TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tijuana?

We're credit whoring in San Diego late next week and we'd like to hit Mundo Divertido in Tijuana.

Any advice for a quick commando mission into Ol' Mexico from SD? Bus? Taxi? Tram thing I've heard about? Any insight would be useful.

Also, they're not showing any hours on their site, so if you know, do they have late-ish hours like Belmont or early-ish hours like Sea World and Legoland? We're thinking Friday.

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^I wouldn't expect it to be 'quick'. The normal wait times seem to average around 3 hours at most of the border crossings down there to get back into America. If you're taking taxis in Mexico the place where they drop you off requires a long walk and then a giant wait in another line.

Last time I was in Tijuana I saw a dead body in the streets and people were just running it over more and more. Lovely place.

Edited by SharkTums

I recommend not getting the credit. There are just some credits that are not worth your life and that is one place that fits into that category. I've been to Tijuana several times and it is true that it is very violent these days. If you decide to risk your life and make a trek down there I recommend renting a car. Taxis are not very reliable in that area.

If you do make it down there be sure to take lots of pictures because not many people have (or will) experience the awesomeness that is Tijuana.

Don't drink the water unless you want Montezuma's Revenge...and no, it's not the ride at Knott's

Tijuana is the kind of city best to travel with in-the-know locals. At this time, It isn't a place for tourists to wander aimlessly or rely on the kindness of strangers, which is quite sad, as most Mexican people are honest, hard-working folk who are hospitable and generous.

Although I still travel regularly to Mexico, if I go by road I'm anxious until I'm hours south of the border region.

As Elissa said, if you do go, be prepared for inconvenience getting back into the US. The pedestrian crossings need not take hours, particularly if you use Otay Mesa or another alternative.

Enjoy my home town, San Diego!

I would not recommend crossing the border into Tijuana.

If you take your car, its a good chance you won't have it when you come back.

If you walk across and take a taxi, you can get kidnapped.

It's bad enough for natives of TJ, but you'd have to be insane to be American and even step foot over there right now.

Maybe one of those Tijuana Shopping Tours might be the go, where they drop you off on the main drag and then you can do what you want.

If the locals don't get you, I'd be wary of the L & T Mouse and the Pinfari Death Machine.

I'm not sure if the donkey shows are endorsed by TPR.

Just to repeat what everyone else has said. I used to go to TJ regularly 10-15 years ago. I wouldn't even think about it right now. There is no law in Mexico right now and as others have said, its very sad because most of the people are good, honest, hard working people with a rich culture. The drug lords and the gangs are running the country. Its dangerous even for the people living there. Right now even walking lines to cross the border can be in excess of an hour right now, both inbound and outbound. The car waits can be three hours.

I tried to get the credits 2 years ago, i took a cab to the border, and then got a cab on the other side, whole thing took me about 3 hours. When i got there (around 7-8pm) the park was closing, but 2 of the 3 credits wernt operational (one was missing the train) and the one that was, wouldnt let me on (Gusano Loco). All in all the whole place was pretty run down, and not somewhere i would bother trying to make the trip back to.

Yeesh...I went to Tijuana probably 20 or so years ago while visiting family in San Diego. I will say I was extremely scared being there but didn't really know much. I just remember a smelly cab ride and being pestered by kids on the street selling Chiclets. It was not a fun day trip back then, doesn't sound like it has improved.

I'd steer clear of border towns especially Tijuana. No credit is worth your life. The last time I was in a border town, we got stopped by a cop because they said we ran a stop (ALTO) sign but we hadn't. We had to give them money for them to let us go. Yeh....NEVER AGAIN!!!

As other have said it is not safe there. No where is in Mexico right now. My aunt and uncle had an awesome Cabo house, and even there it is starting to get bad, despite being one of the nicer(from my experience) places in Mexico. It is not worth it for the fw extra credits, seriously.

I had been interested in trying to get to Mundo Divertido. Needless to say, I am no longer considering it.

Yes, I've heard terrible things about Tijuana, but I had been hoping the danger was a bit less extreme and overt.

Unfortunately, like previously said, the country is essentially being run by drug lords, and the border towns are no place to be for a while.

The last time I went to TJ was when my friend took me to a "bar" in honor of my upcoming wedding. The place turned out to be a brothel. The next hour was spent fighting off the advances of an aggressive, decidedly unattractive prostitute with a lazy eye while my friend happily flirted with another working girl. I've never been more grateful to leave a city in my life. Unless you're an underage college student looking to get drunk cheap (and even then, I wouldn't recommend it), don't go. That place is a sh#@hole!

-Doug "No, I didn't sleep with that hooker. Are you crazy?!?" Heim

We're credit whoring in San Diego late next week and we'd like to hit Mundo Divertido in Tijuana.

Any advice for a quick commando mission into Ol' Mexico from SD? Bus? Taxi? Tram thing I've heard about? Any insight would be useful.

Hey Martin!!

I did that trip about 3 years ago. The TR is here.

I would suggest parking in the last lot before Mexico. Walking across, getting a cab, and going straight there. (About 15-20 mins & $20usd)

Mundo Divertido also has a taxi stand right next to the entrance, so getting one back is fairly easy. Same routine on the way back. Be sure to have a park map, or at least have the name written out on paper, so the cab driver knows where to go. On the way back, tell the cab driver "San Ysidro", as they didn't understand "border" when we went.

Bring your passport. Makes it MUCH easier getting back into the US.

Be careful, and have fun!

JJ

I'm amazed to hear that the city got worse. Actually, I would have called it 'comically bad' when I visited almost 10 years ago. Now it just sounds bad, such a shame

Yes it is a shame, I think so too. The last time I went I was around 15 myself and I was expecting something else but when we arrived it was such a disappointment. Dirty, poor and just 'comically bad'. That sums it up quite nicely.