TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2020 TPR Coaster Poll Results!

25 minutes ago, JG-77 said:

Glad to see the list finished, though I think PNE's coaster being so far behind Phoenix is pretty silly.

doesn't the amount of riders voting for it factor in?

WAY more people have ridden Phoenix than Coaster (Phoenix is at the top of my Wooden Coaster list).

I've been to Vancouver four times.. . and have yet to ride Coaster, as PNE has been closed every freaking time I'm there.

so have to factor in the ridership when looking at the rankings.

I may be wrong but I thought this (like Mitch Hawker) was designed to try our best to eliminate the impact of # of riders. I thought that was the selling point, trying to find a way to get "true" rankings even if a coaster has 40 or 400 riders. 
Granted I am not a stats person so not sure how well it can be done, but surely they try to eliminate that bias?

The cutoff is there to ensure that there is at least some consensus to a coaster's ranking.

As a coaster gains more riders / rankings, its placement each year on the poll should become more and more stable, or "accurate". Likewise, the less riders / rankings a coaster has, the more volatile its rank is from year to year.

What affects a particular coaster's placement is how much it is preferred over other coasters on the same ballot, or how other coasters are preferred over it. Everything is totaled up across everyone's ballots, and the more people that end up saying, "I like coaster X more than Playland's Coaster", the lower it goes.

It is a bit complicated to explain, but the result is legitimate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Eryndor said:

Ah I see. I still feel like it's fairly random, but I suppose that's a matter of definition. thanks.

Maybe this helps... (from coaster101).  Their wooden coasters are built on stacks of wood.  Conversions are all steel.

track-comparison.png

• Like 4

12 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Lol just looked through this again.

People are really taking a good hit off of this Candymonium crackpipe...

Well, it was one of the few new coasters you could ride last year.

^ I'm mostly surprised it placed behind Nitro.  I also found it interesting how high Orion placed considering some of the lackluster reviews it got after it opened, but I really enjoyed it.

Also, why is the Valleyfair Mad Mouse ranked so low in the Steel Bottom 10?  I actually thought that was one of the better wild mice and I'm stunned it's ranked around some notoriously rough steel coasters.

4 hours ago, Eryndor said:

Ah I see. I still feel like it's fairly random, but I suppose that's a matter of definition. thanks.

It's okay, that's probably been the question that's been asked the most.

All traditional wooden coasters have steel running rails - Rocky Mountain Construction basically just says, instead of doing three separate little rails on top of the stack, we're just going to use a single thick steel rail that all the wheels can run on.

If Great Coasters were to ever build a coaster completely out of their Titan track system, we would classify it as a Steel coaster alongside the Rocky Mountain I-Box coasters.

13 hours ago, coasterbill said:

Lol just looked through this again.

People are really taking a good hit off of this Candymonium crackpipe...

I'm curious which parks would come out top if each park's coaster percentages that were eligible for the poll were put together to find the mean. Would it be a park with lots of coasters or would the bad coasters drag them down for a park with 1 or 2 good coasters come out top.

15 hours ago, SharkTums said:

Ha! That's a great point!

AJ, can you look at the list of the parks and see which parks have the greatest spread  between best and worst coaster?

I second this, I'm also curious which parks have the biggest deviations.

Deviations in rankings within the Top 25 Coasters' Parks

This is a ranking of the parks with coasters in the Top 25, organized by deviation. The deviation is how much the difference is between a park's best coaster and its worst, according to the overall rankings. Keep in mind that a park's "worst" coaster might still be pretty good! Kolmarden is excluded because it only has one rankable coaster on the poll.

1. Walibi Holland - Untamed vs Condor - 97.,55%
  2. Everland - T Express vs Rolling X-Train - 92.81%
  3. Kentucky Kingdom - Storm Chaser vs T3 - 91.50%
  4. Six Flags Mexico - Medusa Steel Coaster vs Batman The Ride - 91.57%
  5. Hersheypark - Skyrush vs Sidewinder - 88.45%
  6. Six Flags New England - Wicked Cyclone vs Flashback - 88.44%
  7. Lake Compounce - Boulder Dash vs Zoomerang - 85.28%
  8. Carowinds - Fury 325 vs Carolina Goldrusher - 84.27%
  9. Cedar Point - Steel Vengeance vs Cedar Creek Mine Ride - 82.38%
  10. Kings Dominion - Twisted Timbers vs Anaconda - 80.98%
  11. Phantasisland - Taron vs Temple of the Night Hawk - 76.67%
  12. Six Flags Magic Mountain - Twisted Colossus vs Gold Rusher - 72.92%
  13. Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort - Phoenix vs Black Diamond - 72.17%
  14. Six Flags Great Adventure - El Toro vs Runaway Mine Train - 78.02%
  15. Dollywood - Lightning Rod vs Blazing Fury - 68.26%
  16. Silver Dollar City - Outlaw Run vs Fire In The Hole - 62.51%
  17. Warner Bros. Movie World - DC Rivals Hypercoaster vs Green Lantern Coaster - 50.9%
  18. Holiday Park - Expedition GeForce vs Sky Scream - 31.67%
  19. Universal Studios Japan - Flying Dinosaur vs Space Fantasy - 24.03%
  20. Liseberg - Helix vs Lisebergbanan - 20.57%
  • Like 1

Looking at some of these, it’s interesting to me how many people prefer painful coasters to boring ones. I’d rather be bored than in pain (and wow people just hate mine trains).

Examples: Corkscrew at Cedar Point performing better than Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Gold Rusher being voted as Magic Mountain’s worst coaster, Gold Rusher being voted as Carowind’s worst coaster and Great Adventure’s mine train polling behind Green Lantern.

59 minutes ago, coasterbill said:

Looking at some of these, it’s interesting to me how many people prefer painful coasters to boring ones. I’d rather be bored than in pain (and wow people just hate mine trains).

Examples: Corkscrew at Cedar Point performing better than Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Gold Rusher being voted as Magic Mountain’s worst coaster, Gold Rusher being voted as Carowind’s worst coaster and Great Adventure’s mine train polling behind Green Lantern.

There are limits to my masochism, but honestly yeah... (within limits) a painful ride is at least something...boring is boring.  This tends to be more for woodens, mine trains....I do hate when steel ones thrash you about. Like agreed Runaway Mine Train > Green Lantern and corkscrew is the worst at CP. But yeah idk I'll take some pain over boring. I never really thought about this but yeah, you've psychoanalyzed my coastering XD 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coasterbill said:

I agree I prefer boring to rough.  That's why I don't think CGA's Grizzly is nearly as bad as people say.  That ride is rather smooth.  It just does nothing.

Some of the mine trains are pretty rough though. Carolina Goldrusher is among the worst.

• Like 1

I agree with those comments. It's not bad.....it's just boring. If it was rough and boring it'd be bad, and lord can I think of a few of those, but it was just meh. After riding Grizzly I was deff surprised all the hubbub was about that...there's much worse. 

I am surprised by Lost Gravity. Always had the vibe that was a top tier, didn't expect 42. Same thing with Karnan at 31. I mean those are obviously good in the big picture just I expected higher or at the least not that they'd be below Orion. 

Guess that's what happens as you get near the top. Can beat 92, 93% of coasters and still be "only" in the 30s 40s I know I had the greatest pain sorting mine out and ofc I've not done many of these in the top 50. Goes to show how many more I really need to ride 😂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I'd also rather be bored but it becomes really hard to rank the boring ones. I have a good idea whats going at the bottom and top, but I can't remember a thing about most of the boring ones so before they all get lumped together under 1 or 2 numbers in the middle of the poll after say my top 20/bottom 20. You were boring but I sort of remember you: all 25's. I definitely rode you at some point...: all 30's.

Since this year I had nothing new to add, I did try and sort them into a better list going from best to worse.

10 hours ago, A.J. said:

Deviations in rankings within the Top 25 Coasters' Parks

1. Walibi Holland - Untamed vs Condor - 97.,55%
  2. Everland - T Express vs Rolling X-Train - 92.81%

I was wrong, it wasn't Everland. At least with Walibi Holland you have other choices. Everland is cake or death.

I have El Toro as my #1 and SkyRush as my #2, so count me happy with this year’s results!

Some lists I’d love to see:

-Ranking of Mine Train Coasters

-Ranking of B&M mega coasters (or maybe all “mega” coasters?)

-Ranking of B&M inverts

-Ranking of GCI’s

-Ranking of all remaining Arrows

-Parks with the best average coaster ranking

-Top 10 coasters by continent

-Ranking of all Disney & Universal coasters

-Top 10 coasters in each major chain

-Top 10 coasters built in each decade