TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

Wait, Wheelie's 35?

Anyway, the only thing SFOG can do now to make up for this monstrosity is to remove Ninja after next season. Anyone agree?

No. Well, I'm sure people do, but the ride is just fine. The reputation it has among lemmings who post on park/coaster message boards is incredibly exaggerated. Ninja covers SFOG's megalooper category.

It certainly wouldn't make sense to get rid of it to make room for a Star Flyer- those rides need nowhere near the amount of space that Ninja sits on (and it's over water to boot). Wheelie, on the other hand, is older than time itself and occupies a plot of land just right for a Star Flyer.

There is a silver lining to this- they could have taken it out and replaced it with a coaster or nothing at all, like some other parks in the chain are known to do. At least here it's being replaced by another flat ride.

Anyway, the only thing SFOG can do now to make up for this monstrosity is to remove Ninja after next season. Anyone agree?

You guys and your Vekomas, always looking for excuses to get rid of them. I've never ridden Ninja, but if the new Vekoma trains can make Great Nor'Easter re-rideable and Sidewinder bearable (at least to me!), I'd say to put 'em on there in a year or two. I for one totally think that Ninja's layout looks wacky and fun.

You all do remember me telling everyone to make sure you rode Wheelie during Deep South Bash, right? We even had ERT on it!

--Robb "Things happen for a reason..." Alvey

I remember that.....and now I wish I had ridden it during DSB! Hopefully, it will be open when I am at SFOG on the 5th and 6th and I can get a last ride in.

Although it is a shame to see one of the old original flats from SFOG's past go, using the location for a StarFlyer does make sense. As some have said, at least they are replacing one flat ride with another.

Now I just want to see a B&M replace Ninja.....

I'll be there on the 29th and 30th, and will for sure try and ride it one last time.

For the record, I've always thought Ninja, despite being a little rough, always at least looked cool. There's something about it's tall spaghetti-bowl style layout that makes it intriguing. It could also be the black and red paint job, which I've always thought looked really good on its trains.

Too bad looks don't make the ride.

Edited by SFOGdude25

^It's like a Black Widow: beautiful to look at, but packs one hell of a nasty bite-at least, in my opinion.

I have only ridden it once this year, and when I did it was towards the back of the train; I greyed out during part of the ride, and got jostled around a few times as well. In all fairness, the new trains do improve it slightly.

I do wonder if Wheelie is leaving permanently, either for another SF park or spare parts, or, if it might pop up elsewhere in the park at a later date.

Hey, who here remembers the Great Air Racer that once stood where agoraphobia stands now? I stumbled across this old picture from Joyrides.com. It's kind of like an older, quirky version of the sky screamers today. I think I only rode this once, and the one thing I remember was that the wind was blowing right in my face, and I couldn't open my eyes. It could've been the wings of the planes.

Anyways, given that SFOG is now getting a SkyScreamer, it'll be kinda like the Air Racer reincarnated!

air_racer.jpeg.cc631a0dd8df1fe9cf6f60376dc48b52.jpeg

Photo courtesy of joyrides.com

Hey, who here remembers the Great Air Racer that once stood where agoraphobia stands now? I stumbled across this old picture from Joyrides.com. It's kind of like an older, quirky version of the sky screamers today. I think I only rode this once, and the one thing I remember was that the wind was blowing right in my face, and I couldn't open my eyes. It could've been the wings of the planes.

Anyways, given that SFOG is now getting a SkyScreamer, it'll be kinda like the Air Racer reincarnated!

So it is.

Certainly. I believe that Intamin sold...two of them in the United States, one here and the other at Six Flags over Texas. Opryland had a similar ride, but I'm not sure if Intamin made that one. The Barnstormers were big rides but had incredible capacity, 60 passengers per cycle.

I am just now catching up on this. This makes me sad! Wheelie is one of my all-time favorites. It was always my mother's favorite ride, and I remember when she finally got me on it I was scared to death! But I've loved it ever since. So sad to see it go, and for a ride I probably will never have the nerve to get on. Why is Ninja still hanging around but Wheelie has to go?

I figured this would be the place to mention some outstanding service I got at the park this past Sunday (9/23). We flew down to Atlanta to see Pearl Jam on 9/22, and in order to have some time in Atlanta I booked the return flight for Sunday evening. I passed on the opportunity to rent a car because I just didn't want to deal with that. We ended up taking a taxi from Midtown (our hotel was on the other side of I-75 from Bobby Dodd Stadium (Georgia Tech). Cab was $30 to get out there, and our intention was to go straight to the airport afterwards, so we had all of our stuff with us. In order to keep that as easy and hassle-free as possible, I resigned myself to dropping another $30-$40 on a cab.

At the gate, obviously we had to have our backpacks checked, and the lady doing so struck up a conversation about why we were walking around with backpacks filled to the brim with everything you could imagine. We told her about why we were in Georgia and that we're flying back later, we took a cab there and didn't have anywhere to leave our stuff- without even asking she tells us about how we could take MARTA on the way back instead of a cab, and goes over all the details. She tells us that she'll write everything out for us and leave it at Lost & Found for us to pick up. Sure enough, a little later in the day- there it was, just as she told us it would be. I wish I had thought to get her name, but all I remember is that she was working near the gate checking bags at around noon-1 pm. She absolutely didn't have to take the time to do it, and I imagine most people wouldn't, but she did, and we were both very appreciative of it.

I took a few pictures here and there, maybe I'll write out a little about how the day went- as there were a few things worth mentioning.