TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The "Pleasant/Unpleasant Surprise" Thread

Unpleasant: Vekoma Boomerang. All my GP friends were saying "oh yeah the Boomerang is awwweeeesome" and so I finally got on it. Worst restraints I've ever worn (I'm skinny) and the entire first lift hill is the single most uncomfortable element on any coaster I've been on (a whopping 12).

Edited by LiftThrill

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pleasant surprises:

1. Phantom's Revenge - my first Morgan hyper, and due to the original's bad rep I was a bit nervous about roughness.

2. Intimidator @Carowinds - smoother than I expected and had some nice airtime, so I rode it twice despite the 1hr wait time.

3. Hurricane Heights @KDSoakCity - 3..2...1..goodbye

4. Exterminator @Kennywood - the best family coaster and best wild mouse/spinning coaster I've been on, smooth, intense, and exciting, not to mention themed well.

5. Silver Bullet @KBF - was expecting a typical, rough B&M invert (shoutout to Alpengeist and Afterburn) but was definitely surprised when it was anything but.

6. Manta @SeaWorld SD - looks like a kiddie launch coaster, but IMO more intense and much smoother than #1 on my unpleasant surprises list (exception: first drop on latter).

7. Thunder Road @Carowinds - As a frequent Rebel Yell rider, I braced myself for the rough parts as the coaster transitioned from straightaway to airtime hill, but they never happened. #savethunderroad

UNpleasant surprises:

1. Fury 325 - B&M seemingly couldn't decide whether to focus on airtime or intense twists and turns, and ended up with a milder one-trick pony (that has some rough portions, IMO). Stick to airtime, B&M - it's what you do best...

2. Verbolten - For a coaster with some epic theming and that friggin' awesome drop-track, I was expecting something smooth. I guess that's the price you pay for going with Zierer instead of Mack or Intamin. A Cheetah Hunt-ish Verbolten? Now we're talkin'!

3. Giant Dipper @Belmont Park SD - other than the fact that it's an ACE landmark, it's utterly terrible (and the park itself is SUPER sketchy).

4. Alpengeist - some call it underrated, I call it glorified, rattly scrap metal.

5. Both Hurlers @KD & Carowinds, GhostRider @KBF, and basically everything else from CCI - KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

6. The last drop on Backlot Stunt Coaster - if you're OK with the severe whiplash, go right ahead and ride that thing.

7. Every season since 2013 @KD - each coaster-less announcement makes me cringe and despair.

Pleasant surprises:

1. Phantom's Revenge - my first Morgan hyper, and due to the original's bad rep I was a bit nervous about roughness.

2. Intimidator @Carowinds - smoother than I expected and had some nice airtime, so I rode it twice despite the 1hr wait time.

4. Exterminator @Kennywood - the best family coaster and best wild mouse/spinning coaster I've been on, smooth, intense, and exciting, not to mention themed well.

5. Silver Bullet @KBF - was expecting a typical, rough B&M invert (shoutout to Alpengeist and Afterburn) but was definitely surprised when it was anything but.

6. Manta @SeaWorld SD - looks like a kiddie launch coaster, but IMO more intense and much smoother than #1 on my unpleasant surprises list (exception: first drop on latter).

7. Thunder Road @Carowinds - As a frequent Rebel Yell rider, I braced myself for the rough parts as the coaster transitioned from straightaway to airtime hill, but they never happened. #savethunderroad

UNpleasant surprises:

1. Fury 325 - B&M seemingly couldn't decide whether to focus on airtime or intense twists and turns, and ended up with a milder one-trick pony (that has some rough portions, IMO). Stick to airtime, B&M - it's what you do best...

2. Verbolten - For a coaster with some epic theming and that friggin' awesome drop-track, I was expecting something smooth. I guess that's the price you pay for going with Zierer instead of Mack or Intamin. A Cheetah Hunt-ish Verbolten? Now we're talkin'!

3. Giant Dipper @Belmont Park SD - other than the fact that it's an ACE landmark, it's utterly terrible (and the park itself is SUPER sketchy).

4. Alpengeist - some call it underrated, I call it glorified, rattly scrap metal.

5. Both Hurlers @KD & Carowinds, GhostRider @KBF, and basically everything else from CCI - KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!

6. The last drop on Backlot Stunt Coaster - if you're OK with the severe whiplash, go right ahead and ride that thing.

7. Every season since 2013 @KD - each coaster-less announcement makes me cringe and despair.

There is so much wrong with this I don't even know where to start...

^ & ^^Yes, Vekoma Intvertigo coasters can be fun--when they work.

Haha true. With all the downtime stinger has had since I went there in 2013 I've understood how lucky I was.

I think people tend to forget that the Hurlers were not made by CCI, and that CCI actually has some pretty good rides (Timber Terror, Tremors, NM Rattler, Rampage, etc.)...

Pleasant suprise; maverick at cedar point was a HUGE surprise. I was only 13 the first time i rode it so of course my ignorant little kid self thought it was going to be a tame, short little ride but i was WAY off.

Another pleasant surprise would be Viper at SFGAm. Sit back seat on that ride and you will NOT be disappointed.

I feel like alot of people will disagree with this one but my last pleasant surprise would have to be Gatekeeper. Don't get me wrong I love intensity but personally I prefer a smooth graceful ride with more hang-time which GK perfectly supplied.

An unpleasant surprise would have to be Mean Streak. Im pretty durable when it comes to rough coasters but man did this ride hurt, not only that but it was very boring and drawn out. It also didn't help that I was actually looking forward to riding it.

...."Typical, rough B&M invert"

I...do we live in parallel universes?

Anyway:

Pleasantly surprised.

El Toro. "It looks cool but it is just a wooden coaster" and keep in mind at that time, + being HS seniors with little travel experience we never knew ejector airtime existed. Needless to say what we thought would be a fun ride left us speechless the first time.

Skyrush. Same thing, it looked fun but "It's just some hills and turns, I know it doesn't need to be super huge and fast but just doesn't seem like much to it" and really I was hoping it wouldn't be a letdown. Wow, not sure I was ever more mistaken...

OK, I wouldn't call these unpleasant surprises especially since both are in my top 10 but they were let downs, maybe I had them overhyped in my mind.

Boulder Dash. I'll give it botd of a bad day, but the air was a lot of pops, one or two moments out of seat, but I always heard how that thing had you "bouncing off the seat moment you land back down" and constant air and at least the ride I had was most certainly not that.

Bizarro. It's always been a top 2 steel coaster, and the snarky comments about how it's like MForce but with forces... I was expecting an ejector airtime machine and forceful ride, it was super fun and I liked it...but I found lots of strong floater airtime throughout. Is it possible the sucky ass restraints they use now? Or having ridden Skyrush and I305 before maybe just have higher standards of airtime and forcefulness?

Edited by JJLehto

I think people tend to forget that the Hurlers were not made by CCI, and that CCI actually has some pretty good rides (Timber Terror, Tremors, NM Rattler, Rampage, etc.)...

Yes, CCI has made some brilliant rides, I wonder if this poster is having some fun or just is whacky. I mean besides those: Boulder Dash! And while I haven't ridden I hear nothing but praise about Cornball Express, TDZ, Shivering Timbers back in the day, Ghostrider way back in the day, The Raven of course. People seem to like the Boss if they can tolerate roughness. Even the Great White was a fun rife. Honestly, I loved CCI and they did birth GCI and Gravity Group for us

...."Typical, rough B&M invert"

I...do we live in parallel universes?

Yes...... I see.....

I've always found inverts to be the smoothest type of coaster B&M makes as I've never ridden one which had the slightest rattle to it.

Pleasant surprises:

UNpleasant surprises:

You forget that this is personal preference, not universal truth - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion(s).

Pleasant surprise:

Samurai at Thorpe park. I remember when this ride was based in Chessington and all the hype which had built up over it. I was about 10 at the time. My friends mum apparently had felt so sick after riding it and other people said it was so intense people where throwing up all the time. I was petrified! When I did eventually ride it, after it had moved to Thorpe (and apparently the program tamed a bit), I loved it! I laughed the whole way round it was fantastic!

Space mountain Magic Kingdom - Now I had always looked down on Magic Kingdom's space mountain because it wasn't inverted like the DLP Space Mountain, but actually its a really really fun ride! When we visited in 2013 I rode it about 5 times in a row because I just thought it was so much fun.

unpleasant surprise:

Space Mountain Disneyland Paris - a bit of background. I visited DLP 4 times before I rode space mountain, 1st time - it was being build, 2nd time it was built but i was too little to ride (my mum did I remember her saying it was amazing), 3rd time it was broken down all weekend, 4th time - finally I was tall enough to ride but... the ride was being converted to mission 2. So finally on my 5th visit to DLP (15 years after my 1st chance to ride) I got to go on it and it hurt! Oh that ride is so painful and a bit of a let down.

Fairly Odd Coaster at Nickelodeon Universe was a pleasant surprise for me. I really wasn't expecting much, but it had some decent forces and a few airtime pops. Not an amazing ride by any means, but much better than I thought it would be.

Pleasant surprises:

UNpleasant surprises:

You forget that this is personal preference, not universal truth - you are perfectly entitled to your opinion(s).

Yes, let's keep it civil, everyone. I agree with some of what he said here (especially regarding Phantom's Revenge and Exterminator). But as for Verbolten being rough, well . . . I've never found that to be the case. I also think Carowinds' Intimidator is just plain dull.

Edited by cfc

...as for Verbolten being rough, well . . . I've never found that to be the case.

I personally believe that my body type greatly influences how rough I perceive a ride to be, since I am 5'11", 135 pounds - so I have a lot of wiggle room within restraints to be rattled around. For instance, I found Fury 325 to be slightly rough, when many others didn't.

...as for Verbolten being rough, well . . . I've never found that to be the case.

I personally believe that my body type greatly influences how rough I perceive a ride to be, since I am 5'11", 135 pounds - so I have a lot of wiggle room within restraints to be rattled around. For instance, I found Fury 325 to be slightly rough, when many others didn't.

Yes, that could be. For example, I love Skyrush, but I do find the restraints uncomfortable. But I like Verbolten's trains and find them very comfortable.

Edited by cfc

• 2 weeks later...

Backlot Stunt Coaster at Kings Island was a pleasant surprise for me. It packed a decent punch for a ride that's only 45 feet tall. The launch felt more intense than Flight of Fear's, and I actually had a partial grey-out in the opening helix. Also had some decent laterals.

Wicked Twister at Cedar Point was an unpleasant surprise. I'm usually a fan of impulse coasters, but this one seemed rougher and less intense than the other two I've ridden (Steel Venom and Vertical Velocity).

Since I just got a bunch of credits on a few recent road trips...

Pleasant surprises:

Magnum - Loved it. Don't understand the hate or complaints about pain.

Blue Streak - Just surprised more people don't rate it higher. I haven't ridden a ton of woodies but this is a fave.

Gemini - Again, just surprised people aren't bigger fans. I thought this would be average-to-crappy but it turned out to be a fave.

Gatekeeper- Always seems to be 'average' or 'boring' according to so many, and while its the only B&M wingrider Ive done, I loved it.

Sky Rocket - Everyone seems so underwhelmed by it I had low expectations and wasn't necessarily blown away but it was a highlight of the park (even tho most of their coasters are).

Stinger - Made me realize that maybe not all Vekomas are bad. Nothing amazing, but much smoother and enjoyable that I anticipated.

Unpleasant surprises:

Millennium - It's a GREAT ride (night rides were the best) but it just didn't live up to years of hearing about how amazing it is, therefore I walked away just a little disappointed.

Wicked Twister - If you follow my posts you know I love Possessed @ Dorney, so I was really stoked to try WT and somehow it left me underwhelmed. I'm convinced its just that I like the back spike/holding break.

Pleasant Surprise:

Mean Streak- Most reviews i've heard have said that Mean Streak is a head banging monster of a ride. While it definitely wasn't perfect, it was better than anticipated

Banshee: Going into this ride I thought of Banshee as just another roller coaster. Boy was I wrong! The drop was actually very nice without the pre-drop section and actually received a pop of air. The only negative I could come up would be how the restraints would continuously become tighter and tighter throughout the ride (although this is the case with the new B&M restraints and the flyers).

Unpleasant Surprise:

Bizarro (SFNE)- while this ride definitely isn't bad (it is in my top ten) the ride for sure didn't live up to the hype it has gotten over the years. The first few hills after the first drop don't provide ANY airtime and the few airtime moments that it had were painful. Also, I noticed that the ride lagged throughout the ending of the ride. It seemed to be going REALLY slow and that it was barely making it through the hills. One last negative was that it was extremely squeaky, especially in the tunnel. All in all, it is not the best coaster in the park (WC holds that title), never mind one of the best in the world.

Pleasant surprise: Judge Roy Scream at SFOT. I expected a moderately rough and boring coaster (it's my first woodie) and it turned out to be a very fun and quite smooth ride with some nice pops of airtime (and even some light pseudo-ejector airtime on the first two hills).

The Coasting for Kids brunch at Kings Dominion was a pleasant surprise. Instead of the usual fried chicken-hot dogs-burger meal at the picnic shelters, the park gave us a nice spread of scrambled eggs, bacon, chicken strips, asparagus, cake, and other goodies in a banquet room over the Starbucks.