TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Upper Clements Park quietly passes into the night

This one caught me off guard. I'd been planning to visit this place for years to ride their out of the way wooden coaster (probably the least ridden non-kiddie woodie in the US amongst the enthusiast community) I was finally going to do the trip this year and also visit Oak Island. Oh well, c'est la vie.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/upper-clements-park-sold-boarding-school-gordonstoun-scotland-1.5500371

Annapolis County council buys Upper Clements Park to attract boarding school

Municipal officials believe proposed $62M school will result in significant spending, employment in community

Pam Berman · CBC News · Posted: Mar 17, 2020 3:01 PM AT

Upper Clements Park was built in 1989 for $23 million by the Nova Scotia government. It received other injections of public money over the years.

The Municipality of the County of Annapolis, N.S., has bought a local amusement park for $600,000 so it can be redeveloped as a private school.

Council held a special meeting on Tuesday to approve the purchase of Upper Clements Park, which is located five kilometres west of Annapolis Royal.

"It is going to be a game changer for Annapolis County," Warden Timothy Habinski said in a video posted online by council. "It was a bit of a longer road than we anticipated initially, but we are delighted that we are finally there."

Municipal officials believe the proposed $62 million boarding school will result in significant spending and employment in the community. The school is expected to attract students from Asia, Europe and North America.

Habinski said the 10-hectare Upper Clements site, with its view of the Annapolis Basin, will be a "prestigious" location for Gordonstoun, a private boarding school in Scotland that wants to open a location in North America.

Alex Morrison, the councillor who represents the area where the school will be located, called it an exciting initiative.

"It's one that will benefit local individuals and the province as a whole," he said during a special council meeting that was held outside of the municipal building because of COVID-19.

The new Gordonstoun franchise is expected to open in the fall of 2021. E.A. Farren, Limited, based in Saint John, is the project manager for the school development.

Habinski pointed out that despite the best efforts of the Upper Clements Park Society, the theme park was struggling financially and on the verge of bankruptcy.

"The park's board has been diligent in their efforts to keep the park open and safe," he said. "The society must be commended for its service to our community."

The province of Nova Scotia spent $23 million to build Upper Clements Park in 1989. The park was operated privately between 1994 and 1997 and then a non-profit society took over. The seasonal facility has employed about 175 people.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always intrigued by Tree Topper since it had buzz bars, but for the same drive or less drive I could go to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Canada's Wonderland, or any of the Pennsylvania parks. It seemed too out-of-the-way, especially in the event the ride was closed since there really wasn't much else there or around it.

Never even heard of this place until now. I'm sure it sucks for local fans, but I agree, this is far too removed and small for it to have ever been on my radar. Not surprised at all to hear about its financial struggles.

Wow, a near-full-sized modern custom wooden coaster in North America that I’ve never heard of? Maybe I’m not as nerdy as I thought.

Looks like a fun little scenic ride. Too bad. At least the community seems SUPER thrilled about this new boarding school!

I remember when Bill Cobb was designing this ride. There was an interview with him in one of the newsletters. His designs were very detailed; pauses and pacing were intentional. This ride has been on my must get to list for years. Bummed... it was so darn far away and tough to get to.

A few years ago I tossed around the idea of going to this place, not because it looked that good but because we could go on a road trip to Nova Scotia and we've never been there. It still hasn't happened so clearly it's pretty low on the list. I can't act like I really care all that much.