TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Apple Apple Apple

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have a Mac that supports Bluetooth LE, 10.10 is pretty much just a visual / security update. It certainly looks great and runs in pretty much the same manner as 10.9 on my old Macbook Pro which is good.

The new iWork apps though - dreadful. Any version of Office past 2007 can open DOCX, PPTX, etc but Pages 2013 can't open up a simple document made in Pages 2014, even though they share the same extension? Inexcusable. It makes it difficult to work on the Macs in the labs and studios because they won't get updated until most likely next calendar year.

Adobe InDesign is also guilty of this but that's Adobe's fault, not Apple's.

What are people's thoughts on the new iPads? Any takers? I think it's impressive when you look back on the original iPad how far they have come, I still don't have a tablet but I'm sure I'll be giving in eventually!

Have to say I was when I saw they cut the pencil with laser to show how thin the iPad Air 2 is! But I'm not really interested in renewing iPad. My iPad Mini is enough.

The iPad Air 2 seems interesting. There's Touch ID (cool), an 8 megapixel camera (really?), a new A8X processor (cool, I guess), and two gigs of ram (that's nice). However, thank's to Apple's philosophy that thinner = better, there's no mute switch (really?) and it's incompatible with existing cases.

The iPad Mini 3, however, is just not very good. It's the same as last year's iPad Mini but with Touch ID. There's no new camera and the processor is the same.

Of course, I have yet to see these iPads in person, but just from the pictures, I'm sort of "meh". I'm wondering why Apple is continuing to sell the non-Retina iPad Mini. It's just outdated.

I guess they just want to hit every price point of the market.

Bingo! Can't completely give the low-end market to Android. Need to have a low priced option into their eco-system.

The Apple Pay system is pretty cool! I used it last week when my dad and I were at a McDonald's restaurant. After politely taking my dad's shiny, new iPhone 6, I took my order. At first, Touch ID, wouldn't read my fingerprint, but once it did, the order was completed! The adoption rate is also great. I was at another McDonald's in a more questionable part of town, and I saw some teenagers use Apple Pay (I think) to order a large drink.

However, everybody is now saying that Apple "invented" this technology, which it didn't. However, NFC payments will hopefully be more mainstream (that is, if CurrentC is a total flop (which I'm sure it will be)).

Is anyone else considering getting one of the Watches next year? Even though I've never been a fan of wearing a watch, I've had a lustful eye on them lately.

I might look into it. My daughter gave me a watch that hooks into my phone via blue tooth. What is cool is that I can see my text messages on it. When I'm in a meeting it looks like I'm checking the time and I'm not being rude taking out my phone.

My iPhone 6 gets here today!

What is cool is that I can see my text messages on it. When I'm in a meeting it looks like I'm checking the time and I'm not being rude taking out my phone.

So instead of being rude by taking out a phone, you can be rude by checking the time wondering when the damn meeting will be over. ha! Just kidding. That watch does sound cool.

BTW, Gisco -- I'm sharing your excitement over getting a new phone. My new phone just arrived 2 days ago, around the same time yours did. I chose the HTC One M8 (the Harman/Kardon edition). Different manufacturer, but the excitement is the same. I hope you're enjoying your iPhone 6!

• 5 weeks later...