TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Awesome report! I had a lot of fun during those years. I do miss the ski show and that other stuff. I actually do like V2 better now than before, and Superman is sooo much better than Zonga!

I agree on V2, but I love me my Zonga. Not sure I can agree anything is better. Though Superman is pretty amazing.

I feel like I was the only one in the family that enjoyed Zonga when we went back in 2003. Everyone else hated it (my neighbor down the street noted that he'd rather just get beat up by someone)...most had no understanding of the ride and it's history. Still trying to remember which part was rough as I seem to have a high tolerance for rough rides.

I feel like I was the only one in the family that enjoyed Zonga when we went back in 2003. Everyone else hated it (my neighbor down the street noted that he'd rather just get beat up by someone)...most had no understanding of the ride and it's history. Still trying to remember which part was rough as I seem to have a high tolerance for rough rides.

It was the red loop. There were issues with it's movement while the train went through it that made it rough. If you knew this and braced for it then the ride wasn't bad at all. Also sitting in a non-wheel seat helped a lot too. But it was really that one bad spot that made everyone say it was terrible all over. I must have rode that think 200+ times over the 2 years operating it. I never got off thinking "no more," I always was down for another ride.

If it weren't for Valejo's 150 feet max structure height restriction, Discovery Kingdom's V2 would look like Six Flags Great America's V2 with a red and maroon color scheme and they wouldn't have to modify it with an angled spiral!

When they angled V2 did they also repainted V2 to it current red and maroon color scheme or did have the blue and yellow color scheme?

Thanks for the great photos, Kevin! I never rode V2 in it's original form, but having ridden Wicked Twister at Cedar Point, I can say I like V2 better! And I definitely like the new paint job better, too!

I also really liked Zonga. I think I only got to ride Zonga something like five times total but I still liked it even though my last few rides were a bit painful.

It was the red loop. There were issues with it's movement while the train went through it that made it rough. If you knew this and braced for it then the ride wasn't bad at all. Also sitting in a non-wheel seat helped a lot too. But it was really that one bad spot that made everyone say it was terrible all over. I must have rode that think 200+ times over the 2 years operating it. I never got off thinking "no more," I always was down for another ride.

That's right, I remember you mentioning how the red loop would flex as the train passed through when we talked about Zonga a couple weeks ago at the park (and I remember actually watching it flex around as the train passed). I did only ride it 2 or 3 times so maybe that's why I don't remember really any stand-out rough spots. I may have chose not to sit in a wheel seat either as the 2nd rows of each car did look rather cramped. I really wish I was less of a GP back then...while I knew some stuff at the time I was still kind of a 'newb' and just learning about things.

The modified V2 had the blue/yellow scheme until the DK make-over. I do have a shirt that has the vertically twisted V2, in it's orange/maroon scheme...actually it looks cool with that color setup!

Riding the original V2, I always went for the back as I wanted the full 180-foot vertical drop. However, I paid the price of not getting anything out of the twist making me feel 'meh' about it. I wish I tried it in the very front. After riding the modified V2 I was very surprised especially with being able to pick a spot and stall in certain positions...favorite row now is the front due to the nice hangtime on the first and 3rd forward pass.

They modified V2 in 2002, It was repainted to the orange and purple in 2007 when they re-branded the park to Discovery Kingdom. I've been on the 3 styles of impluse coasters in the US and honestly prefer the angled spiral. The hang upside down is pretty fun. The downfall is the short back tower and no hold brake which I like a lot on the traditional impulses.

^ That's fine, Medusa looks Yellow to me but people always say it's green. But I'm also mildly colorblind. I know the V2 one for sure because I was there when they presented all the changes to the park to the staff and talked about the whole sunset thing. To this day I have only seen a sunset look like the V2 colors once. But by god they were right for that one day.

^ That's fine, Medusa looks Yellow to me but people always say it's green. But I'm also mildly colorblind. I know the V2 one for sure because I was there when they presented all the changes to the park to the staff and talked about the whole sunset thing. To this day I have only seen a sunset look like the V2 colors once. But by god they were right for that one day.

I wouldn't call it orange, Giants colors are orange and that's way different than the color of V2, to me it looks red-orange, somewhere in between. I never knew that about the sunset thing. Super cool.

I was just inspired to google beautiful sunsets and this one looks just like V2's color scheme:

Could be wrong but V2 looks like it is the same shade as Kong's red/orange track...Speaking of which, I always did like Kong's old paint job with the brown supports, orange track, and the lime trains over the new one it has today...though both paint jobs do work.

Before

After

Not crazy about Boomerang's color setup however...the yellow is kind of hideous.

^ I love Boom's color scheme now. It matches the train now and the white was so boring.

As for Kong, I like the current paint job but I still think the best was the original paint job. No, not the Orange and Brown. The colors it was as Hangman at Opryland and was assembled in at SFDK before it was painted.

Thanks Kevin for the pics, nice to stroll down memory lane. Unfortunately I never got to ride the original V2 as I missed the 2000 & 2001 seasons but returned in 2002. Personally I like how our V2 is unique as it's the only one of it's kind in the world with the 45degree angle...

Hey all!

Rolercstrluvr and I went to the park yesterday and we have some possibly very exciting news! But first, a small TR.

The park wasn’t too busy but not too dead either. We rode all main coasters except Roar, and except a brief breakdown of Superman, everything was running great!

And.... I helped Rolercstrluvr get into the dolphin show! Stay tuned for a video of this epic event!

Also, for lunch we found the hot-dog stand selling clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls. It was really yummy and a great value! I wish they sold it year-round!

And now... pics! (Courtesy of Rolercstrluvr)

225661262_V2front.thumb.jpg.4f0f8d6214c5b85331c0aee4c81c5ace.jpg

My 10th visit to SFDK this season!

Superman.thumb.jpg.9a9581a08305e617cc0587a88746b4b8.jpg

Possibly the best ejector air in NorCal? Yes please!

V2.thumb.jpg.5d440a34f0a6bdf9b529e7853e162db0.jpgBy the way, Rolercstrluvr and I wanted to compliment the ride op at V2 for her hilarious (and well-informed) comments! Her name was Kaley I believe. What got our attention at first was her jokes about Kong:

"You know why they call it Kong? Because when you ride it, your head goes Kon-Kon, Kon-Kon, Kong!"

"Welcome back riders! If you didn't like this coaster, go ride Kong, then you'll appreciate V2 more!"

She was really funny, well-informed about V2 (including the modifications), and even engaged the audience a little. I wish all ride ops were like this, and I'll definitely be looking out for her next year!

WP_000298.thumb.jpg.719c3541be52cf4a787729abb0117cb3.jpg

FISHIES!! HEHEHEHHEHEHEHEH!!!

WP_000299.thumb.jpg.abd79515dcc5c7e0bb9640b7e0b9a19e.jpg

OOH Haunted House?? Where???

WP_000300.thumb.jpg.f7b640094246c2e078c7542a847bede4.jpg

They had the cutest little penguins they were walking around!

WP_000301.thumb.jpg.e7ec82b2eab8410fb0abd3ce3dacd9b8.jpg

Both the bird and the trainer look bored.

WP_000303.thumb.jpg.38d350594cc7606854ee1adf29c9aba9.jpg

Baby penguins in a kiddie pool. <3

WP_000307.thumb.jpg.a015afbe6145b6ffcff515b256091560.jpg

While waiting for our doom, we noticed this beautiful last sight. So beautiful. *tear*

WP_000310.thumb.jpg.ccc55eeae087b5706b6ee4cd95de0315.jpg

We stole this dolphin from the dolphin show. He wanted to ride Medusa.

Okay, for the possibly exciting news! We were walking behind Shouka Stadium looking wistfully at it when we heard the sounds of drilling or sawing coming from the stadium. We walked around to the other side to see that the entire backdrop was gone and the water half-empty. There were several workers around covered in the same color of blue paint that the tank is painted. I caught up with one of them and asked him what they were doing in the stadium. He seemed like he didn't want to respond, but he said, "Something like restoration work."

Hmmmmm.... Here are the pics we took

WP_000304.thumb.jpg.1865819eb57d03a09cbb0e97b7632a9c.jpgWP_000305.thumb.jpg.089f301980d01cac2401e4b6b4b9d1e1.jpgWP_000306.thumb.jpg.140bcbad291abb902badf7c88e65968b.jpg

EDIT: Rereading what was posted on Screamscape a few months ago, notice the similar word choice.

During a conference call with SF CEO Jim Reid Anderson, ThemeParkOverload asked about the future of [Pacific Stadium] and was told that they have another secret project in the works for it that will also open in 2013 after some renovations are performed.

Here

I find it funny that the Shouka Stadium sign is still up at the bottom when they were so quick to remove the other stuff.

Thanks for the photos! Looking forward to the Dolphin Show video. Muahahahahaha

I think I will be going by the park tomorrow for some pictures of the last day of the season. Also, the park has updated their operating calendar for 2013. Opening day is March 16 and follows a pretty similar to schedule to the past few years.