TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What is your favorite band?

The music I like to listen to is generally not known by the general public, but some of it is. Here is a list of my favorite bands/albums Of Montreal, Pretty Lights, Juno (the soundtrack), Daft Punk (they do the original version of Harder Better Faster Stronger), Kill Bill (the soundtrack) Fountains of Wayne (they do Stacy’s Mom but that is not one of their better songs) and Arctic Monkeys.

On a side note you can download Pretty Light’s music at www.prettylightsmusic.com/. So if you get a chance you should check out some of their music. Tell me what you think!

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolute all time favorite is The Cure! Been a fan for 21 years now. I've seen them 14 times which is pretty good considering they've only toured the U.S. 6 times since I got into them back in 1987. I've got 5 more shows lined up for next month, I CAN'T WAIT!

That being said other tops are as follows:

Goddesses:

Siouxsie Sioux of Siouxsie & The Banshees and The Creatures

Bjork in all 3 of her bands. She's tiny and odd but absolutely amazing with an amazing voice.

Elizabeth Fraser of Cocteau Twins

Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance

other bands I hold in very high regards(essentially these bands can do no wrong...for the most part):

Depeche Mode

Joy Division

Bauhaus

The Smiths

Oingo Boingo

The B-52's

The Cramps

Oasis

Stone Roses

Ride

Belle & Sebastian (pre 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress')

The Jesus & Mary Chain

Christian Death (with Rozz Williams only)

Virgin Prunes

The Cranes

Rudimentary Peni

Skinny Puppy

Neutral Milk Hotel

Pulp

(London) Suede

Stereolab

Massive Attack

Portishead

Placebo

Pixies

Love And Rockets

Slowdive

Crass

A//Political

Poison Girls

Le Tigre/Bikini Kill

Miss Kitten

Fischerspooner

Public Enemy

Desmond Dekker

Phyliss Dillon

Madness

Violent Femmes

Kraftwerk

Felix Da Housecat

Nina Hagen

Flux of Pink Indians

VNV Nation

Zounds

Buzzcocks

O.M.D

earlier Prince

Radiohead (I've seen them a few times, the best show was at The Wiltern in LA back in 1997 when they were touring for OK Computer. However, I've grown tired of their pretentious fans that think they are Gods gift to man-kind, they're good but not that good. My favorite album is a probably The Bends followed by OK Computer. Kid A was swell but thats about the time fans started to become annoying. It is also about the time that I started my campaign of indifference towards the band due to fans. Hail To The Thief not so great. I got In Rainbows on first day of the download but have yet to listen to it.)

Daft Punk is an amazing live band. Saw them in the late 90s as well as a couple years back. Great live show, not as great in the car.

Not particularly a band, but I am really into Tiësto. He's a very popular and famous DJ from the Netherlands and he is simply amazing. Not only are his songs the best electronica/trance/techno around, but the shows that he puts on are jaw-dropping. Last summer, me and my friends drove over 14 hours to Arnhem, Netherlands to see him just one night... and it was SO worth it!

This clip was taken by a friend of mine:

At 1:05, you can see me! I'm wearing a white shirt and dancing crazily!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIfsea4tQXw

The turnout that night was over 90,000+! Amazing show!

If you like dance music, Tiësto is a MUST listen. I guess it is perhaps only a European thing to like electronica music, because I've rarely seen anyone here in New Hampshire listen to it, but I think people should give it a chance!

tiesto.jpg.5d73e5d032aaf7ba3257fa151abfc34b.jpg

GOD.

^Glad to see another electronica music fan among here! I think we're the only two!

You should definitely see him in concert, the shows he puts on are just incredible. Videos don't do it justice. Really, they don't! But I think you still need to wait a few years! All of his concerts are either 18+ in Europe and 21+ in the States...

other bands I hold in very high regards(essentially these bands can do no wrong...for the most part):

Depeche Mode

Joy Division

Bauhaus

The Smiths

Oingo Boingo

The B-52's

The Cramps

Oasis

Stone Roses

Ride

Belle & Sebastian (pre 'Dear Catastrophe Waitress')

The Jesus & Mary Chain

Christian Death (with Rozz Williams only)

Virgin Prunes

The Cranes

Rudimentary Peni

Skinny Puppy

Neutral Milk Hotel

Pulp

(London) Suede

Stereolab

Massive Attack

Portishead

Placebo

Pixies

Love And Rockets

Slowdive

Crass

A//Political

Poison Girls

Le Tigre/Bikini Kill

Miss Kitten

Fischerspooner

Public Enemy

Desmond Dekker

Phyliss Dillon

Madness

Violent Femmes

Kraftwerk

Felix Da Housecat

Nina Hagen

Flux of Pink Indians

VNV Nation

Zounds

Buzzcocks

O.M.D

earlier Prince

Radiohead (I've seen them a few times, the best show was at The Wiltern in LA back in 1997 when they were touring for OK Computer. However, I've grown tired of their pretentious fans that think they are Gods gift to man-kind, they're good but not that good. My favorite album is a probably The Bends followed by OK Computer. Kid A was swell but thats about the time fans started to become annoying. It is also about the time that I started my campaign of indifference towards the band due to fans. Hail To The Thief not so great. I got In Rainbows on first day of the download but have yet to listen to it.)

Daft Punk is an amazing live band. Saw them in the late 90s as well as a couple years back. Great live show, not as great in the car.

One of these things is not like the other....

Nice choice though!

I listen to pretty much anything but right now I like

Deathclock

Atreyu

Sliknot

Cradle of Filth

Muse

Circa Survive

Motion City Soundtrack

Black Sabbath

Disturbed

Bullet for my Valentine

Death Cab for Cutie

System of a Down

Serj Tanikan

The Malhuerex

Paramore

Metalica- pre her lady misery

Rob Zombie

Dragon Fore

My Chemical Romance

Taking Back Sunday

Korn

30 seconds to mars

My favorites have changed some.

1.My Chemical Romance

2.Led Zeppelin

3.AC/DC

4.Guns N' Roses

5.Black Sabbath

6.Linkin Park

7.Smashing Pumpkins

8.Rolling Stones

9.Genesis

10.Green Day

I have also lately been into Bullet For My Valentine, Pink Floyd, Metallica, and those are just very few of over fifty bands I listen to.

Not particularly a band, but I am really into Tiësto. He's a very popular and famous DJ from the Netherlands and he is simply amazing.
Wow.... you are so lucky... I want to see Tiesto SO bad in concert, it seems AMAZING. I wanted to go to Ultra Musci Festival in Miami, and he was playing, but I'm pretty sure the show was 18+

Hopefully when I get older I can see him live. And in the video, Traffic looks insane live!

Glad to see another electronica music fan among here! I think we're the only two!

I think you got a third

^^Yes, Tiesto really knows how to put on a good show... that's why SO many people go to see him! For his "Elements of Life" tour in 2007, he incorporated fire, water, and laser shows all at the same time. It's brilliant, really! It's aesthetically so pleasing to the eyes. What makes a Tiesto show great, (besides from the music, obviously!!) is the lights. You just want to get up with your best mates and daaaanceeeee...! "Traffic" with fireworks...!

Yeah, but I definitely think you should see him live when you are old enough (Actually, I think the age is probably 21+ for Tiesto in the States, since they almost always serve alcohol there). If you're a fan of Tiesto, check out Ferry Corsten too! He's also very good!

I think I'll just list some bands that I really enjoy:

VHS or Beta

Dredg

Flogging Molly

Justice

Daft Punk

Busy P

Mr. Oizo

Feadz

DJ Mehdi

SebastiAn

Sebastian Tellier

Dimitri from Paris

Jack Johnson

The Beatles

Cobra Starship

Blaqk Audio

Tiesto

Ferry Corsten

ATB

Donkey Rollers

DJ Zany

Jowan

Combichrist

And lots more, I'm just to lazy to write them all down.

---Brent

^^

Ferry is really good. I like his music alot; him and Tiesto are pretty much tied as music goes for me . But shows, Tiesto would put on a better one.

But the best dance show with all the effects will always be Daft Punk

I didn't know this, but I was reading something on Tiesto and Ferry Corsten, and apparently... they worked together and were called "Gouryella". After about a year together, Tiesto decided to pursue a solo career and so did Ferry Corsten. I'm so glad they did, because their music is really different from one another! But in a good way!

And you're totally right... Daft Punk live =

I don't understand the logic that a lot of people use that they can't like a popular band. If you like the music, why does it matter how many other people feel the same way? A band you like becoming popular can be a really good thing, it often means that they can afford to record higher quality music with better equipment. Sure, if a band becomes popular and sells out their sound then that's a bad thing, but if a good song gets picked up by MTV that doesn't change the words or the meaning. How can your favorite band becoming popular ruin them for you?

Plus, bands that don't have fans are too poor to go on tour. True story.

I don't understand the logic that a lot of people use that they can't like a popular band. If you like the music, why does it matter how many other people feel the same way? A band you like becoming popular can be a really good thing, it often means that they can afford to record higher quality music with better equipment. Sure, if a band becomes popular and sells out their sound then that's a bad thing, but if a good song gets picked up by MTV that doesn't change the words or the meaning. How can your favorite band becoming popular ruin them for you?

Plus, bands that don't have fans are too poor to go on tour. True story.

We actually discussed this in my English class a couple of weeks ago. I used to wonder the same thing, especially seeing how I was one of those people that never wanted my favorite bands to get too big. The class concluded that its largely because people feel that the band, in a sense, is their own. They discovered that band, and because not many other people know of them, its almost as if it's a unique characteristic for that person. Therefore, when the band becomes widely popular, people feel as if they are losing a part of themselves, or something that made them unique. I can understand why people would be bummed about it, but as you said, that doesn't make their music less good, unless they sell out of course... coughOARcough.

But to add something to the debate that my class didn't discuss, I get bummed out a little because the live experience changes drastically. I love going to see the smaller bands I like simply because the live show is so much more intimate. For some, I could be at the very back of the venue and still only be 50-60 ft away. Even if the venue is medium-sized, it still beats an arena or a huge amphitheater. So that's an extra reason why it bums me out, but at the same time, I'm usually happy for the band and I can't say it "ruins" it for me.