TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The official ANTI (watching) EVEREST VIDEOS thread

pardon me, but am i the only person here who doesn't want to know anything more about expedition everest before i actually ride it??? all these videos and trip reports and descriptions that are popping up are no fun, if you ask me. it's like telling someone, "dude, you have to go see the movie 'the 6th sense' cuz bruce willis's character is actually dead throughout the whole movie, even though you only find out in the end."

now, before i get flamed, i don't mean people should stop posting their videos, and i know that i don't have to watch them. i'm just asking out of curiosity:

am i the only person who wants to be suprised by my first ride and wishes there wasn't so much temptation to spoil it all by watching a video of it?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can agree with that. Sometimes overkill can happen with things in general, and some things in particular.

Still - it is your choice whether to a) read about the attraction, and/or b) watch the video of it....... yes? No?

And considering this attraction has been in forum boards since it was first announced back in 2003... well, good luck in avoiding it, lol.

But - nothing will ever replace your "first time" on it, ok?

~ ~ ~ ~

Though not exactly the same, it is like finding out all the backstage stuff of a particular new show on Broadway, knowing how it starts and ends, having the CD of the cast recording - and seeing photos of the original cast on stage. But, it still doesn't take the place of the LIVE experience itself, once you finally take it in.

it's like telling someone, "dude, you have to go see the movie 'the 6th sense' cuz bruce willis's character is actually dead throughout the whole movie, even though you only find out in the end."

HEY I NEVER SAW THAT MOVIE!!! THANKS FOR RUINING IT!!!

I have refrained from watching the video or reading any spoilers. I've followed the ride's construction closely but I want my ride to be a surprise. All I know is that there is a small terrain section before the lift, the backwards section comes almost immediatly after the lift, and that there's a huge Yeti inside. I haven't even seen what the Yeti looks like, all I know is that you encounter him at least twice, once as a prjection and once as a huge animatronic. I have no clue what the layout is and how the story goes.

So I guess I know more than the average Disney guest who is riding for the first time, but I still only know the basics compared to the people who have watched the POV. I want to keep the ride a surprise for me. It's sorta like ROTM, all I knew before going on that is that it was launched, had a backwards section, a scarab beetle section, and a part where the roof catches on fire; I think keeping myself relitively in the dark made the ride more exciting the first time.

Personally I find attractions of this size and hype will always turn out to be dissapointments purely due to the amount of publicity they get.

I'm almost always impressed more by rides that I never hear about compared to the blockbuster rides that I read every tiny detail about.

^ I agree with especially the first part. And one of the reasons why I wanted to see all the EE videos was to know what to expect when I went into it. In my mind, NOTHING could have lived up to the hype of this ride, nor would it have been possible to ignore the hype, and actually seeing the videos I feel has brought my expectations down to a realistic level.

I feel that had I not seen the videos, I might have been dissapointed by the ride. But now knowing what to expect, I think I'm going to quite enjoy it!

--Robb "I've always been one of those 'oh, just tell me the ending' kind of people!" Alvey

I'm not watching the videos or reading too into the trip reports that give a detailed ride thru experience, mainly because

1. I DO want to have some surprise value when I finally ride this in April

and

2. I AM riding this in April, trip is booked.

If it was something I was on the fence about riding this year and I saw there were videos, I'd watch just to see if I should make it a point to try and get there this year. I did that last year with Powder Keg. Didn't follow construction, didn't pay attention at the EastCoaster speech about it, didn't know anything about it. But thanks to Robb's video and Elissa's review, I decided it was worth a visit.

I'll do the same thing with Black Mamba when it opens. I haven't seen pictures of it since the lift hill, and I won't until I get there in September.

The most I know about Everest is the train shoots steam, it goes up a lifthill, there's some sort of backwards section somewhere in there, and there's at least 1 yeti dude at some point looking pretty P.O.ed.

The only upcoming 2006 coasters that I will actually watch the videos before I ride them will be Tatsu and Goliath at La Ronde, because I don't anticipate going to these parks this year unless the rides are incredible. Same goes with Patriot, but I am almost certain THAT won't be incredible, seeing how similar it is to my little Talon friend down the street.

well my guess would be that if you want to be surprised at what the ride has in store for you, then just don't click on any links that say anything about

Expedition Everest, because you know it's going to have reviews, pics, vids.

I don't know if I will get around to ever riding it, so seeing the video is great.

Not me! I look up to TPR and other coaster sites to find all about the new coasters and all the POV's I can find!!! Well because the chances of me actually going to ride it are slim to none due to my living situations!! So I like to get all the information as possible!!!

I am also the type of person who would like to know everything about the ride before I ride it anyways!! That way it gets me more excited about it!!! After watching POV's and reading reports on it just hypes me up that much more about it!!!!

Mike" also TPR is pretty much my theme/amusement park for now"Black

Well, I probably won't ever be able to get to experience the attraction itself (darnit), so for me, I must say, I was biased in finding out and eventually knowing everything there was to know about E:E - couldn't really avoid it, I'd been following it's creation for so long now.

And the video(s) was/were a good payoff for me, personally, IMhO.

Spoilers Ahead...

I had pix of the construction from the foundation up, so I already knew where the other lifthills were, where the backwards part happened... The only thing I really got wrong in it all, was the helix at the back of the mountain. I reversed the exit and entry of each train.

Oops.

So that turned out to be my 'surprise,' heh heh.

I understand your feelings here; I usually don't check out videos of new rides, either, because I like there to be a few surprises.

That being said, there are plenty of folks who may not get a chance to check out E:E themselves, so it's good that the videos are available. As others have said, you don't have to watch them.

I admit folks. I didn't mean to watch the video. I was pressured into it by my peers. More specifically, Mr. Six told me to see it. He said "Come on, man. Its cool. Everyones watching it." I was nearly weeping when I watched it.

Lol...I only checked out the video, as it will be years before I can ever get on this thing. Might as well see what its like, as it wouldn't be ruining my expirence. I forgot what I did in school today--I'm pretty sure I'll forget the details of this ride.

-Jahan "I forget my last name" Ma.......hmmm.

it's like telling someone, "dude, you have to go see the movie 'the 6th sense' cuz bruce willis's character is actually dead throughout the whole movie, even though you only find out in the end."

HEY I'VE NEVER RIDDEN EVEREST!!! THANKS FOR PUTTING THE YETI IN YOUR AVATAR FOR THE AVATAR CONTEST AND RUINING IT!!!

-Julie

I was reluctant at first but i finally gave in and watched the video. I still want to ride it a whole lot. I feel like theres an important part of the story that im missing by just watching the video. By watching the video it helped my decide to plan my next trip to FL without centering everthing around everest.

HEY I'VE NEVER RIDDEN EVEREST!!! THANKS FOR PUTTING THE YETI IN YOUR AVATAR FOR THE AVATAR CONTEST AND RUINING IT!!!

-Julie

Then I guess neither of you would be interested in how either The Others or The Ring ends, hmmm?

ive seen the videos, but dont think that it is going to take away from the overall experience. Disney adds so much more to a ride than just the thrill, so riding it for the first time is going to be completely different than watching it from a computer screen.

To each their own.