TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flamingo Land Discussion Thread

Another big year for new attractions at Flamingoland. Hot on the heels of Mumbo Jumbo the park is adding yet another new coaster. This time a Zamperla Air Force family coaster. It's being built on the site of the marquee.

Zamperla Air Force

They're also opening a new penguin pool that they started building last year.

If that's not enough they'll be a new educational interactive animal exhibit next to the Coach House Inn featuring ring tailed lemurs, porcupines, meerkats and of course flamingoes.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love this little coaster and was always surprised that more weren't sold.

Although at the same time I don't know how they could go with Zamperla again after the Runaway Mine Train Coaster...Pretty sure it killed most of the UK Trip Participants!

• 1 year later...

From Screamscape:

A quick update to the Corkscrew removal story. The actual rumor about the ride removal came out back in late 2011, but it has now been confirmed that the Corkscrew is being dismantled right now, and not at the end of 2012. You can find pictures of Corkscrew’s pieces already on the ground posted to RideGuideGroup.

I'm not really that sad or surprised to see it go. When I last went, the park was busy but the Corkscrew was just a walk on.

Yeah I was the one who took those pictures and uploaded them, I'll try and get down there again today to see what's happened since Monday! I wouldn't be surprised if it was all gone, it's going to be weird going back there this season to find a big empty gap because I've become accustomed to see it looming over the car park ever since I started going there!

^Agreed. The Vekoma Corkscrew is one type of ride that deserves to just disappear.

Oh, of course; the thing was terrible and it's removal is long, long overdue. But still.. I don't like change is what I'm trying to say!

Can't wait to see what goes there!

EDIT: Here is my post off the Ride Guide forum with links to both sets of photos that I took.

1st set of photos, taken Sunday 15th January

2nd set of photos, taken Monday 16th January

Is it just me or does it look like Flamingoland want to sell the coaster?? When the Corkscrew at AT was taken down, all but the corkscrew elements were torn down - here they all appear to have been unbolted and taken down in sections so it could be sold. In a way, I kinda hope it will be sold and rebuilt or at least stored somewhere for a few years as there aren't that many of them left now and as headache-inducing as they are, they're a pretty important part of coaster history and so I think a few examples should be preserved.

• 3 months later...

Sounds like something new for Flamingo Land in 2012. Sounds like a Star Flyer / Windseeker type ride.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/ryedale/9664051.New_ride_planned_for_theme_park/r/?ref=rss

New ride planned for Flamingo Land theme park

9:07am Monday 23rd April 2012 in Ryedale news

THE owners of a Ryedale theme park have applied for permission to bring in a new ride for thrill-seekers.

Flamingo Land Ltd is looking to install a 46-metre vertical swing at the Kirby Misperton attraction, which attracts about 1.8 million visitors a year, and plans have been handed to Ryedale District Council.

If approved, the swing would stretch out as far as 26 metres, and agents acting for the company say its introduction would play “an important part” in the park’s plans for the future and ensure it remains “a leading attraction”.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah...I'm not sure what the motivation would be for that. The world does not need more of those things.

Maybe they just wanted a cheap option for a gimmicky coaster? I will admit the forces are pretty interesting in parts. But overall, these are terrifying and painful in a not-good way. And I know most people hate them more than I do!

I guess all we can hope for is that Zamperla has redesigned the Volare since the last one was built.

As for the Star Flyer, there was a Zamperla model at the last Wisconsin State Fair, and it was pretty terrifying. I haven't ridden any of the Funtime ones, so I can't compare them, but Zamperla's were quite thrilling. The shaking chairs(due to how taut the cables holding the chair were) and tower made it seem like the thing was going to collapse.

Although this is just a rumour, it seems very likely this is true. If you look at the old Corkscrew spot on Google Maps, then compare it to an existing Volare, they are almost exactly the same size. I was really hoping for a Wooden Twister/Out & Back roller coaster, but awell