TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SUPERMAN TRAINS ARRIVE (EXCLUSIVE PHOTO)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, i think that OTSR are stupid. I mean on most people the restraint is manly pressing on you waist any way. Like if you compare a vertical loop that has positive G's, to a huge airtime hill with T-Bars it just doesnt seem right. I mean you have a ride like Balder with T-Bars and then you have a looping coaster with no airtime and it has OTSR.

Now I do understand how Flyers, Inverts, and Stand-Ups need OTSR, unless they invent a train that is suspended with T-Bars. Like I think Kumba with a B&M Calm Shell would be great. But now with over weight people riding, OTSR are the only way to go.

WTF?!?! Why does this one need OTSRs? The ride is supposed to give airtime, unlike KK or Rita. Intamin built a ride with an inversion this year that has t-bars!!!

I believe the reason that Intamin got rid of the T-Bars is because of the accident we had on Superman: Ride of Steel where the guy flew out from the restraint. So I'm taking a stab that Intamin didn't want another accident where someone died on their rides because the restraints wasn't properly secured. Here with the OTSR, the rider is completely locked in and it's pretty simple to tell if they can ride or not if the seatbelt doesn't lock.

Granted I haven't ridden a ride with those OTSR's yet, but from what I hear they aren't too constrictive.

No, if you're an average height/weight person they aren't too constrictive. I myself have no problem sitting in a Intamin train with OTSR and I still experience airtime because I got a gap between my shoulders and the top of the restraints. So I'm pretty much thrown around in a secured area. A good example of that is on Storm Runner when you go through that snake looping dive thingy.

I'm still shocked they haven't put these on Xcelerator and TTD.

I think the reason why they haven't put them on Xcelerator and TTD is because it will probably be hard to retro-fit OTSR onto the trains. And they probably also don't want to spend the money in buying new trains with OTSR's

Ive gotten some pretty nice ejector air on TTD back seat depending on launch speed and wind conditions.

Ive also heard the same for Xcel - just more frequently. It shouldnt matter if its one hill or 4.

I think this is just a safety move on Intamins part and it sucks. I thought they did hamper my experience on KK (apart from the trains vibrating worse than any steel coaster Ive been on) so hopefully that doesnt happen here.

However, on Storm Runner, they are NEEDED for the very extreme airtime and forces - not just for the inversions.

Intamins OTSRs arent constrictive, but I had a painful experience riding storm runner with my arms up. There is just no padding on the restraints, and everytime we took an inversion I thought my arms were going to be severed. Ok, maybe not that bad, but I had some very bad bruises. Needless to say I will be riding arms down on any Intamin with OSTRs.

Yes, it is sad that we won't see the Intamin Lap Bars again, but it is gonna be like that. so be sure to treasure your Intamin Lap Bar Coaster!

GE999 is a big exception. Not just the Lap Bars. The launch is unique. The train is unique and quite a few other things.

It makes no sense, I know...

The Intamin OTSR's are not well designed; probably a poorly thought out reaction to the SROS accident The thin profile with hard padding karate chop your head and neck. Storm Runner at Hershey uses these which don't kill the air time but really beat you up in the inversions unless you can manage to ride with your upper body pushed forward in the restraint; this way only your arms get beat, not your head. For most people the OTSR is so far away from your body that it is essentially useless. It would be nice to see a soft restraint, similar to those used on flyers or the Arrow butterfly retraints if the parks really feel these things are necessary. You would think Intamin would have learned from all the Arrow/Vekoma head banging we've all endured over the years. Even Premier figured out how to get rid of them in their launched coasters with no accidents since.

From talking with park Employees at both Hershey and GADV. Intamin does not consider what we would call OTSR'S. They state it’s a redesign of their lap bar system. If you think about it we are being held in at the waist and not at the shoulder. The straps that are over us do not even make contact with are body unless you are a larger guest. I also have realized from riding TTD there is a lot more air time on both Storm Runner and even Kingda Ka. This is most likely because we are not completely stapled as the crews at Cedar Point have done. The only ride that I feel comes close to the air time on both Storm runner and Kingda Ka would be Xcelerator. The signs also state to hold onto the black grab bars which are on the lap bar portion. This is different since on a typical OTSR we hold onto the portion over our shoulder. I do not understand why everyone gets all edgy. As long as the ride still has air time I am happy and there is no way these new restraints restrict the air time. I am confident Intamin knows what they are doing to keep their rides safe with the same old shock factor.

I don't mind the restraints at all.

The only difference between them and the T-bars are that the overhead restraints are even more idiot-proof than the T-bars are, which is why they've been put on Hydro and all the new Intamin Accelerator Coasters after the problems surrounding the T-Bar restraints.

Good point about the shoulder straps really being a secondary restraint; it's the lap bar and the shape of the seat that are primarily responsible for holding you in. The problem many have with the additional restraint is the head banging they create, especially smaller riders. When you see half the people getting off Storm Runner holding they're heads due to a restraint that does not fit they're body size properly, more engineering work needs to be done. I'm sure Intamin probably realizes this restraint system is a compromise to create additional rider safety.

SROS does not have the this style restraint systems correct but this new design does allow more guests to properly fit safely into the seat. This allows more people to be able to enjoy these attractions. I guess you can compare it to having a larger seat for the whole train verses the single seat some of the B&M rides have.