TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

This is perhaps a silly question, but over at Carowinds our Ham On Rye "Cyber Says" thing was removed for a shop. Did this also happen at KD?

April 2002:

May 2006:

Yesterday:

Funny you should mention that because I noticed yesterday that KD's VR attraction over by rebel yell & americana had been changed this season.If you look on the 09 map just under the flag on the eiffel tower there appears to be a building of some sort but darn if I know what it's for & it wasn't there last season.

^Americana wasn't running today (they're still putting canopies on the gondolas). I did get a few turns on El Dorado, but it got stuck, they lowered us down, and dragged trash cans in front of the exit and entrance (at about 3:00 pm).

Still a few bugs to be worked out, it seems.

I was there from about 1:30-5:00 and only saw it testing. I did start out on the left side of the park which is probably why I didn't see anyone on it.

Sucks though to have a "new" ride open and then close the next day due to technical problems.

Mirage/El Dorado was built at Geauga in 1991 and over the years had a handful of problems. I was really surprised it lasted as long as it did.

When the ride was first built, the thing actually went so fast that you actually got airtime. It wasn't until they slowed it down when the ride seemed to be more reliable.

Americana Came to GL in 1999 and was purchased Used from Old Indiana. The ride operated 1 or 2 seasons without any lights on the "wheel" itself. The, the park bought what looked like a Chance light kit for it.

^I think they put Americana in a good spot--it looks nice at the end of the Grove midway (much better than the ugly concrete slab where the trampolines used to be). My brief ride on El Dorado was OK, but nothing special.

^I think they put Americana in a good spot--it looks nice at the end of the Grove midway (much better than the ugly concrete slab where the trampolines used to be). My brief ride on El Dorado was OK, but nothing special.

I agree that Americana's placement in the park is an excellent location.Did anyone happen to notice the dump trucks that were going back & forth along the service road behind hurler from the eiffel tower on opening day? I wonder if that could've had something to do with the rumored project for 2010 as they certainly would've cleared out the dirt left over from Americana & El dorado's construction months ago.

Went out to the park for a few hours today (gorgeous weather/ 71 & Sunny) the crowds showed up in droves! easily the busiest I have seen the place during spring break week. Volcano filled the Q and even Anaconda's line went down to the pier.

Americana did open today but the line was huge and I was by myself so I passed. A lot of families there today really did enjoy the new rides.

I think they did a great job placing Americana where they did and it is gonna look great at night.

JEFF

Just curious, how many gondola's on Americana can the crew load at one time? I know the ferris wheel can hold a bunch of people; but, I am wondering how fast is the turn-a-round when loading/unloading the people.

Went out to the park for a few hours today (gorgeous weather/ 71 & Sunny) the crowds showed up in droves! easily the busiest I have seen the place during spring break week. Volcano filled the Q and even Anaconda's line went down to the pier.

Americana did open today but the line was huge and I was by myself so I passed. A lot of families there today really did enjoy the new rides.

I think they did a great job placing Americana where they did and it is gonna look great at night.

JEFF

You know,with El Dorado's odd placement next to the skycoaster leaving most of that space where HS:XLC's course was open I wonder wether or not a coaster station would fit there?I was reviweing some of the pics I took from the tower on opening day of that general area & it looks like the station/brakerun placement for the rumored hyper might fit easily into that spot....I would see about posting the photo but it's on my camera's memory card & I don't know if,or how I'm able to transfer memory card data from the camera to my PC like I can if photos are stored in the camera's internal memory.

I find it strange that they have removed everything from Hypersuckit's area expect it's station.

I believe they're still using the old station area for one of the haunt mazes just like last season.Funny thing is that on opening day I did see a few dump trucks moving around on the service road behind hurler(too bad I didn't get shots from the tower) so I wonder what it is they could be doing back there?

The amount of debis left over from the installation of the two new flats this season wouldn't be enough to fill one dump truck & yet I saw at least three of them while I was up there.

I like the placement of everything. I love how El Dorado is like right there in the 50's area. The only thing is you need more indication that it's a 50's area. Americana is kinda oddly angled, I assumed it would be like parallel to Rebel Yell, but it still looks like it will provide good views and all.

I didn't get to ride either, Americana was under construction still, and El Dorado kept breaking down

^Well what is rumored to be back in that area,

I predict that the rumored coasters station will be in the dead alley by hurler and ricochet. All there is some pathways for workers, which KD change. It would have to go over the paths, and behind the water park. Making it a ride in the woods.

-Matthew K.

I would imagine the station being placed in HS:XLC's launch spot with the lift/drop going north through old virginia....then again they could place it behind hurler at an angle so that the layout will clear the water park area or use a slight curve on the drop much like KI did in the design for Diamondback.

,pdf files won't work on my computer. Which is why I asked...

Do you have adobe acrobat reader on your computer? You'll need that program in order to view PDF's but I'm sure that if you look on KDfansite you can probably find a thread showing the 09 map somewhere in their forums.

• 3 weeks later...
A little something I found on another website, not sure of the accountability though, but take it and run.....

https://www.hanovercountyvirginia.org/Click2GovPZ/HTLTR/PZLTR/PROD/PZ2009/P0041850.DOC

This is old news & has been going around for a few weeks now.What we need is more info showing the topographical map of the proposed location for the coaster which may provide hints on what the layout & ride type may be.

Has anybody been able to get any night-time shots of the Giant Wheel and El Dorado yet?

If I don't find anything else to do this weekend I'll drop by and take some pictures. I've been wanting to try out my new camera anyway.

I'm hopefully going to visit Kings Dominion later this month over Memorial Day Weekend! It was either free addmission and parking (thanks to Cedar Fair Maxx Pass) or pay full price at Busch Gardens for everything. Money won out in the end.

Is there anything that I need to check out besides Dominator and Volcano? I'm going with my girlfriend who is not a huge coaster buff like myself (but she still rides), so I was thinking of also checking out Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Flight of Fear, and Avalanche.

I LOVED Dominator when it was at one of my home parks of Geauga Lake so I'm really looking forward to riding one of my favorite coasters again!

I'm hopefully going to visit Kings Dominion later this month over Memorial Day Weekend! It was either free addmission and parking (thanks to Cedar Fair Maxx Pass) or pay full price at Busch Gardens for everything. Money won out in the end.

Is there anything that I need to check out besides Dominator and Volcano? I'm going with my girlfriend who is not a huge coaster buff like myself (but she still rides), so I was thinking of also checking out Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Flight of Fear, and Avalanche.

I LOVED Dominator when it was at one of my home parks of Geauga Lake so I'm really looking forward to riding one of my favorite coasters again!

You might want to try Grizzly,it should be open by then & since the rehab was so extensive it should be running rather smoothly too.