TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Where is everyone staying? I am camping at Lake Rudolph out of convience and cheapness. Got to buy another electric fan as the temps this weekend won't make my little tent fan enough (also got to buy one of those waterproof things for money and stuff). Can't wait, leaving tomorrow about noon my time (eastern).

HN attendance list-

1. Nick (angryemobeaver {actually DropZone99 on every other site})

2. Adam (spaceace12)

3. Nathan (kumba830)

4. Joel(10ryansmith)

5. Justin (RedB)

6. Brandon (saginawhxc)

7. Stefan (VGplay)

8. Dimitri (VoltageCaek)

9. Alex (WildStangAlex)

10. Joe (JEAPUgrad on TPR, Great_Ump on URC)

11. Josh (CoasterBoyJosh)

12. Griffin (GriffyTiffy)

13. Andrew (AndCamSS)

14. Kyle (britishdebutante)

15. AHecht (ahecht)

16. Megan (Pirouettes907)

I'm staying at one of the Choice hotels in one of the nearby towns, although I don't remember which one exactly at the moment.

And Timberliners or not, I am psyched for this weekend. Can't wait to hopefully meet some fellow TPRers!

Where is everyone staying? I am camping at Lake Rudolph out of convience and cheapness. Got to buy another electric fan as the temps this weekend won't make my little tent fan enough (also got to buy one of those waterproof things for money and stuff). Can't wait, leaving tomorrow about noon my time (eastern).

I'll be at Lake Rudolph as well.

Anyone thinking of getting there early to meet up and perhaps take a group photo with our Club TPR shirts?

I was going to stay at the Best Western Lincoln Land in Dale, but I managed to snag a great deal on a room with a jacuzzi in Huntingburg, IN. It's about a half hour away, but should be worth it.

Ok, I couldn't sleep all last night, let's just get to Holiday World already.

I've stayed at that place in Huntingburg for a previous HWN 2006 I think it was. As I recall they do a reasonably free good breakfast, though I recall it being out in the middle of nowhere. I didn't have an in room jacuzzi, but I remember one of our group saying the hot tub located in the common area was "the coldest hot tub they had ever been in".

Not that I should talk about accomodations, we are staying at our usual Cinder Block Palace, okay not really but it is towards the more budget end of the hotel spectrum, in Tell City, an equally long haul I recall. The rooms cold, dark, and has a bed in it, what more do you really need, right? Oh, and last year the only thing open in Tell City for night time cases of the munchies was Taco Bell.

Here, let me help lower the attendance at the morning ERT: I just packed my bathing suit for the Saturday morning ERT. Club TPR card in wallet ready to present at the check in window.

I was going to stay at the Best Western Lincoln Land in Dale, but I managed to snag a great deal on a room with a jacuzzi in Huntingburg, IN. It's about a half hour away, but should be worth it.

I'm in room 249 at the same hotel...stop by and say hi if you want.

I'm going to head on over to the park in about an hour.

Reporting here from the first ERT. Everyone seems to be having a great time despite the lack of timberliners. I hate to say it, but the Voyage really does need something done to fix its roughness. I liked the ride, and really really wanted to love it, but as it is it is just too rough in either of the PTC trains (although the Raven train is smoother than the old train). It seems like Gravity Group is following their CCI heritage and building amazing world-class rides that tear themselves apart and quickly become rough. Hopefully the Timberliners can solve that.

On that note, they did announce at the Q&A that if the Timberliners work out, they will be [considering] buying them for their other coasters since the smoother tracking can reduce maintenance costs. They also had the repaired front car out for us to inspect and sit in.

Anyway, to wrap up this post, the staff here has been great (I've seen the Kochs running around emptying trash cans and refilling drink stations), the food is wonderful (Loaded Baked Potato Salad Pizza), and the rides have been amazing.

Edited by ahecht

^Thanks for the update! Hope you all are having a great time!

It's interesting to hear that Holiday World may eventually end up with Timberliners park-wide.

On that note, they did announce at the Q&A that if the Timberliners work out, they will be buying them for their other coasters since the smoother tracking can reduce maintenance costs. They also had the repaired front car out for us to inspect and sit in.

I was sitting so close to Will I could hear him without the use of the microphone.

He didn't say that will be buying the Timberliners if they work out.

He said they would consider purchasing Timberliners if all goes well with Voyage.

Two completely different statements.

On that note, they did announce at the Q&A that if the Timberliners work out, they will be buying them for their other coasters since the smoother tracking can reduce maintenance costs. They also had the repaired front car out for us to inspect and sit in.

I was sitting so close to Will I could hear him without the use of the microphone.

He didn't say that will be buying the Timberliners if they work out.

He said they would consider purchasing Timberliners if all goes well with Voyage.

Two completely different statements.

Sorry, I was posting from the tiny screen on my phone and did leave out a word from what I tried to write. I intended to say that "...they will be considering buying them..."

In any case, the waterpark ERT on Wildebeast and Zinga was also lots of fun. My best rides on Wildebeast beat out any other water slide I've been on, but some other rides on Wildebeast with different weight distribution were merely good, and didn't have nearly as much airtime. I was really impressed with the rest of the waterpark, but there were a couple of rides such as ZOOMbabwe where they really could've used an extra ride op to help with loading.

I'm looking forward to tonight's ERT.

Edited by ahecht

Re: Timberliners - no worries.

Last night I was one of the guys with the lei's on our wrists.

Today I was the guy who did the "Man-kini" by pulling the end of my shirt through the top of my collar.

Tonight I'm told I'll be wearing a tiara.

Joe "I'll do ANYTHING to make someone laugh" Halley

^ Ahh, so that was you with the tiara!

All in all I have to say. Voyage is out of control, Raven kick serious butt, Wildebeest is better than some coasters, and I just had an amazing time in general this weekend.

I hope to use the complimentary tickets soon to get a taste of the Timberliners. =]

[which are VERY comfortable.]

It was my first Holiwood Nights, so I can't compare it to previous years, but I thought they did a tremendous job putting on the event. I had an absolute blast meeting so many great people over the last two days. It was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I went. I took tons and tons of pictures over the two days, including some nice walk back ones. Plus night rides on the three coasters are not to be missed. I will be in Six Flags St. Louis later today, and then Worlds Of Fun on Monday, but when I get back home I'll get around to getting some of the pictures up.

P1000730.JPG.184309452ae928150f23599dc0ee07b3.JPG

Can you spot the TPr members?

It was my first Holiwood Nights, so I can't compare it to previous years, but I thought they did a tremendous job putting on the event. I had an absolute blast meeting so many great people over the last two days. It was a lot of fun and I'm really glad I went. I took tons and tons of pictures over the two days, including some nice walk back ones. Plus night rides on the three coasters are not to be missed. I will be in Six Flags St. Louis later today, and then Worlds Of Fun on Monday, but when I get back home I'll get around to getting some of the pictures up.

It was nice meeting you the few times I did. Right now I am sitting in the Lake Rudolph shelter because I hurriedly packed my tent because it looked right rain. Of course, not being near a radar, that was not true.

P1000737.JPG.400b528a83e15e02bd31a314ff9f8211.JPG

P1000739.JPG.6cea210463eb28d64f6c8ad38a678eb5.JPG

This guy looks familier

P1000741.JPG.cfbdf5150f97a1a6f42f27e806eca8ac.JPG

Loaded Baked Potato Pizza

P1000746.JPG.37435c19dacea3a6d6626958e1e98984.JPG

P1000748.JPG.e74b41f318a74243e326b133f26942b3.JPG

P1000750.JPG.5f80132f214404cc6af774d5338edd1e.JPG

P1000755.JPG.1ac6a9656863033d5b64e0ff39e4ccf7.JPG

P1000763.JPG.ad59f043c35515dd5f41e1dbb80b12b4.JPG

The Beachcombers (or Combovers) played during ERT, they were actually descent.

P1000765.JPG.8037efd6f3d2261f3b60c562e881e0ab.JPG

Voyage station during ERT.....That is all. In all I got 4 Wildebeest rides, 2 Voyage Rides, 1 on Raven and Legend, and two on Pilgrims Plunge. It was so warm, that just walking, it was muggy.

For those of you who went to HoliWood Nights, please post your TR's! We're looking for some links to add for our first Club TPR Publication! Looking forward to seeing more pics!

--Robb

FOOD

I thought I had a great time at Holliwood Nights '10, but now I'm finding out that I missed loaded baked potato pizza!? WTF!? Was that available during the Friday night meal?? If so, I missed it. Dang. However, I did enjoy Thanksgiving dinner at Plymouth Rock Cafe. It may be the best bang-for-your-buck food purchase in the park (A meat choice, 3 sides, bread, and of course, free drinks for 7.99-9.99). As for the Saturday buffet, the most memorable thing had little to do with the food: Pat Koch's speech. So, so nice.

RIDES

I don't think anything can top last year's Holliwood Nights (Voyage rides post-thunderstorm, off-in-the-distance lightning illuminating the track), but it was still a fantastic event!! The park was so accommodating with extra ERT and comp tickets to make up for the absence of the Timberliners.

Wildebeest was great, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Got 3 rides on it during ERT experiencing different amounts of air time with each one. The front was not as enjoyable as I expected with numerous amounts of spraying and splashing blurring my vision.

Voyage DID seem a bit rougher than I remember it to be. *fingers crossed* that the Timberliners will help smooth things out. The Legend has really grown on me. I love it more than ever. Also, the Raven continues to deliver. Love, love, love it!!!

CABINS AT LAKE RUDOLPH

Cockroaches and cold water. Other than that they were nice (Trying to stay positive).

OVERALL

Another amazing experience in Santa Claus, Indiana. Visited the Christmas Store this year. Yay fudge. Can't wait for 2011!!

P.S. spaceace12, my friend Allison and I are in your 2nd Wildebeest photo (front and second-to-front)