TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

The latest Screamscape rumors.

2012 - New Flume Ride - Rumor - (7/19/10) Remember that rumor about a new flume ride in development for the park? If the latest rumor is true, they could be speaking to Mack about building a new Super Splash ride for them to replace the old Splashwater Falls ride for as early as 2012. More when we find out.

???? - Whizzer Replacement - Rumor - (7/19/10) Lots of interesting rumors were sent in regarding the possible future of SFGAm. This is all more long-term planning rumors, and nothing that is going to happen right away, so all of this can be taken with the grain of salt, as ideas constantly change as time goes by.

First off the disappointing news what we all knew would come someday. Yes… the Whizzer is going to close… someday. I know we’ve heard that rumor almost every year for the last decade or so, but the honest truth is that it is going to happen someday… sooner than we would like to think. It’s well know that the Whizzer is not only old, but difficult to get spare parts for, so most of the time they have to have stuff custom made, which isn’t cheap. The good news however is that in an attempt to be a little proactive, Six Flags is said to have asked Mack to look into recreating the Whizzer’s layout for when the time comes to replace it, they could possibly build an all new version for everyone to enjoy. Again… this is just something rumored to have been looked at, and there is no word if this was something done under Shapiro’s era or Weber’s new regime.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_america.htm

As much as I hate the thought of losing Whizzer, I'm all for a newer version of it when the current one is unable to operate anymore.

The Super Splash comes off as "meh" to me. Nothing I'd be too excited about.

Im really interested in seeing where this Mack love leads to...

Really, Screamscape? Whizzer nonsense - again?

Let's play a little numbers game... A big new coaster (big enough to fill Whizzer's footprint) would cost about $20 million. So even if it costs $2 million a year to maintain Whizzer (which seems utterly absurd), then it would still take 10 years for the new ride to be worth it. 10 YEARS! And that doesn't take into account any of the maintenance costs for the new coaster. Now Six Flags is a public company .. do you really think they're going to say to the board "well umm we're going to spend $20,000,000 on a new barf-em-out floorless coaster, which no-one's going to give a crap about, to replace a beloved but costly icon that still draws lots of people to the park". The board will say "OK - how long until we see a return on this investment?" .. "Oh, a least 10 years". Even if it was 10 months the board would likely say "wow - that's a long time".

Meanwhile, on the other side of the park we have Iron Wolf and Demon - two gigantic sh*t-holes that most people would be happy to see gone. I have no doubt that Whizzer will be gone eventually (probably soon), but this "it costs too much to maintain" nonsense is .. well it's nonsense. Until I hear anything from the park about the fate of that ride, then all rumors will simply be filed into the "crap" bucket.

Cameron.

I think a super splash would make a good addition to the park. Granted, thrill seekers will be upset about the park not building another large coaster, but super splashes seem like great rides at the parks they are at. I'm not sure how the new Six Flags management feels about theming this early out of bankruptcy, but with some theming, a super splash could end up looking really nice. If a super splash is added, I wonder if that little area will receive its own theme considering it doesn't really have one. I know the park just received Buccaneer Battle which usually lacks a line, but I think a super splash will still make a good addition. Illinois can have some really hot summers, and considering the ride experience a super splash offers, I think it will be well received.

As for a Whizzer replacement clone, I don't think it will happen. Not to mention, if Mack can make a Whizzer clone, why can't they just make us spare parts? I could understand them not matching to what's there, but even then, rebuilding the lift motor, spiral lift, brakes, and/or trains would still be cheaper than a new caster. Unless the entire coaster structure is falling apart, I don't see why it would be necessary to replace Whizzer with a clone of itself.

I doubt Iron Wolf or Demon will be around much longer. Even though Demon has been running fairly well with the refurbished trains, Iron Wolf and it only have lines when the park is packed. Both locations could be put to much better use for the park as locations for more flat rides or coasters.

With the new management, open park space, and soon to be removed rides, it'll be interesting to see how the park changes over the next 1-5 seasons. Great America has improved a lot, especially this year, and it'll be great if the new management is able to fix the dead spots and bring back some theming.

If the Whizzer was really that difficult to maintain, I doubt they would run 3 trains most of the time. They would use the 3rd as a parts donor or as a backup for when one of the others needed to wait on a custom made part that would take too long to manufacture/ ship. Plus keep in mind that they just build the little dipper which I'm guessing is not easy to find parts for.

If the Whizzer was really that difficult to maintain, I doubt they would run 3 trains most of the time. They would use the 3rd as a parts donor or as a backup for when one of the others needed to wait on a custom made part that would take too long to manufacture/ ship. Plus keep in mind that they just build the little dipper which I'm guessing is not easy to find parts for.

Little Dipper is a small PTC wooden coaster. PTC still makes trains/parts sooooo...

Well, Whizzer use to run 5 trains. They took one off and named it the "official" parts donor for the other 4 trains. (I think it was train #3, but doesn't matter...) But you only see them running 3 of the trains.

Instead of completely demolishing Whizzer, I really think they need to give it a Texas Giant-style makeover. New track, new trains, some theming to enhance the experience.

With spare parts being harder and harder to come by, the ride could use a major rehab to extend its life a couple more decades.

With other large Arrow coasters starting to go the way of the dinosaur, seeing Demon go would be kinda sad, especially since its an original MGA ride.

I love Whizzer and hope it stays around for awhile.

Now what's going on in the Splashwater Falls area? If they're planning to put a new ride there, I can only guess that they'd put a thrilling flat ride in that spot. I say this because I think that it's the only thing that would make people cross the bridge to get over there because it is in a kinda secluded spot.

^I've heard two flume ride rumors. One is replacing Yankee Clipper with one I believe would similar to Shoot the Rapids, and the other is placing a Mack Super Splash on the old Splash Water Falls site. Either one would probably make a good addition to the park, and while I would love to see the park get more flats(a screamin swing or dark ride would be great), the park doesn't really need them. With the exception of Buccaneer Battle, all the water rides have waits, and with the water park reaching capacity daily, Great America should continue to focus on water rides/attractions.

If they would just take out Demon already they would have a huge amount of space (combined with that of Splash Water Falls), they could add a large coaster and several flats and not have it feel cramped. Plus being close to the center of the property they'd have a lot less issues with noise (neighbors complaining).

BB doesn't have lines because it has insane capacity.

Cameron.

Viper was named one of Paul Rubens Top 10 favorite coasters. Paul Ruben is an editor of Park World and claims to have ridden about 800 coasters.

Viper, Six Flags Great America

Gurnee, Ill.

Inspired by the classic Cyclone at Coney Island, N.Y., this coaster is "10 feet taller, a little faster and a whole lot wilder," Ruben says. "Everything that's good about the Cyclone is even better on the Viper." It masterfully employs the picket-fence effect — rushing past stationary objects to add to the illusion of speed. 847-249-4636; sixflags.com/greatamerica

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/10great/2010-07-22-roller-coasters_N.htm

I would hope you guys would get a new splash boat. An old wound but would Deja Vu have fit in that spot in 2001?

Where the upcharge skycoaster is what was on that platform prior? When I rode American Eagle last week I saw a newer concrete circle within that attraction platform. It was my first time visit to SFGAM last week.

I would hope you guys would get a new splash boat. An old wound but would Deja Vu have fit in that spot in 2001?

Where the upcharge skycoaster is what was on that platform prior? When I rode American Eagle last week I saw a newer concrete circle within that attraction platform. It was my first time visit to SFGAM last week.

There was a flat ride called Big Top there - which was moved over into SW Territory (now called Ricochet) when they brought in DDD. It was/is a HUSS Swing Around ride. That whole area is just so different - what with the Dive upcharge/Revolution (used to be a carousel in that spot)/Wiggles World (back in the day, that entire area was the line for American Eagle).

As far as Deja Vu fitting in that spot (I'm guessing yes), I was always amazed that they were able to shoehorn that ride into Sky Whirl/Hay Baler's old footprint!

July 31, 2010 Update:

I initially thought the park wouldn't be that crowded for a Saturday during peak season due to the overcast skies and chance of rain, although, I realized as I arrived, that it would be the complete opposite. In addition to the crowds of families and teenagers that one would expect on a Saturday, there were also a lot of groups visiting that day. I was actually tempted to get a quick coaster ride(although I knew it wouldn't be quick), some photos, and then leave. However, due to not having visited the park since May 30, and not being able to come back tomorrow, I decided to stay longer.

New:

-All parking is now $20. What was the preferred parking lot has now been split in half between regular and preferred.

-Whizzer's now advertising "The Other Guys"

-In addition to playing "I like to move it" every hour, they were sometimes playing it half past the hour.

The Day

-The park is still very clean.

-The park was extremely crowded. I don't know it is was unusually crowded due to me avoiding Saturdays in the peak season, but the park was packed. Waits included 2.5 hours for Superman, 1.5 hours for Dark Knight, 1 hour for Little Dipper, Raging Bull in the second queue house, Sky Treck Tower's queue was 1/2 full, Big Easy Balloons had a full queue, and Whizzer's queue spilling in to the midway(improved later in the day).

-On a better note, American Eagle was running amazing. The red side was incredibly smooth, and there was a lot of airtime on my rides.

-Yankee Clipper was closed

-King Chaos was closed

-Staff in general seemed were still friendly, and with the exception of the slow operations I saw, seemed to be working hard to deal with the crowds. The only troublesome areas operation wise I saw were Raging Bull apparently running two trains(although one could be out of commission), and Superman appeared to be only running one train.

Now, onto the photos:

P7310067.thumb.JPG.dabc1be1c7a5b18be428ea5af7f0544e.JPG

Welcome to the next SFGAM update

P7310003.JPG.eb37b7e27ba35030ee135f0f1f933e5d.JPG

When I saw RC's queue, I knew I would be waiting a long time for everything.

P7310005.JPG.922078394b83e3848809a59b9e0f3b5b.JPG

Going up

Also, B:TR's queue was all the way in Gotham City Park when I saw it

P7310006.JPG.3ade4c7d680dc2a80ab1f943f87ba478.JPG

Vertical loop

P7310007.JPG.1137ea8bb59a17ec21571d6d86045d24.JPG

One of the best parts of the ride.

P7310008.JPG.783ff7aa15a4adfb760aab8fb42569eb.JPG

Even after 18 years, B:TR is still the park's most intense ride

P7310015.JPG.1ec35e9698bb752ae095bbdcd568ac9f.JPG

Everyone has this photo

P7310025.thumb.JPG.9ccb174eeb5cb22ca871604f23d849b9.JPG

I managed to get lunch when no one else was, and immediately after I sat down, a large group came in to eat.

P7310029.JPG.5c6a37e2895f272350ef32e40fdb21bb.JPG

Hi Rapids Nerd

P7310035.JPG.752b40bf0fb8317ffc2dda30f5c2819c.JPG

Little Dipper is a fun little ride, but not worth the hour wait. Luckily I won't have to worry about crowds in 2 weeks.

P7310045.JPG.58fc8ff7fb6e5c09b8c2d2bcefe15dd2.JPG

Revolution is a ride I'll never ride again

P7310069.JPG.d02c64bfcce27dc0e3e5f47736936718.JPG

Raging Bull is a fun ride, but I wasn't feeling waiting as long as I'd have to for it.

P7310072.JPG.7e400b0d972c8e156eb4df43dd654ceb.JPG

Superman

P7310047.JPG.1717ab0dec2fc17982081a8d03a621df.JPG

Aerial photo time:

Hurricane Harbor

P7310059.JPG.6a417d601dc54a994e037e0f35b8eed3.JPG

B:TR/Overview of park

P7310061.JPG.ae9b72a1f1a89c29e46a9fff228320f4.JPG

Viper

P7310062.JPG.4aa09a2323b0c3e4bca506cb5596de0e.JPG

Whizzer

P7310065.JPG.1aff92e201dde250b9bad8fbab17e90a.JPG

S:UF

P7310068.thumb.JPG.a7549dbec5c5573165788bdc5ea64c62.JPG

...and I end this update with a B:TR photo I forgot to place with the others.

On the bright side, compared to today, my next visit should be 1000000x better due to it being on a weekday and a TPR day.

^You thought that a SATURDAY in July wouldn't be that crowded? That's probably one of the times which you see the park at it's busiest no matter what the weather is.

It's great to hear that Eagle is running strong this year, but how is Viper doing lately?

^I knew it would be crowded, but I thought the weather (which was initially overcast and looked like it would rain soon) would keep the crowds down from what they would normally be. The weather cleared up later on, but even then, the crowds seemed closer to something I'd expect to see for Fright Fest or a concert night. Southwest Territory still had some stuff set up from Wednesday's concert(maybe they keep it up for the entire concert series), so I thought I visited on a concert night until I saw the concert dates.

That being said, I knew it would still be crowded, but it was far more crowded than I predicted.

I don't know how Viper is running since all I did today was American Eagle and Sky Treck Tower due to the lines. When I decided to stay, I initially planned to stay until 5, but with crowds continuing to build, I decided to leave at 3. I usually go on Sundays during the peak season, but since I won't be able to(getting ready for vacation), I had no other option.