TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I've seen people making comments on the Golden Ticket Awards saying, "So I am guessing HW isn't that friendly any more, and the raven is finally losing its charm on people" and "That is a bit sad for HW." Really!? Cleanest park for the 14th year in the row, 2nd in the friendliest park award, 2nd best waterpark, 3 woodies in the top 20, 3rd best waterpark ride, and the best waterpark ride. Holiday World can't stay #1 in some categories forever and there is no shame in finishing behind some really great parks and really great rides. Now I don't put to much stock into the GTA's (mostly coaster rankings), but I will say that most of these awards are well deserved and go a long way to making HW one of the top value parks in the country.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

There are new rides every year, some of them top old gems, like Raven.

The thing is, The Raven has never finished outside the top 15. For a ride that will be 20 years old in 2 years, it has been able to hold it's own in the polls. It is one of a handful of CCI's, that have actually aged well. As long as HW continues to maintain The Raven, I think they'll be able to claim they have one of the best classic woodies 20-25 years from now.

RavenMaven/Paula, I'm planning on visiting the park in October, during Happy Halloween Weekends. I know the park closed The Legend early for off-season track work last year. Is the park planning on doing the same thing to any of the three coasters this year? Just curious.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I know of a Chance SeaDragon nearby where the height restriction is only 42 inches. As for the capacity of 60 riders, that is 60 children riders, the adult capacity is only 40. the problem with the capacity on the SeaDragons is that even though the manufacturer states that you can put up to 6 children (or 4 adults) in each row, but unless they are tiny, usually no more then 5 kids or 3 adults sit per row, or the restraint will not lock or "green light". Even though the capacity is listed as 60 that is just simply unrealistic, 30-40 is closer to the actual number that I would expect per ride, and that is stretching it.

image.jpg.b5fc8b91ec0f103f3108b8cf76bda931.jpg

RavenMaven/Paula, I'm planning on visiting the park in October, during Happy Halloween Weekends. I know the park closed The Legend early for off-season track work last year. Is the park planning on doing the same thing to any of the three coasters this year? Just curious.

Yes ... Legend will be open through mid-October. Raven and Voyage should be open throughout Happy Halloween Weekends, weather permitting.

Ouch, 48 inches is too tall to be considered a family ride in my book. Let's hope HW changes it to something more reasonable.

I know of a Chance SeaDragon nearby where the height restriction is only 42 inches. As for the capacity of 60 riders, that is 60 children riders, the adult capacity is only 40. the problem with the capacity on the SeaDragons is that even though the manufacturer states that you can put up to 6 children (or 4 adults) in each row, but unless they are tiny, usually no more then 5 kids or 3 adults sit per row, or the restraint will not lock or "green light". Even though the capacity is listed as 60 that is just simply unrealistic, 30-40 is closer to the actual number that I would expect per ride, and that is stretching it.

Height requirements are very rarely the sole choice of the park.

I love this addition for Holiday World. An extremely popular family ride with an amazing location and theme. Even better, it's a Chance! I wouldn't worry about capacity, because the Sea Dragon I have operated on several occasions is the same model (a bit older though) and it's a very quick load and unload.

Height requirements are very rarely the sole choice of the park.

I love this addition for Holiday World. An extremely popular family ride with an amazing location and theme. Even better, it's a Chance! I wouldn't worry about capacity, because the Sea Dragon I have operated on several occasions is the same model (a bit older though) and it's a very quick load and unload.

It is actually a good addition to the park, as they really have no ride like this, and I like the theming of it, but at a park such as Holiday World, where the line for the scrambler can reach 2 hours, capacity on this ride could be an issue on busier days. I have also run one before and even though you are correct about the loading/unloading times, by trying to fill up the ride and reach capacity, the restraints usually have issues "green Lighting" on a row that is full, which slows down dispatch time.

Sorry if I came in over a week late to congradulate Hoilday World for finally getting a swinging ship and calling it "The Mayflower". As for its placement over water should make this ride extra special, just like the Ocean Motion in Cedar Point and the two other swinging ship rides located at Kings Island and Michigan Adventure.

Deep down, I'm still waiting for an Easter theme . . .

Sorry if I came in over a week late to congradulate Hoilday World for finally getting a swinging ship and calling it "The Mayflower". As for its placement over water should make this ride extra special, just like the Ocean Motion in Cedar Point and the two other swinging ship rides located at Kings Island and Michigan Adventure.

Deep down, I'm still waiting for an Easter theme . . .

I believe it's called the Sea Dragon at Darien Lake, and it's over the water...

^ There's some negative connotation with that particular holiday that may prevent Holiday World from adding it.

I agree with your point, but I think HW would be able to work it and design it to be purely Family friendly. Leaving booze and beads out of it lol! I doubt it would ever happen, I just thought it was a cool idea lol!

I'm going Oct. 12th, it looks like it's Family Fun, not Scary at all. I'm looking forward to it, change of pace, plus riding the Coaster's and other rides in the Dark. Look's like they have a Cool looking Laser Show on Sat. Night's and a Halloween Style Show in the Hoosier Celebration Theater every night. Paula says Crowds are light compared to a Summer Weekend.

Paula,

Can you update us on Giraffica? I'm not sure what it has been like this year, but I've heard it's operations have not be good.

Also, I found an article about the Golden Ticket Awards calling the Wildebeest the "Wilderbeest." The first thing that came to mind is Holiday World adding to the station announcements, "This here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!" http://www.wdrb.com/story/23373249/holiday-world-takes-an-international-splash-for-being-the-best

• 2 weeks later...