TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Manual or Automatic?

GAcoaster

Manual or Automatic Transmission?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Manual or Automatic Transmission?

• Automatic- Shifting gears is WAY too complicated!
    • Manuafluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo I'm a control freak, with a stick in my hand!
    • Doesn't matter to me, I can go both ways!

Just curious, what is everyone's preference on cars...manual transmission (5-Speed) or automatic?

I noticed at a recent ACE event that there were more cars than average which were 5-speeds, and I became curious if this was a characteristic of all coaster fanatics (like the 6th sense for finding buffets), or just a freak of people attending East Coaster (and the word freak immediately came to mind when looking at some of the crowd there).

Personally, I am a manual man. Every car I've ever owned has been a 5-speed, and I wouldn't dream of buying an automatic. I even special ordered my car so I could get it in 5-speed and had to wait a month for them to build it.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gasp!!!!! I wouldnt even dream of buying an automatic. If i had a choice about it, my car now would be a manual. But what can i complain for. It was free... I even learned how to drive in a stick shift, something thats not too comon around here anymore. And I'm with you, i would totally special order my car to be a stick shift.

Rob

I drive an automatic and am trying to learn a stick but can't get it down. My dad keeps trying to teach me but i totally can't get the whole press the gas in a little and let the clutch out a little to compensate with the gas- yea anyway itll be forever till i get it...

its real simple, For the normal everyday cars, an automatic is perfect, who wants to drive through traffic in a stick?

For sportier cars, and I don't just mean corvette's, you have to have a stick, it is ALOT more fun to drive our Tiburon with the Six-Speed, than it would be with the Auto

I learned on a 67 veedub when I first got my license. The first time I drove an automatic I would always press my foot down looking for the clutch and instead hit the brake all the time. Now I drive an automatic since my 73 VW is dead in the garage. One day it might come back alive.(doubt it)

I drove a manual for nearly 20 years (I had a 1983 Supra), but now I drive a CR-V with an automatic. Manual is fun, but sometimes it's nice to just put it in gear and go---especially in traffic.

But I've had some fun with manual transmission cars. Last fall I got to drive a 2005 Cadillac CTS-V with a six-speed manual and 400 HP V8. And a friend let me take his S2000 out once. You can get into some trouble in one of those!

Eric

Exactly.

For city traffic and just going to some shops and the mall, an automatic transmission is more than enough.

I myself prefer the F1-like shifts Ferrari has, or Tiptronic as Porsche named it.

Alot of cars in Europe are starting to have it now. Even the little Smarts.

Imagine: manual gears, but with only two pedals and no clutch or "stick".

Only an upshift and downshift button (or stick) left and right on (or just behind it) of the steering wheel.

It's awesome ! So you have gears, yet no clumsy third pedal.

• 6 months later...

I have always liked a Stick Shift. (Or 5 Speed)

When you have a Manuel Transmission you have more control over your car.

If you need to pick up a lot of speed you can down shift, and sprint forward! (Unlike an Automatic)

If you own a sports car a 5 speed is the only way to go, But, if your driving a Minivan than yes a automatic is probably your best choice.