel the 97 degree drop coaster will become extremely popular in design. We shall see when Mystery Mine opens, seeing it'll be the first of its kind in the states.

Pirates of the Caribbean (DL): For its technological advances alone, it deserves to be on the list. Captivating millions for years, along with being the basis of a hugely popular franchise, it's just icing on the cake.

The Wave Swing: It's one of those rides that almost everywhere, you're bound to find one. It may not be the most popular ride in the park, but it's there.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (Disney-MGM Studios): The Tower of Terror totally redefined not only the drop tower, but Disney as well. The Tower is one that was a statement to the public, saying that Disney could do a high thrill ride, but still gives it that extra Disney push to the limit. It's also, I feel, one of those rides that can really only exist once. Even Disney can't duplicate it when they clone it to other parks. Lightning doesn't strike twice, no pun intended.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man (IOA): Amazing is the key word. Spider-man has completely revolutionized the simulator ride and is now one of those rides to beat. Though I have not personally ridden DarKastle, the closest to Spider-Man, from what I've heard, it still doesn't live up.

Stealth/BORG Assimilator (PGA/Paramount's Carowinds): Again, a first of its kind but another sort of revolution in design. Though flying coasters may seem like more the novelty act of the coaster world, it’s safe to say that they certainly are popular and changed the idea of how a coaster goes about the track.

While that first post was pure brilliance, now I am just seeming people's top ten lists. That is not about your favorite rides, it is more about inovativeness and what sparked the evolution of the theme park/ride business.

I have to say that Intamin first Gen. freefall's are a big one. The sparked the freefall type rides.

1. Thank you for the compliment.

2. I'm glad you noticed what you did, and made the points you did.

3. Interesting thought about the Intamin first generation freefalls. While I don't think they deserve top ten treatment, they are a definate honorable mention. I had never really thought about them as the pioneers in the drop tower movement, but it stands to reason.

^ Jack, nice job. As a kid, I always wanted to do one of the following: Drive the monorail, or be the greeter at the Haunted Mansion. I gotta say, there's a small part of me that's pretty jealous of you.

Yeah! Someone bumped this thread into action again.

I already submitted a post earlier in the forum, but I would like to add a couple of items.

1. Honorable (or Honorary) Mention goes out to all of the designers, show creators, engineering staff, the parks themselves and so on for a job well-done. Without these invaluable creative people, none of these rides (perhaps) would have been mentioned.

2. I wish to add the Monorail system. Granted, the ride was originally designed/built around the 1930's for a World's Fair (if history serves me correctly), but the vision of Sir Walt himself certainly ressurected that idea into a novel concept as a people-mover/transporation system. A system that is not only in use today, but other venues such as Las Vegas and other major city-hubs use some sort-of concept adopted from the monorail. The Disney PTS Monorail certainltly has a safety and reliability record that most parks dream of.

3. I would have to include the defunct BAT, formerly at Kings Island. Most all of us are aware of its history and so forth, but I would also consider the BAT as ground-breaking in terms of engineering marvel during a time period when computers/technology was really beginning to advance to where we are today. Similar to what "X" did with today's technology.