TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is the most G-Force you have pulled?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Positive: Boomerangs pull 5.2 g, so it's a tie between the five boomerangs I've ridden

Negative: Probably El Toro's hill over Rolling Thunder

Lateral: Difficult to say, but I'd have to guess Legend

Linear: Xcelerator's launch

Edited by rcdude

I'm not good with knowing my G-forces stats but based on what others have said and the most-memorably extreme incidences for me this is what I'll say:

+ : Pretzel loop of Tatsu

- : That extreme ejector hill on El Toro

<> : So far no one has mentioned any fair rides but the Orbiter always blows me away with its forcefulness. Not sure if this would count as lateral or positive though.

Positive G's would probably be S:UF's pretzel loop at SFGAdv. That's easily the best part of the ride.

Negative G's is El Toro's Rolling Thunder hill. That thing is LEGENDARY.

Lateral G's would be the first turn on I305. I was extremely close to blacking out on my first ride...definitely was not prepared for how intense that was. (or is that positive G's? I dunno)

• 2 weeks later...

Positive = Intimidator 305 (Tatsu pretzel loop comes a close second), my girlfriend got a nosebleed!

Negative = Skyrush (like the ejector air on "that" El Toro hill but every time)

Lateral = Probably the right turn after the main drop on Thunderbolt at Kennywood (hence the strictly enforced smaller person sits on the right side rule )

• 4 weeks later...

I liked this thread and I want to post my experiences.

Positive vertical - I've been on Titan @ SFOT and Shockwave @ SFOT when I was younger, I believe Millenium Force's first drop made me briefly grey out (more like purple-out) a long time ago. As for a non-coaster, I don't know, maybe the Witches Wheel at Cedar Point (Enterprise). I've been on I305, but it was trimmed at the time.

Negative Vertical - MF and Maverick in the back seat, and Magnum in some seats (the backseat is intense, but I've heard row 3, car 1 is intense). As for on a non-coaster, probably an S&S ride - Power Tower at Cedar Point's intensity varies depending on which tower - one of the drops seems to be more intense than the other. The mid-sized Detonator @WoF and the rather tiny Space Shot at Huntsville's U.S. Space and Rocket Center pack a large punch - both are S&S launch towers. Also, the enlcosed Trabant/Wipeout-style ride at Worlds of Fun (Cyclone Sam) has insane airtime and wind effects to add to the experience.

Accelerational - Probably TTD for coasters. As for non-coasters, the Rotor-style ride at Worlds of Fun, Roundup-style rides at Worlds of Fun and Gravitron-style rides (one at a fair and another at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville) come to mind. And if you can get a Balloon Race or spinning cups ride moving, you can get good centrifugal force.

As for deceleration, I know that on the Cedar Point Wildcat (RIP) they told you to grab the lap bar before the sudden stop. at the unloading platform

Laterals - Beast and wild mice. On a non-coaster, some rapidly spinning rides will do, such as a Trabant/Wipeout (Notably Cyclone Sam at Worlds of Fun), a scrambler (especially the one that came to my local fair). Also, on most Arrow loopers, there is a lot of rapidly changing lateral force from the neck up!

Also, what is the maximum negative force on El Toro?

Positive- The launches on Kingda Ka and Dragster, S:UF's pretzel loop.

Lateral- All of Maverick's twists, Nitro's helix.

Negative- Maverick's drop and first hill, every hill on El Toro, every hill on Bizarro, the return trip on Magnum.

Positive: Opening day of I305 before trims and reprofiling, first turn

Negative: El Toro's hop over Rolling Thunder

Acceleration: Hypersonic XLC

Laterals: The twisties on I305 and Maverick, and also the helix at the end of Wild One at SFA

I'll try to name some that fewer people name, but the most outstanding ones will be common.

Positives would be SFOT Titan and Shockwave, as well as SFMM Goliath BEFORE hard trimming on the midcourse block (I feel so lucky!)

Negatives would be Magnum with no trims (dear lord it's INTENSE) and New Texas Giant isn't short on the ejector air either. Last car Cyclops is pretty sick too

Laterals have got to go to Ghostrider, and HW's Legend. Do Sizzlers and Music Express/Himalaya rides count too?

Positives - SFoT Titan on the helix, Intimidator 305, SFMM Goliath before the braking

Negatives - El Toro, New Texas Giant, Skyrush

Laterals - The Original Texas Cyclone with 4 seat cars and no dividers, any wild mouse - the laterals on those rides are brutal.

My E Ticket ride for most awesome positive +Gx was being shot off the deck of several aircraft carriers... Nothing like 0 to 160 in 2 seconds! Oh, and a ride in the back seat of an F16 was a hoot from all axis.

This man wins. End of discussion.

I had forgotten about rides like TTD, they do indeed pull a lot of g's even if not in the traditional sense that most coasters do.

Speaking of g-forces, does anyone know if there is any collection of data out there regarding g-force data (I guess a lot of that would have to be either estimated or provided by the parks or ride manufacturers for which data is available) on coasters and other rides? It might be easier to rank such things if there was some hard data available out there (or even educated estimates). For instance, TTD might not be as potent as it seems due to riders being buffeted by high winds, especially in the front seat, which I'm sure adds to the effect.

^Some major parks do force analysis on their coasters. They load up a computer and a dummy full of sensors on a train and run the ride. They collect data measuring the exact forces for lateral, positive, and negative gs, as well as the amount of force applied to different parts of a rider's body such as the neck and back. The end result provides all the data you are asking about and charts it out. There are markers attached to the track that the computer also pinpoints allowing the data to be broken into specific segments of the course. Example, a reflector at the beginning and end of a coasters first drop will earmark points in the data stream and can be brought up as an individual section for analysis. All of Cedar Point's coasters have oval shaped red reflectors mounted to their spines or track ties for this purpose. The rides must remain within certain limits and are tested anually to compare results and make sure the rides are maintaining the same result from year to year. It's pretty interesting stuff. I know Cedar Point does this but I can't say for sure who else does. I'd assume King's Island. A good indicator that a park does this is probably the presence of the reflectors on the track. The results are not public or anything though so I can't help you there. Busch tends to have accelerometers (g force gauges) mounted to the backs of certain cars on rides like Alpengeist, or Apollo's Chariot. If you ride behind those seats you can watch the g force read out right there in person. It's pretty cool. Anybody know why they do this? Is it as a service to the school trips that come for science days?

(EDIT) Found some charts showing what the read outs can look like when measuring forces on a coaster.

http://www.physics.sc.edu/~wilson/midway/wildcat-coaster.html

I am aware of the g-force meters on Alpengeist (never noticed them on Apollo, though, but I usually ride in the front or 2nd to the front, so I may have missed them) and that gives you a good idea of how many g's you pull on that ride. Never noticed any reflectors at CP but next time I'm there I'll have to look. Will also look and see if I see any at KD as I may go down there again this fall.

It would seem that the parks would use g's as part of a ride's stats, like height, speed, length, etc, but I guess that they don't because I'm sure there are people out there who have no idea what g's mean, whereas, other attributes like height are easily understood by everyone. I guess these sorts of stats would be mostly meaningless to all but the serious coaster geek out there.

Positives: Tie between Vortex and Invertigo. Vortex your glued to your seat in the loops and cant get out. Invertigo nearly made me gray-out.

Negatives: Racer at KI. Those bunny hills have a lot of Airtime

Laterals: tie between beasts helix and vortex sharp turn of doom before the MCBR.

Note: These are all KI rides

Positive: Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure. Dang, that helix is intense, I put my hands down and they flew down. I also somewhat blacked out.

Negative: Jack Rabbit at Kennywood. That one darn pop...

Laterals: Thunderbolt at Kennywood. Those turns are absolutely awesome.

• 5 months later...

Maverick's negative air time is pretty much close to zero in quite a few spots, although I never saw any hard numbers or anything, just my own testing on a free app on my iPhone a few years ago.

Thought I'd say this too since this is the first time I've read this post and have noticed the red reflectors before. Not only on Mean Streak, but I have seen them at Michigan's Adventure on Wolverine Wildcat. As far as I'm aware, I haven't heard or seen any testing at MiAd on the coasters.

I never did like the feeling I got from Superman at SFGAm at the bottom of the pretzel loop. Don't know if it's the way you're laying down or just that it pulls a ton of G's or combination of both. Invertigo at Kings Island was another one too. Those trains though are quite heavy so that could be a major factor in that too.

Shivering Timbers though is still my top one for air time. It's the perfect amount too, nothing too flat or nothing too forceful.

Positive: Intimidator 305. When you grayout for a few seconds going into the first hill, yeah, that's quite a few g-forces.

Negative: Skyrush. So much airtime. I think I read awhile back it pulls -2.00g forces during the ride.

Lateral: Cyclone in Coney Island: The turn at the top of the first hill was brutal and the rest of the ride was so rough that it slammed you around a couple of times.

Positive: The highest positive G's I have pulled is probably on TTD, going up directly after the launch. About 5Gs.

Negative: The greatest negative Gs I have pulled is Maverick's first airtime hill, after the "twisties". About -1.2 Gs.

Lateral: Ghost Rider at KBF had some great laterals. About 2.5Gs.

Acceleration: Xcelerator definitely had the most acceleration laterals. About 2Gs.