TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Countdown to TG's opening date announcement.

SFOT Facebook

Just 7 more days until we make the big announcement! Share our page with your friends so they can be the first to know exactly when the New Texas Giant will open. Be sure to check out our New Texas Giant tab for the exciting news!

I read an article that mentioned a Memorial Day opening. Not sure where they got that date or if they prematurely leaked it.

If they wait all the way till Memorial Day Weekend, at the end of May, then I'm going to have issues with them plastering all over their page "SPRING 2011"

Spring is Easter, not Memorial Day. Just sayin'

OOOO, an Easter weekend opening! I can see the ads now: "This Easter, come take a spin on the New Texas Giant. It's been resurrected from the dead and it'll make ya see God!"

Yeah, I just found the article that mentioned a Memorial Day opening, and it's credibility seems non-existant. It mentions Mrs. Fields will be making its debut at the park this season, which actually has been at the park for a few years and was removed for this season.

I'm still feeling an April opening. Memorial Day seems a bit late into the season.

Uh oh, it seems as if the official NTG page has added a nasty word in front of Spring 2011...."Late"....and since Summer doesn't official start until June 21st.....well, Memorial Day would be in that realm. Pure 100% speculation until Monday.

Edited by chadster

Got some new pictures today, which was opening day (of the park's 50th season):

A few more photos, including the new sign and a (very) short video showing the completed layout from the train, are here: http://www.guidetosfot.com/features/giantreinvented/ Unfortunately the tower was closed due to high winds preventing any aerial shots yet again.

Not too many other changes for the park that I saw. Papa John's was replaced by "Primo's Pizzerria," the entrance to the Chaparral Antique Cars was moved to a very awkward position, and that's about it that I saw... They were having some ongoing issues with several of the big rides. Shockwave was closed, Freeze and Batman kept going down, and Superman (Tower of Power) was e-stopped while I rode it, which meant for a chilly, slow descent to the ground.

I will say that I overheard numerous people who were looking for the line to the Giant, so either the park did a poor job of making it obvious that the ride wouldn't be open yet, or I was just surrounded by higher-than-average ignorance.

That track looks awesome on the wooden supports, especially the drop. Just wondering, did the re-hab make the ride shorter or longer?

Shorter. The ride is 10' taller, but it got rid of the double-helix around the lift in favor of a crazy-looking hill and swoop under the lift. Personally I won't miss the lift helix as it was the low point of the ride IMO, and its replacement looks pretty to me.

^^ I think almost anything is better than Papa John's.

Agreed. I've tried to like their pizza so many times but the crust has always been soggy and gross.

At all the Six Flags parks, it was cheap (in comparision). However, I found it average.

On the Six Flags website after you navigate to SFOT and then to RIDES, you'll see that the New Texas Giant also says "opening late spring" on there... and it says that NTG will NOT be available with a Flash Pass.

I'm all for that! Maybe after it's been open a couple of years they can add it to Flash Pass, but those lines are going to be looooooooooong this year and the last thing I'd want to see is a bunch of folks doing a "legit cutting in line" to make it even longer.

and it says that NTG will NOT be available with a Flash Pass.

I followed the directions, however, I am unable to find where is says NTG will not be available with a flash pass, perhaps you could be so kind to post a link for a blind man?

On a side note, Shockwave is advertised to open in April, similar to last year.

I followed the directions, however, I am unable to find where is says NTG will not be available with a flash pass, perhaps you could be so kind to post a link for a blind man?

On a side note, Shockwave is advertised to open in April, similar to last year.

For what it's worth, the Six Flags map also has Flash Pass icons next to each attraction its enabled for, and it's not listed next to the Giant either.

^ this is highly disappointing. Maybe they will print new park maps when they open NTG, one can hope. I for one will not wait in a two hour line to ride. I know it may sound stuck up, and I'm not trying to start a FP debate, but my time is better spent not waiting in tremendously long lines. That being said, my personal max wait time for any ride is 45 minutes, 30 minutes max preferred.

I really don't like this mid-May rumor. Now I'm even more anxious for the announcement. I had been wondering if "late spring" was meant to be taken literally, or if it was just a vague way of saying "not early spring".

I also don't like the "no q-bots" rumor...if lines are long, I would definitely want to use Gold or Plat to save me!

^ this is highly disappointing. Maybe they will print new park maps when they open NTG, one can hope. I for one will not wait in a two hour line to ride. I know it may sound stuck up, and I'm not trying to start a FP debate, but my time is better spent not waiting in tremendously long lines. That being said, my personal max wait time for any ride is 45 minutes, 30 minutes max preferred.

Look, I hate waiting in lines for rides as anyone, but for a new big ride shouldn't long lines just be a fact of life? Looks like you'll be waiting a while to ride if you're not willing to wait in a line over 45 minutes. Oh well, one less person in line in front of me.

^ I hardly ever ride a new coaster the first few months to let the crowds die off, Prowler was the exception. Like I mentioned, I don't want to sound stuck up, but my time is valuable to me and waiting in line for hours on end to me is wasting that time. The FlashPass, where available, allows one to capitalize on the time they have. Does this ride promise to be kick ass with long lines, yes. Have I been wanting to ride it since I sent the first demo pics into screamscape? Yes. And even more so with each photo update I've placed on TPR. Will I ride it? Absolutely. I know when ERT will be, I'll just ride it then

Honestly, from the conversations I overheard at the park today, most of the general public doesn't understand that it's a completely different ride. People are still thinking it's going to be extremely rough, and that it's not much different. At least that's what most of the conversations I heard were about. Maybe that will change after the ride opens, but I really don't think there will be these 2 hour waits that people are predicting. Possibly on the weekends, but most definitely not during a hot summer week.

^ I hardly ever ride a new coaster the first few months to let the crowds die off, Prowler was the exception. Like I mentioned, I don't want to sound stuck up, but my time is valuable to me and waiting in line for hours on end to me is wasting that time. The FlashPass, where available, allows one to capitalize on the time they have. Does this ride promise to be kick A$$ with long lines, yes. Have I been wanting to ride it since I sent the first demo pics into screamscape? Yes. And even more so with each photo update I've placed on TPR. Will I ride it? Absolutely. I know when ERT will be, I'll just ride it then

So you're going to wait a few months instead of waiting an hour or two? Not trying to start anything but this makes no sense to me.

I can actually agree with waiting. I went to KD the year Shockwave opened. We waited upwards of 3 hours for that 1 ride, got a total of 5 or 6 different rides in that day total. If I am spending money, I want some action, not weaving through the cattle gates just to get 1 ride in. If I was going out of my way for that 1 ride, then yeah I guess it would have to happen, but if it was a park I visit frequently, then hell no, just wait till a slower day comes along.

I'm all for that! Maybe after it's been open a couple of years they can add it to Flash Pass, but those lines are going to be looooooooooong this year and the last thing I'd want to see is a bunch of folks doing a "legit cutting in line" to make it even longer.

Why would you be "all for that?" Why would you be "all for waiting in line", when you don't have to?

Disappointed to hear that Texas Giant may not be on Flash pass. I do hope that is not actually the case, and they simply just haven't added it to the system because the ride isn't open yet.

--Robb

Not everyone is willing to spend an additional $40 for the Flash Pass. I can understand how they're glad it's not going to be possible for other people to essentially "cut in front of them" to make the normal line wait even longer.