TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Uh Oh, Timberrrr Tower is no longer featured on DW's website! I guess we all know what that means by now.

It's sad though, cause it was such a good concept, even if it wasn't terribly thrilling. Plus, any ride with water-spraying beavers deserves a few extra points.

Damn, will the Hershends ever go back to Huss again?

Damn, will the Hershends ever go back to Huss again?

Not if they know what's good for them... I never liked this ride, which was unfortunate especially considering how much I had been looking forward to it. It took me 4 trips down there to get the credit, as it was always closed down when I was there (not an easy trip from Cincinnati, either), and after finally getting on it, it looked a lot better than it actually was. I don't think this ride being removed would affect the GP that much at Dollywood.

-James Dillaman

No...not a drop tower. It would look ugly sticking up from the mountains.

However, a Frisbee like that survey had several years back would have been nice.

I doubt they'll remove Timber Tower. It will probably down for quite some time though. (Of course, it normally is anyway!)

Actually a frisbee ride would also be nice at Dollywood. Maybe not one from Huss . A frisbee would do nice in any place of the park but imagine if they installed a frisbee where riders face outwards and it was placed between two mountains. While your swinging your feet dangle just a couple of feet above the mountain and your facing the mountain at the same time. That would be pretty fun.

Oh and regarding the drop tower, I still think it would be nice for Dollywood to get one. You go lets say 250 feet into the air and then the ride stops at the top for a couple of seconds and while your sitting there you get to admire the great Smoky Mountains and then with a click your plunging back to the ground. Even a view tower woould be nice.

I'm not trying to say what Dollywood should get because Dollywood IMO has been doing a more than excelent job in picking new rides for the park. Thunderhead was pure genius .

Well now.......

I sure am happy I got my Timber Tower credit right after it opened.

I really don't know what I find this situation funny, but then again, I'm probably just relived that its one ride I can say I've ridden BEFORE it crapped out.

Usually the rides like to crap out before I get a chance to ride them. By the time they re-open they are old news. I guess I can put Timber Tower in with Stealth and POS--er--SOB on my list of rides i don't have to think about ridding again after their potential downfall.

Timber Tower is not a great ride anyway. The themeing is what made it worth while.

In response to the drop tower idea: A double-shot wouldn't be much taller than timber tower is, and the thrill is great. I love riding the one at Indiana Beach and at Holiday World as they provide much more forces than say power tower at Cedar Point (which is LAME). They could put in in the valley, and you wouldn't even see it sticking above the mountains.

-James Dillaman

• 4 weeks later...

Its Official!!

http://www.coasterbuzz.com/2007-200-339092.htm

Dollywood announces $5 million River Battle ride

Thursday, July 19, 2007 2:39 PM ET |

A battle is brewing in Dollywood’s Timber Canyon area as work begins on River Battle, the theme park’s new water adventure ride set to open in 2008.

The $5 million River Battle is a themed water raft ride equipped with powerful soaker guns. Nine rafts, each with room for eight passengers, follow a 500-foot channel. As the rafts navigate the waters, the battle begins as passengers, each armed with a soaker gun, take aim at each other and more than 100 targets along the way, including large-scale “talking animals”—beavers, skunks, otters, bears and more. Some of the targets shoot back while others display a variety of special effects, creating surprises at every turn and ensuring that no two rides are ever exactly the same. River Battle also engages park guests along the ride’s banks. While rafters are soaking each other in raft-to-raft sparring, they also can “shoot” observers along the way in “raft-to-shore” fun. In the park’s ongoing effort to provide opportunities to bring families closer, River Battle is yet another ride addition that allows parents and children to ride together.

“When I was a kid, me and my brothers and sisters used to sneak away and start up a river battle of our own, but I never dreamed that kind of childhood fun would end up creating a great ride like my new River Battle,” Dolly Parton said.

With an hourly ride capacity of 800 passengers, River Battle will be located just beyond Dollywood’s Mystery Mine steel coaster, which was just named 2007 Best New Attraction by themeparkinsider.com. The project also includes a new 750-foot walkway that provides a direct route to the park’s Craftsman’s Valley area from Timber Canyon. The new connector represents the largest earthworks project since the Dollywood Express train’s track bed was completed in 1960. The connector project entails moving 170,000 cubic yards of soil and rocks—the equivalent of 8,500 truck loads.

“The addition of River Battle continues to expand on the award-winning attractions we offer in the Timber Canyon area,” said Ken Bell, Senior Vice-President. “In addition to creating a fun new ride for our guests, we will improve the flow of traffic as guests will be able to access two vital areas of our park via the new connector.”

^ If I remember from looking at a park map, it's going to be a long distance for the path.

It seems kind of early for a park to announce what's happening next year. Sounds like a cool new ride.

Is this one of those Splash Battle things? If so, it sounds like another totally awesome addition for Dollywood.

As for early announcement, Dollywood has always announced their attractions "early" in a way. As a matter of fact, Mystery Mine was announced around this time of year too (last year).

But back on topic, I hope this attraction is themed well and has lots of splash sections.

I don't know what to make of this. Dollywood already has a raft ride. And they aren't wanting for more water rides. I'd like to see another installation like Roller Soaker at Hersheypark, even though the capacity totally blows on that.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll do an awesome job installing it. I look forward to seeing what they come up with.

Sounds alright, I'm not sure why they added another water ride, but it sounds cool. Definitely a crowd pleaser on a hot day.

If I remember from looking at a park map, it's going to be a long distance for the path.

The map is not scaled correctly, those two areas are actually alot closer together.