TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

Didn't Walt say something about "and it should all be surorunded by a train"? I can already hear the purists complaining.....

Tell that to Tokyo Disneyland, lol! They have a train, but it only runs inside the park

and around and through Adventureland and Westernland. Not around the park.

(Transit tax laws back in 1983, prevented a train going all around it, w/more than one station.)

So - the purists should be complaining about TDL as well as ShDL.

Just to add another WOW to the list ! Love the dragon on the rapids , The proper show area in front of the castle. As for Tron not a huge fan of the films (please don't flame me). But the coaster look awesome. Ever since riding flamingo lands booster bike wanted Disney to do speeder thru endors forests.

Stu K

It's great that they have a lot of land for future expansion. From the proposals the park seems a bit empty but that way we know there will be a lot to come.

As for traveling, people are taking bullet trains. Road trip isn't that big in China.

Hats off to Disney! This looks unbelievable! I definitely need to crank my Hong Kong / Shanghai double-header planning up a notch!

It's difficult to tell from those pictures if there is a lot of land for expansion and I find it weird that Disney Town eats into the park, rather than being in a separate location. It's almost like Shanghai Disneyland has 'lost a land' because of it.

DL has Adventureland / New Orleans Square

MK has Adventureland

DLP has Frontierland

TD has Adventureland

HKD has The Lion King show / Grizzly Gulch

SD has Disney Town which is outside the park?

It's difficult to tell from those pictures if there is a lot of land for expansion and I find it weird that Disney Town eats into the park, rather than being in a separate location. It's almost like Shanghai Disneyland has 'lost a land' because of it.

Here's a link to the overview of it in Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.1457483,121.6596173,1330m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-US

What's interesting is that if you compare this to the park map, you can make out the Tron coaster is more to the direct west of the castle than being more in the upper left area. That giant area that looks like bus terminal loops take up that area that is all green currently on the park map. And I haven't gone through and matched up ride per ride in the list they gave and what's on Google maps, but it does look there might be one or two big show buildings that are being constructed that aren't on the current grand opening list, but I could be wrong. So perhaps we are looking at a "phase 1" opening Spring 2016 and phase 2 is already currently in development?

Maybe someone with more time can take a closer look and see what they come up with?

1016481572_ScreenShot2015-07-17at08_34_33.thumb.png.b9ec093aa6c2187aafd0b8cd3c66c1dc.png

Edited by robbalvey

I wonder if there is more to announce. Maybe they held some things back for D23? I only ask because there are some big things on the map that is unaccounted for. As well, there wasn't a parade announced, and there clearly is a parade route (its the white line on top of the colored walk ways. Starts at Mine Train/Pirates and ends at the back of Tron). So hopefully there is even more to come at D23! I am really hoping for something totally original, something steeped in Chinese culture that really is unique.

I wonder if there is more to announce. Maybe they held some things back for D23? I only ask because there are some big things on the map that is unaccounted for. As well, there wasn't a parade announced, and there clearly is a parade route (its the white line on top of the colored walk ways. Starts at Mine Train/Pirates and ends at the back of Tron). So hopefully there is even more to come at D23! I am really hoping for something totally original, something steeped in Chinese culture that really is unique.

A parade was announced.

“Mickey’s Storybook Express,” a spectacular daytime parade, will transport fantasy, romance, music and merriment throughout several lands of Shanghai Disneyland. Traveling along the longest parade route in a Disney park, the parade will be led by a whimsical locomotive. A line of themed “train cars” will follow, each with its own exciting musical soundtrack and colorful cast of performers. Each train car will feature the characters, story and music of a favorite Disney film. With magical surprises, “Mickey’s Storybook Express” will bring the park to life with joyful energy.

https://www.shanghaidisneyresort.com.cn/en/about/gardens-of-imagination/

In earlier concepts, there was a Toy Story Land between the TRON coaster and the Frozen Sing-Along that's shown on this map. Now it's not happening for the opening. So I think that is a probable future addition to the park. That question mark above the Hunny Pot Spin was, I thought, to be for another Winnie The Pooh dark ride. And the question mark beside Peter Pan, would be I suspect, more shops and eating places.

I had thought that there would be a Winnie the Pooh dark ride along with the Hunny Pot Spin... is that correct? If so, perhaps it is where one of the "?"'s is... or has nothing been announced?

Also - does anyone know the answers to the following?

- does Roaring Rapids have just the one animatronic? (although it looks like a doozy...) I had thought there may be some prehistoric creatures throughout the show building portion of the ride... but wasn't sure.

- I had thought I had heard of some cool things taking place inside the castle (outside of the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto) but they didn't mention anything in the announcement outside of the stage shows and the boat ride. Are they keeping that close to the vest until opening?

- I had also heard that Peter Pan may be a unique ride system compared to the others... perhaps even a very mild inverted family coaster.... anyone know more?

I had thought that there would be a Winnie the Pooh dark ride along with the Hunny Pot Spin... is that correct? If so, perhaps it is where one of the "?"'s is... or has nothing been announced?

No Pooh dark ride. Probably because Hong Kong already has it. Same with Toy Story Playland.

- I had thought I had heard of some cool things taking place inside the castle (outside of the Voyage to the Crystal Grotto) but they didn't mention anything in the announcement outside of the stage shows and the boat ride. Are they keeping that close to the vest until opening?

There will be a Snow White walkthrough inside the castle...

"A magnificent, winding staircase in the middle of the castle will lead guests on a “Once Upon a Time Adventure” providing a memorable experience created especially for Shanghai Disneyland. For the first time in a Disney park, guests will interact with an animated version of Snow White as they stroll through scenes of her story. Passing through a “Magic Mirror” portal and into this wonderful fairy tale, guests will meet Snow White’s friends, witness the evil deeds of her enemies, and share her dreams through realistic, interactive technology. This “Once Upon a Time Adventure” has special meaning to China since Snow White was introduced as a Disney princess in Shanghai on Feb. 8, 1938, with the premiere of the animated movie, Snow White."

- I had also heard that Peter Pan may be a unique ride system compared to the others... perhaps even a very mild inverted family coaster.... anyone know more?

Correct...

"The flying sensation in Peter Pan’s Flight will be enhanced by a newly developed inverted-coaster ride system, debuting at a Disney park for this attraction. With new magic, the ride vehicles swoop closer to the action with varying speeds, enabling guests to become more immersed in the story as they fly in and out of each scene."

No Pooh dark ride. Probably because Hong Kong already has it. Same with Toy Story Playland.

There will be a Snow White walkthrough inside the castle...

"A magnificent, winding staircase in the middle of the castle will lead guests on a “Once Upon a Time Adventure” providing a memorable experience created especially for Shanghai Disneyland. For the first time in a Disney park, guests will interact with an animated version of Snow White as they stroll through scenes of her story. Passing through a “Magic Mirror” portal and into this wonderful fairy tale, guests will meet Snow White’s friends, witness the evil deeds of her enemies, and share her dreams through realistic, interactive technology. This “Once Upon a Time Adventure” has special meaning to China since Snow White was introduced as a Disney princess in Shanghai on Feb. 8, 1938, with the premiere of the animated movie, Snow White."

Correct...

"The flying sensation in Peter Pan’s Flight will be enhanced by a newly developed inverted-coaster ride system, debuting at a Disney park for this attraction. With new magic, the ride vehicles swoop closer to the action with varying speeds, enabling guests to become more immersed in the story as they fly in and out of each scene."

Great info.... thanks!

Smells like a Mack.

Correct...

"The flying sensation in Peter Pan’s Flight will be enhanced by a newly developed inverted-coaster ride system' date=' debuting at a Disney park for this attraction. With new magic, the ride vehicles swoop closer to the action with varying speeds, enabling guests to become more immersed in the story as they fly in and out of each scene."[/quote']

WOAH!!!!! How on earth did I miss the Peter Pan coaster?!

So am I right in thinking that 3 coasters have been announced for opening? TRON, Peter Pan and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train?

Do you have any more info on the Explorer Canoes? Are they likely to be similar to the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes at Magic Kingdom that I would have been on in the late 80's / early 90's?

• 2 weeks later...

I just found concept art of Voyage to The Crystal Grotto boat ride!

It was included with other artwork, we've already seen here in the thread.

But this is definitely something I hadn't seen before.

It's courtesy of Disney Insider.

Fantasyland.jpg.4b536a176003f57fd048afd25d5ec62a.jpg

The boats look pretty big, too.

Voyage to the Crystal Grotto looks like a great attraction, I love highly themed lazy boat rides and transportation systems like the Jungle Cruise, and Living with the Land. Heck I love just riding the Disney Transportation boats around the MK reort area so this should be awesome.

I always wished Animal Kingdom would have made some kind of jungle cruise esque boat ride attraction with real animals and elaborate show scenes but it sounds like the Avatar baot ride might end up being something similar for that park.

Anwyays this, along with everything in this park, look amazing.

I went digging around, on the Chinese language part of the Shanghai Disneyland site, and found a

few photos not posted here, mixed with a couple that have been posted before....

adventureisle.jpg.450a5a7ef4d217190f3e84b300b038fb.jpg

The model of the "mystery creature" is in the top pic,

while a (full sized?) model of one of the rafts is below.

dumbo.jpg.d9ddb33be97d1ea4f26bbe18bc772be6.jpg

Dumbo, which will be in the front gardens area, in front of the castle.

models.jpg.6ca920eb4bff09ac20d2c9adad0fb8e3.jpg

In the top model pic, you can make out the area that the

Voyage to the Crystal Grotto, takes up. While the bottom

photo shows the show building (left) for the rapids ride,

and the show building (centre) for the Soaring attraction.

To the right of that are the probable show buildings for

Treasure Cove (stunt show and PoTC ride).

statuary.jpg.0340d4f231a8de910218e37a81b38500.jpg

Not sure where these will go, but they seem (to me) to be

either part of the Fantasyland attractions, or Treasure Cove

....or both! (o;

The round green roofed building in the second photograph will be, I believe, the new World of Disney store.

Also, below are the 12 "Gardens Friends", who will represent the 12 signs of the Chinese Zodiac....

(Gardens of Imagination are on the ShDL map on page 50 of this thread.)

TwelveGardensFriends.jpg.086edea00d94d6102531754250db86ae.jpg

The Zodiac Garden will be located in front of the Castle, as part of the Gardens of Imagination land.