TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walibi Belgium Discussion Thread

Vertigo, the suspended coaster type ride from Doppelmayr has been postponed until 2007 following technical difficulties...

It says the ride passed the initial testing stages, but fails to function as necessary.

This is the second high profile ride not to open in 2006, following on from the Flying Dutchman project at Efteling, which has also been postponed until 2007.

If I read correct the test with one gondel worked but when using more gondels (carts?) it is not working...

No Flying Dutchman either (being on holiday, I missed a lot of news)... That's twice I'll save on entrance tickets this year...

Let's hope it works out for next year...

Vertigo, the suspended coaster type ride from Doppelmayr has been postponed until 2007 following technical difficulties...

It says the ride passed the initial testing stages, but fails to function as necessary.

This is the second high profile ride not to open in 2006, following on from the Flying Dutchman project at Efteling, which has also been postponed until 2007.

If I read correct the test with one gondel worked but when using more gondels (carts?) it is not working...

Kind of! The thing is that Vertigo uses a brand new radiosystem where all the 8 cars are in contact with each other. The 8 cars are all in contact with each other thanks to this 'radio' system. For example, when one car is going much slower, the cars behind can go slower too, so no horrible accidents happen.

As Rudy Hulsman, General Manager of Walibi Belgium said: "Vertigo is finished for 95%, it's just the other 5% that still have to be studied more".

Walibi Belgium tried everything they could to open Vertigo this week. But let's say they did want it to open this year...Let's say that working on this new system would take 1 month. Then Walibi still has to wait for the approval of TÜV, which can probably take a month. Vertigo would open in october and the Walibi season lasts untill November. It would be stupid!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thanks for posting the video

That looks bloody amazing, what an awsome looking ride. Where are the supports??? stunning to look it, the ride looks fun also, nice restraints and good for all ages.

Going to ask a stupid question, what is holding it up?? the weight and stress on the track must be massive.

Have to be lots of redundant safety mechanisms on the start where the 'car' joins the track, bit like the Vekoma tilt coaster.

I for one would love to ride this unique coaster.

Thanks alot for the video! Vertigo looks great! I can't wait to ride it, the video makes it look like you're really going to be flying up there!

Going to ask a stupid question, what is holding it up?? the weight and stress on the track must be massive.

The few supports the coaster has, are massive! They're certainly big and strong enough to hold up the track and the cars riding it, also i don't think the track is very heavy.

RcFanatic-

Granted the supports are very large, but there are very few and they are a long distance apart from each other. You think about a 'normal' coaster where there is a support holding up the track every few feet.

Obviously this track is a lot lighter, but it still has to be very strong. Amazing engineering, not surprised it was a wee bit late opening!! Would like to hear more about the materials used in its construction and what were the problems that held it up.

This is essentially a hybrid suspension bridge - roller coaster. The hills are all catenary curves under self weight. Not the most thrilling centerline for ride dynamics but the lack of supports more than makes up for it.

I used to work on suspension and cable-stayed bridges and have had a similar vision for years. Guess I'm heading to Walibi post Toverland next summer.

I would assume the track is a cable with some sort of sheath for the track itself.

Cable strength is on the order of 270,000 pounds per sq in vs typical A36 steel strength of 36,000 pounds per sq in.

But with the cable being the main structural element, and fatigue loading, etc. there is generally a HUGE factor of safety for stresses.

My guess is that the cables were sized for deflection first and then passed easily from a strength standpoint. If the cable were very flimsy then the train weight would force the cable into two linear segments. The cable weight essentially counters the train load so the kink is not evident.

I think the track is steel, its certainly made of something strong and it looks solid. All i know is that the track is, like Coaster Joe said, suspended like a suspension bridge on cables.

1000876768_VertigoConstruction7.JPG.8409640b94e6085e91d1de154c1a5dbe.JPG

The track from up close. (pic by me).

357834431_VertigoConstruction6.JPG.47f07ed4bd7b70c2d9e2fe8749728995.JPG

More cables. (pic by me).

1475034738_VertigoConstruction2.JPG.6651a7b5098688f7bcfa10b712549d90.JPG

The track looks like its hanging from cables. (pic by me).

• 1 month later...