TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

I always have faith in Dollywood, they tend to push hard because they have a huge reputation, Dolly is a busy woman and people travel the WORLD just to see her. They have that rep because of their big attraction openings. Their latest opening that wasn't on opening day was Mystery Mine, but that's because it was planned for Friday the 13th in April. They have 2 weeks and 3 days. I have high faith in them, I really do.

In general going to a park on opening day is a gamble. One never knows if the park is on a aggressive or conservative construction schedule.

In Dollywood's case, on the record, park officials have said they want the ride ready for the March 19 opening day, which is only 8 months. I have also read, probably on this board, that Dollywood wanted to start testing the ride in February. I do not know how Tennessee's inspection process flows; however, it would make sense that a ride a park wants to open in mid March would begin being tested and inspections in February. That would allow time for the inspections and any things that need to be resolved before opening.

For the people coming to Dollywood opening day I think you will be disappointed if you want ride this roller coaster. I do not think it will be ready.

I do not know how Tennessee's inspection process flows

Well first they go into the church in Craftsman's valley and say some hail mary's. Then they let Earl ride it. Sometimes he downs some Jack if it's a major ride like this and it's got him shaking in his boots. If Earl makes it back and says it's okay then Bubba rides it. And if Bubba and Earl both ride it and say it's ready to open then let er' rip!

I think I covered it, someone let me know if I missed anything.

Well first they go into the church in Craftsman's valley and say some hail mary's. Then they let Earl ride it. Sometimes he downs some Jack if it's a major ride like this and it's got him shaking in his boots. If Earl makes it back and says it's okay then Bubba rides it. And if Bubba and Earl both ride it and say it's ready to open then let er' rip!

I'm cracking up while sitting on the toilet reading this and I think people around me are wondering if I'm okay

I would volunteer to be Earl and I love myself some whiskey.

In general going to a park on opening day is a gamble. One never knows if the park is on a aggressive or conservative construction schedule.

In Dollywood's case, on the record, park officials have said they want the ride ready for the March 19 opening day, which is only 8 months. I have also read, probably on this board, that Dollywood wanted to start testing the ride in February. I do not know how Tennessee's inspection process flows; however, it would make sense that a ride a park wants to open in mid March would begin being tested and inspections in February. That would allow time for the inspections and any things that need to be resolved before opening.

For the people coming to Dollywood opening day I think you will be disappointed if you want ride this roller coaster. I do not think it will be ready.

You just choked the one puppy that stopped crying. It is now dead. I hope you're happy.

In a perfect world testing would have been started earlier, but like most construction projects random imperfect things occur that can delay a perfectly planned schedule. However, unless Dollywood lives under a rock or has no regard for the outside world, they would have probably officially delayed opening by now if they didn't think it was possible by Opening Weekend. There are countless local, regional, and national media outlets ready to cover the grand opening of Lightning Rod. Dollywood has probably already been working with many media outlets, and you can bet they already have their schedules made for whatever for media event they may have planned. I doubt Dollywood would pull a SFGAm and call off media events with under a week's notice. It's just not a cool PR move to make. I think we will know sooner, rather than at the last minute, if Lighting Rod will open by March 19.

Testing is not as much about time as it is the number of successful cycles. It doesn't take long to mount accelerometers to make sure the forces are all in check and the ride won't make our heads explode or cause brain trauma. It doesn't take months to get 100 cycles if that's what it takes. Of course anything can go wrong during testing, but I have more faith in RMC than I do in many other manufacturers. Once RMC and state inspectors say it's safe (doesn't take long based on experience), operations can be trained which is much easier and more efficient to do when you aren't operating daily (based on experience).

As someone mentioned earlier, Wicked Cyclone opened two weeks after the first test cycle. I'm sure as long as there is faith Lightning Rod will open on time on behalf of RMC and Dollywood, we can expect some insane hours to be put into this ride up to the last minute.

Alright people, I've had enough! Here's why it will open on time. Cause Dolly is Magic! Pure and simple. She's magic. I personally have seen her do things that no human being can do. For instance, the last 3 or 4 Christmases she has appeared and disappeared in a haze of shimmering light and butterflies? Often 4 or 5 times daily. How does someone do that? Magic I tell ya! Magic! And you think not opening a ride on time can stop that kinda magic! Ba Humbug! I say to you all! As long as Dolly and magic still live, this ride will be open on passholder preview day, and I for one will be there at the gate waiting for it to do so. Probably in a haze of golden light and butterflies!

the Dollywood site has some side-by-side comparison photos of concept art versus actual... but not all of the pics are super accurate. the quad down isn't even a pic of the quad down lol

http://www.dollywood.com/themepark/rides/LightningRod?cid=eml_001295#rideProg

OMG they've changed the name again to Lightning Road!

well you better not be taking this seriously