TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 201 - Iron Menace announced for 2024!

I think what they need is a larger family coaster (other than Steel Force). This is why a Gravity Group compact coaster or a White Lightning/Invader-style GCI would be perfect. If a kid was trying to get into coasters, they'd ride the kiddie coaster, then their wild mouse, then Thunderhawk, which is a good in-between family/thrill coaster. But the next step up would either be a looping coaster, a tall/launched/90-degree coaster, and Steel Force is a good mine train, but it's one of the taller ones out there. I think a family/thrill coaster a little more intense than Thunderhawk would really round out the lineup well. Plus, that would add a 100% airtime-focused coaster the park needs.

A big-ish wooden coaster would round out their collection so well; I've always felt like that's the biggest thing missing. Hercules was garbage and Thunderhawk just doesn't do it for me.

I live roughly 90 minutes from Dorney and I haven't had any desire to go since Hydra opened. I love Talon, but I'd rather go to Hershey and ride Great Bear (criminally underrated IMO) and then have multiple other awesome rides at my disposal. Hopefully they do something soon that makes me rethink my stance, although I admit I'm hard to please as I'm pretty much a "roller coasters only" guy.

I can see why a lot of enthusiasts overlook Dorney Park. The flat ride collection is BY FAR the biggest draw of the park for me, and their log flume is a great water ride as well. Between Demon Drop, Dominator Red and Dominator Green they pretty much have three drop rides. Plus they have Meteor, The Whip, Enterprise, Revolution, and Monster and Apollo are top-notch family flat rides.

It's not that I overlook it, I just get really bad motion sickness on anything that spins. I get it on roller coasters too after a few rides, but it's a little easier to manage if I just leave the flat rides out. Not a huge waterpark guy either because of lines and the burden of carrying a change of clothes around.

There's just no incentive for me to go when I have Knoebel's, Hershey, and Great Adventure within 2 hours of me and they more or less have a better version of everything Dorney has plus more.

I overlook Dorney because it's surrounded by parks that are better in every way.

In the steel coaster department. Great Adventure and Hershey are killing them.

In the wood coaster department, Knoebels and Hershey are killing them and Great Adventure has the best wood coaster possibly anywhere.

In the flat ride department they're an hour away from the best collection of flat rides at any park in America or maybe in the world at Knoebels. Hershey is no slouch either.

The thing they used to have was a theme park and water park for one admission price. Knoebels has a great pool and a few slides but nothing like Wildwater Kingdom and it costs extra. Unfortunately though Hershey added a state of the art water park that's included with admission so they really can't even go on that at this point.

There's nothing wrong with Dorney but it's surrounded by parks that are far superior and nothing sets them apart.

A pipe dream I know, I just wish more US parks would get Intamin prefabs. Everyone is predicting a GCI and that's probably closer to reality but with how well El Toro has held up after all this time I can't believe more parks haven't invested in at least smaller prefabs like Balder. Would fit perfect in that Dinos Alive spot. I know its like a zero chance but a boy can dream...

Fun fact: If you look at the website of the company who Intamin brokered for and actually manufactured the track, one company is mentioned as being responsible for creating the ride systems, trains, etc. And that company isn't Intamin. My sense is that if you want to buy a new Plug-N-Play for the US, you might need to call Ride Entertainment Group....

I"m not saying a clone of El Toro, just because its a prefab doesn't mean it can't be totally different. Intamin are the kings of doing just about anything parks ask for...

Really, I know its a pipe dream but personally it would have me at Dorney constantly.

I thought Cedar Fair refused to work with Intamin anymore after all the problems their rides have provided them.

I overlook Dorney because it's surrounded by parks that are better in every way.

In the steel coaster department. Great Adventure and Hershey are killing them.

In the wood coaster department, Knoebels and Hershey are killing them and Great Adventure has the best wood coaster possibly anywhere.

In the flat ride department they're an hour away from the best collection of flat rides at any park in America or maybe in the world at Knoebels. Hershey is no slouch either.

The thing they used to have was a theme park and water park for one admission price. Knoebels has a great pool and a few slides but nothing like Wildwater Kingdom and it costs extra. Unfortunately though Hershey added a state of the art water park that's included with admission so they really can't even go on that at this point.

There's nothing wrong with Dorney but it's surrounded by parks that are far superior and nothing sets them apart.

I live 10 minutes away and I'd sooner drive out to Hershey, Knoebels, Great Adventure, or even KD instead of going to Dorney. Though I'm pretty burnt out with Dorney at the moment. You can only ride the same 5 mediocre coasters so many times before you get bored.

Fun fact: If you look at the website of the company who Intamin brokered for and actually manufactured the track, one company is mentioned as being responsible for creating the ride systems, trains, etc. And that company isn't Intamin. My sense is that if you want to buy a new Plug-N-Play for the US, you might need to call Ride Entertainment Group....

Interesting, did not know that.

I thought Cedar Fair refused to work with Intamin anymore after all the problems their rides have provided them.

Jesus people yall do know what "pipe dream" means right?

Knowing how their nearby competitors outclass (demolish) Dorney, is there anything that they can do to beat out the local, superior parks?

I'm coming up with nothing.

They're doing just fine. People won't travel as far for a water park so that's still the big draw. They draw moderate crowds for their haunt event too... nothing like the other parks in the area but still a decent crowd. Coaster lines are still always nonexistent but the mazes can get waits.

Knowing how their nearby competitors outclass (demolish) Dorney, is there anything that they can do to beat out the local, superior parks?

They're just in a tough spot because of the competition. They're pretty much the Six Flags America of Cedar Fair.

They're just in a tough spot because of the competition. They're pretty much the Six Flags America of Cedar Fair.

Better than Great Escape I guess.

Do you think it would be considered a stronger park if it wasn't surrounded by quality parks?

Do you think it would be considered a stronger park if it wasn't surrounded by quality parks?

I would hold Dorney in higher regard if it wasn't surrounded by parks that are "beating" them in the rides department by miles. I still feel the current line up would be lackluster or downright boring depending on what day you ask me, irrespective of the surrounding parks.

I agree with the opinion that Hershey and GreatAdv are killing them in the rides department, but I like Dorney for what it is. I have no intentions of going there this year but I like knowing it exists. There's a good amount of rides I like and I appreciate that I can go there and (most likely) not have to wait long to ride them. I don't even care if they add anything new. I'm glad the waterpark and Haunt do well so that the park stays around.

If it were in a metro area like Omaha or Tulsa, it would be another Worlds of Fun or Valleyfair on the global scene. Like those parks, it really doesn't have anything specific that makes it stand out beyond the local market now that hypers are basically a dime-a-dozen.

I rag on Dorney from time to time, but I agree with Boldikus- I like knowing it's there. I'm going on Wednesday and am really excited. Dorney is the only chance to get on a great ride like Demon Drop.

Actually The Great Escape is one of the better Six Flags parks I've been to because of the scenery and theming. And I agree that Dorney Park is kind of like Six Flags America of Cedar Fair, but it works a lot better since their re-located flat rides are good and I really like Stinger. Six Flags America gets wild mice, stand-up coasters, and stupid things like that.

Michigans Adventure says hi

Adding to the Dorney hype (which actually just sounds a little "off" to say), if I didn't have a platinum pass there's no way I'd consider driving four hours instead of Hershey or Knoebels but for free admission I couldn't pass it up.

It doesn't excite me as much as the bigger parks in the region but for what it is, I'm actually really looking forward to visiting.

Michigan's Adventure is in a crazy small market compared to Dorney and SFA. I'd say the park is treated appropriately as far as new additions are corncerned because it'd be near impossible for them to get good ROI from a huge marquee roller coaster. SFA and Dorney are victims of the insane competition.

I was at Dorney today from 12 to 5. Rode everything that I was in the mood for and then some, because there were no lines on the dry side today. Longest wait was two trains for front row on Possessed, which was around five minutes. The weather was great until around 4, when it began pouring.

Talon: Rode twice in the back left seat. Good intensity in that seat, as you get whipped around the elements. Great coaster as always.

Stinger: Rode it once in car four, forwards. Quite shaky today but nothing out of the norm.

Possessed: Rode it once in the front row. The launch gets me every time, even if it's not that fast of a launch. A great ride and my favorite shuttle coaster that I have ridden.

Steel Forceless: Rode it twice in car one, row three. Surprisingly, it gave decent floater airtime in that row, more than any other time/seat I've ridden this coaster in. It made Steel Forceless feel less like a mine train and more like an actual hypercoaster (a tame one, but whatever. I'd say it was 2/3 actual hyper and 1/3 mine train today). Still lacking force otherwise, but I'll take what I can get.

Thunderhawk: Rode it once in the front row. Unfortunately, the renovations it got in the offseason did not improve this classic as much as I wanted it to. They didn't remove that darn trim on the final bunny hills either. Disappointed. At least it isn't a complete nutbuster like it was in 2014.

Hydra: Rode it twice, both in the back row. The first ride of the day was the average ride on Hydra - sluggish and lacking force. However right before the second ride, it had begun raining hard. This led for a more exciting ride on Hydra as I was pelted with rain. It felt like the SWAT team was trying to shoot the beast down.

Demon Drop: This ride is awesome and terrifying in every way possible. First of all, it looks sketchy as hell, from the carnival-esque structure to the loud crashing it uses to lower cars back into the station. The ride itself is perfectly designed to emit fear: it drags you backwards into the lift, slows down as it gets to the top, inches you forward, and drops you suddenly. The drop and landing on your back felt forceful and frightening. Getting the car back down to the station was rough, but I took coasterbill's advice to keep my head forward and it wasn't that bad. This ride is one of the best rides in the park, and I'm thankful it came here instead of going to Knott's as intended back in 2010.

I also went on a few other rides, but none were notable. One major difference that I noticed since the last time I was here (early June) was that the operations were better. Nothing impressive, but a lot better than it was a few weeks prior. They have gotten a little better on the "everyone has to leave before I can open the gates" thing, now it's down to having just a couple people left in the bin area before they unlock the gates. The rain was pretty bad, although most rides kept operating until it was a downpour. On my way out of the park, I noticed there was a train stopped at the top of Talon with guests, must suck to be stranded up there in the rain. Overall I had a good time at the park today. Things could have been better, but they could have been much worse as well.

So no Thunder Creek Mountain? It's nothing if not notable. So good...

Not this trip. Personally, I dislike being in wet shorts/underwear, so if I'm not in swim trunks then it just bothers me for the rest of the day until it dries. I like going on TCM before I go to the waterpark for the day since I will already be getting wet later in the day, so I ride the flume then. I could have gone on with the pouring rain today since I would have ended up soaked either way, but I was being picked up earlier than expected because of the rain so I tried to go on Talon one last time in the rain since it was closer to the entrance (would have been the third time) and it estopped at the top of the lift with people on it before I got a ride, so that didn't happen.

Thunder Creek Mountain is a great flume however, I won't deny that.

Michigan's Adventure is in a crazy small market compared to Dorney and SFA. I'd say the park is treated appropriately as far as new additions are corncerned because it'd be near impossible for them to get good ROI from a huge marquee roller coaster.

Must... resist... the urge... to destroy... this off-repeated ridiculous argument!

Michigan's Adventure is in a crazy small market compared to Dorney and SFA. I'd say the park is treated appropriately as far as new additions are corncerned because it'd be near impossible for them to get good ROI from a huge marquee roller coaster. SFA and Dorney are victims of the insane competition.

Dude, do you even internet? How many times does this statement have to be completely destroyed before it goes away.