TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I'm planning to be at the park this Saturday (28th) so I'll try and get some construction photos! Glad to see some vertical construction!

Anyone else think they might be going this Saturday who might want to plan a meet-up? Just message me!

Quick question... there's a ticket deal for $35 if you buy tickets online at least 3-days ahead (as long as I buy today, I'm good). Can I upgrade to a season pass in the park? Would the additional cost be the difference between the current price of season passes and the price of my ticket? I seem to remember before it was $20 to upgrade but if they keep with the strict difference, it will be more like $30.

Seeing some of the support work, the ride structure looks a bit wider than I initially thought...mainly due to the rendering. The rendering gives the illusion that the ride fits in a narrow strip but the reality is that it's got some pretty good bracing going on. By the looks of the structure, this is definitely looking like a portable-ish type of ride.

Random note: I had a dream that I was at SFDK and Pandemonium was still there but S:UF was being constructed as well. In order to access Pandemonium, we actually had to walk through and queue in the middle of the construction site. Pretty weird dream.

The park (or rather Six Flags) is going to go with what's more profitable, being an upcharge attraction. I'm sure those go-karts are always being used throughout the day. Atleast CGA's karts are always in use when I walk by them. In the end, every little bit of money raked in being souvenirs, food, admission, virtual queue systems, or pay-per-ride all adds up, thus the park being profitable.

Figure it this way: say that the karts are $7 per rider, multiply that by the amount of cars/riders, then multiply by the number of cycles done. I don't know the amount of cars the attraction has, neither do I know how many cycles they average but I can imagine a good chunk of money made in a day.

The go karts don't make that much money, plus I'd rather see a coaster on that spot.

Having been the supervisor of the go-karts at SFDK in the past. They make money. I would not count on ever seeing a coaster replace the go-karts they were moved to a new location to accommodate. Everyone has to understand that just because you don't care about a ride, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't.

I'm no expert on the layout of SFDK, but Superman is super compact and totally linear. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they could have found a spot for it that wouldn't require removing Pandemonium OR the go karts. I mean, look at the tiny spot they squeezed V2 into. I'm sure they must have been ready to let Pandemonium go this year anyway, or I'd imagine they would have come up with another spot for Superman.

While S:UF appeared to be very linear to me, the support work looks like it's going to be pretty wide. Since it is sitting on some metal framework below (like a portable) it would make sense to use a wider support structure. The base for the ride's pretty wide.

545881_10150841334317743_59636827742_11754394_164633459_n.jpg

It appears to be using the entire pad or most of it.

I have to say this because it is such a huge Pet Peeve for me. Base Frame does NOT mean the coaster is a portable. Portable coasters have easily movable components and are generally secured by bolts and cotter pins. Permanent coasters are held together with nuts and bolts, which secures them with the intention of being somewhere for a long time. Pandemonium was not a portable coaster either. Hell, even Zonga wasn't a portable coaster with all the modifications that were done to it.

I guess it was just wishful thinking, but part of me was hoping that part of the perceived delay (can't say that was really a delay at all) was for them to integrate a dual loading platform like mr. freeze to atleast have two trains on this ride. Like I said just wishful thinking... im still excited to see this ride go up and to see it in actions!

Pandemonium was not a portable coaster either.

Pandemonium sure seemed portable to me, it didn't have a foundation, it was just sitting on the pad. You can tell if a coaster is portable if it has a mess of steel at the base of the ride, like Laser (Dorney Park) & Olympia Looping.