TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I'm going to venture out on a limb here and say that whatever Water Slides we see put in in the next few years will be of the ProSlide variety, which isn't necessarily a bad thing; I've just seen some great new concepts lately from White Water West.

That being said, a quadruple SuperLoop tower would be a welcome addition to such a great waterpark lacking in body slides.

I'm going to venture out on a limb here and say that whatever Water Slides we see put in in the next few years will be of the ProSlide variety, which isn't necessarily a bad thing; I've just seen some great new concepts lately from White Water West.

That being said, a quadruple SuperLoop tower would be a welcome addition to such a great waterpark lacking in body slides.

Well, they did add a Kima Bay from Whitewater in 2008, before Proslide provided their own play structures, so they could very well use them again, if they wanted a real looping slide, something Proslide doesn't supply.

^ I would to, but I think it is clear that the waterpark is the money maker. It's also where the biggest capacity issues are, so that's why I see the next 2 out of 3 projects for the next three years being in the waterpark. I hope we see a steel coaster in the next three years. I will patiently wait for it to happen. If one thing is for sure, Holiday World won't disappoint. They've always went big on their major expansions.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I just wanted to make a quick clarification:

The article that myself, Screamscape, and others are referencing about the BIG BIG things the next few years may be over exaggerated. Just look at the original Screamscape report that said it sounded like nothing from HW for 2013 when they ended up putting in a huge water slide complex.

I've also personally learned that their plans are constantly changing, so any information before the ride/slide is officially purchased has a large chance of changing.

The people running the park are more that competent. I love the park and the people running it. I can't wait to see what they have in store for the future.

^ You make a great point! I just like to speculate, but also be realistic about what they might be adding. To me, it makes sense to keep adding to the waterpark and addressing other issues throughout both parks until their attendance is close to 1.5 million or so. Then they would probably add something like a steel coaster to push it over the 1.5 million mark. If I remember correctly, they did this with the Voyage to push their attendance over 1 million.

I think it should also be said that the guy who made the statement about the next three years having big projects is no longer in charge of running the park. They have a new majority owner and park president, so their vision of the future could differ compared to the former owner/president. Of course, I believe a appeal is still pending. So the situation could change if the park is somehow turned back over to the former owner. Even though the future, in terms of ownership might be somewhat unclear right now. I think Holiday World still has a very bright future!

Was Giraffica closed after the Cedar Point issue? I know there's the difference with the lift, which is where the issue happened, but I wasn't sure if there was a chance it would be closed depending on what the cause of the problem was.

^ I noticed this a couple days ago on their facebook page.

"Giraffica's manufacturer is coming out to inspect the ride in the hopes of determining ways to improve its reliability. We're sorry, but it's closed until further notice."

This was said this past Thursday, so HW closing the ride had nothing to do with the Cedar Point accident.

^Yea, I just saw that as well. I know that a lot of people defend Intamin saying that they build the most out of this world rides, which gives them an excuse for downtime somehow. When it comes to such extended downtime and not living up to original expectations (i.e. the 90ft wave promised for Pilgrims Plunge), there should be no excuse for that.

Edited by HWFan

^Yea, I just saw that as well. I know that a lot of people defend Intamin saying that they build the most out of this world rides, which gives them an excuse for downtime somehow. When it comes to such extended downtime and not living up to original expectations (i.e. the 90ft wave promised for Pilgrims Plunge), there should be no excuse for that. I applaud parks like Holiday World who are done with Intamin (at least for now) after such a sour experience.

I agree with you about this ride, I love Giraffica/Pilgrims Plunge and its a fun ride, but the whole around, up, down, and back around to station kind of makes for a boring ride. They had plenty of room behind it and could have done so much more with it like other parks have done with the same exact kind of ride. I forget the name of the ride or what park it is in over in Europe, but the coaster section would be a blast and would still be considered a family friendly ride.

Hey I do have to give credit to HW for adding statues of animals to the entrance of the water park. Definitely a nice touch Now if they do add something extra to Girrafica, water squirting elephants I.e. Aladdin's Carpets with the Camels, then that would be nice to have instead of a concrete...

^ Maybe some enclosed tunnels on the way to the lift and on the way back with some major themeing would help with the boredness!

A tunnel was in the original plans for the ride. I'm not sure exactly where, but at least not at the very beginning.