TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Cruise Ship and Cruise Line Discussion Thread!

The reports on CNN right now are amazing. One of the passengers from the ship reported to CNN (now that they are in cell phone range): "Once helicopters were able to reach the ship and started showing images, Carnival make the staff clean up all the tents, sheets, towels, and debris that were on the top decks to make it look not as bad as it has been. They are trying to 'cover up' what we've been through..."

Just amazing Carnival....

My guess is that in an amazing, daring, "unexpected" Caribbean raid, Somali pirates will take this ship, and it will never be heard from again. I'm sure Carnival has already written the press release.

I have been following this story closely and feel I know quite a bit on the topic, so here goes:

1) From what I gather, the U.S. Coast Guard does not allow at-sea transfers of passengers unless they abandoned ship, which wasn't necessary. Also, given the waves and wind, there would be no safe way to transfer passengers to another ship as a gangway would be too unstable.

2) There are backup generators, but they were built and placed for an 'emergency'. Basically, this generator is located away from the engine room, typically in the funnel housing but it's purpose is to supply power only to systems deemed 'essential' in an emergency situation such as communication and navigation equipment, lifeboat davits and select lighting (including at floor level) throughout the vessel. In essence, this system was designed to be used on a sinking ship, not one that's 'dead' in the water for days, hence why sewage and water systems aren't hooked up.

Going forward, I would imagine all newbuilds will have their diesel generators located somewhere outside the main engine compartment to keep this from happening again. I dunno how the cruise lines could retrofit their current ships though.

Ultimately, the Triumph got back 40% of its power a couple of days ago and they have power to the MDR and several elevators although half the toilets are still out. In all honesty, given the information readily available, the passengers aboard Triumph have more going for them than those aboard Splendor did a few years ago. The media is eating it up too.

^ Where are you getting this information from? It doesn't sound accurate at all. If they were on 40% power, why isn't 40% of the ship working? And they don't have "half of the toilets out", according to actual passenger reports, they have a total of 12 toilets working on the entire ship. 12 toilets for 4,000 people! I don't think this sounds anywhere near a comfortable ratio. Not sure if you're reading the same stories I am, but I've read that people have to crap into plastic baggies. Your post is making this sound like it's "no big deal", and I don't know if maybe you're a Carnival fanboy or something trying to make this not look as bad as it is, but it's seems pretty horrific. Sorry, but I don't buy what you're selling.

Also, the Splendor was trapped for less than 3 days, these people are going on day 5. I'm not sure how you can say these people are better off.

Edited by robbalvey

1) From what I gather, the U.S. Coast Guard does not allow at-sea transfers of passengers unless they abandoned ship, which wasn't necessary. Also, given the waves and wind, there would be no safe way to transfer passengers to another ship as a gangway would be too unstable.

Excluding everything else you've mentioned, the majority of "tenders" aren't going to travel more than 10 knots per hour, so that idea would make no sense. Carnival ships travel at near full capacity, so transferring them to another ship wouldn't be feasible.

-chris "I'd never want to be on a carnival ship, but I'd still prefer it over a tender, life boat, or tugboat" con

^ Where are you getting this information from? It doesn't sound accurate at all. If they were on 40% power, why isn't 40% of the ship working? Sorry, but I don't buy what you're selling.

Carnival on Monday said technicians on the Carnival Triumph had restored its freshwater system, and toilets were operating in some parts of the vessel. Some power had been restored to the ship's Lido buffet, allowing for hot coffee and limited hot food service. Power also has been restored to a limited number of elevators on the ship, making it easier for passengers to move around the vessel.

USA Today

^ That's the closest link I can currently find, but several family members have been contacted by those aboard today and have been posting on Cruise Critic regularly. For whatever reason, power has been mostly restored to the forward part of the ship only, I can't explain this unless it has something to do with the electrical system having not been damaged forward by the fire (engines are more aft).

According to those posting, passengers have been able to find power outlets that work and are using power strips to charge their cell phones and such and apparently the food hoarding was true, they asked people to stop hoarding food and began serving them (versus a buffet style they had earlier). The USCG hoisted aboard another generator earlier today to provide more hotel services, but I haven't heard what effect this may have had.

And, no, I am not a Carnival fanboy by any means. But the media is sensationalizing every morsel of information they get and are trying to make the entire industry look bad. As for how Splendor had it worse, they didn't have any power restored at all (no elevators, no hot food, etc) whereas Triumph has.

^ I would believe what is being posted on Cruise Critic even less than the mainstream media. The people on Cruise Critic are inherently Carnival Fanboys, which is why they are on Cruise Critic and a Carnival ship to begin with. I've seen some of their postings. They could have been anally raped multiple times while on that ship and still defend Carnival to the nth degree.

Sorry, but I wouldn't source the Carnival boards on CruiseCritic and expect anyone to take you seriously.

While I agree the news has been sensationalizing it, as that's what they do, if you listen to the actual phone calls coming in from real passengers, they tell a story that the news doesn't have to add much to in order to sensationalize.

CNN just had a live caller from the ship on about 20 minutes ago and said all she's been able to eat today is an orange, there is no heat or temperature control of any kind, and she had to poop in a bag. It was also reported that Carnival is doing everything they can to "clean up" the top decks of the ship so the media helicopters can't report on how bad things looked.

Personally, I think Carnival is trying to 'cover things' up just as much as the news is trying to uncover them. While I can't really blame both sides, it will be interesting to hear "real" stories and photos (read: not ones from Cruise Critic Carnival supporters) that get released in the next few days.

--Robb

I agree with you for the most part, Robb. But we both know CNN will air the person who wishes to paint the experience as the apocalypse before someone who would say it's not the best, but bearable as most accounts seem to indicate. I am also sourcing some info from the Facebook group set up for family members of those aboard whom are sharing what they're hearing.

Edit: First photos from aboard the ship

Edited by tntornadox

^^ Ok, whatever. Just letting you know you sound like all those Carnival fanboys on CruiseCritic who seem to think that everything that is going on is totally "acceptable" and Carnival is doing a "good job" with everything that's happened.

If that's what you want to believe, knock yourself out.

Edited by robbalvey

I kid you not, yesterday as my dad was waking up from anesthesia for a minor procedure, I asked him what he was was thinking and he said, "Never go on a Carnival Cruise again!" We did some years ago and had no problems but I thought the TPR crowd would appreciate it.

What is interesting to me is that many people I know have not made the connection that many of the recent problems are Carnival-related. They are just saying that they are staying away from cruises overall.

On a happier note, 7 of my girlfriends and I just booked a big birthday celebration for this October on Freedom of the Seas! So excited to get back on that ship again!

And, no, I am not a Carnival fanboy by any means

Oh, that's interesting, because I just looked up all your posts in this thread, and almost every single one of them was something about Carnival cruise lines and your defending of the company.

Sorry, but I'm calling your bluff.

--Robb "BUSTED!!!" Alvey

Pooping in a bag is not something I would consider "bearable".

Not even for bears.

Yeah, I find it pretty difficult to put a happy face on this latest Carnival fiasco. Maybe something like this: "Hey, at least we didn't capsize."

What is interesting to me is that many people I know have not made the connection that many of the recent problems are Carnival-related. They are just saying that they are staying away from cruises overall.

And this is whats so tragic about the situation. So many people think that ALL cruises are the same, and don't realize that, yes, one of them is the Wal-Mart of the Seas!

IMO, Carnival is a cancer to the rest of the cruise industry, but unfortunately, at the same time, we NEED them. Because if they didn't exist, where would all that trashy clientele that is attracted to Carnival go? I don't want them on a ship that I'm going to sail on, so they need someplace to go!

I just wish there was a way to better educate the world about the various cruise lines and how different they really are.

--Robb

And this is whats so tragic about the situation. So many people think that ALL cruises are the same, and don't realize that, yes, one of them is the Wal-Mart of the Seas!

My parents must be special then, because both of them realize that Carnival is horrible. That being said, they still don't have any desire to go on a cruise simply because they don't like the idea of being out at sea for days, but at least they don't think all cruise lines are the same. Me, I'd love to go on a Royal Caribbean Cruise, and stay FAR away from Carnival.