TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I went to the park with my family on the 4th and it was HELL! The park was full of people and the lines went on for hours! I didn't get to see Ig-Night from the ground, because the plaza was FULL of people. But i was able to go on Demon, AMERICAN Eagle, and X-flight with little to no wait

I am finally going to the park either today or Sunday, all depending on what time I get off work this morning. I haven't been to ghe park since 2011, despite living only 65 miles away, so I'm pretty excited to finally get my X-Flight credit- which happens to be my 150th overall credit!

I am finally going to the park either today or Sunday, all depending on what time I get off work this morning. I haven't been to ghe park since 2011, despite living only 65 miles away, so I'm pretty excited to finally get my X-Flight credit- which happens to be my 150th overall credit!

Have Fun Buddy! And Congratz on your 150th

Went there today from 5:30-close. The drive is actually only about a half hour using 88 and 294 coming from 355 and ogden. Never really timed it before. Crowds were not bad at all. Started with Whizzer. Waited maybe 15-20 minutes. Some of it was due to a couple guys coming in from the exit row with a white sheet that had a bunch of black type on it. The ride op nicely asked if they could have our seats and if we could take the next train. This happened again with our seats when we went on Demon right after, but with a family of 4. The ride ops would be marking things on the paper they were handed. Both times we were in the very back rows. No one looked disabled, so, I'm not thinking it was the disability pass thing I read about on SFGAW.

Whizzer gives me a lot of floater air for some reason. It's a good feeling. The ride doesn't feel any different than last year. It's always a little jerky but otherwise smooth. Next up was Demon and it was about the same as last time. Tried putting my head back and still got the whiplash type of feeling at the end of the inversions-without any physical contact with the headrest. I wouldn't describe Demon as particularly rough and bumpy, but it definitely jerks you around a lot. Line had a couple of the rows in the queue filled, maybe 15 min wait. Next up on X Flight I felt like I pulled the harness down too far and the ride op pushed it in even more. Man did that suck. First time I ever really felt a lot of discomfort with a harness. It was digging into my collar bone and just overall really constricting me. Rode row 4, right side again. Was an awesome ride but I was glad to get out of the harness. Wait time was about 20 min. After a maybe 10 min wait, rode Eagle Blue and felt it was far inferior to Eagle Red. Much more bumpy and rough, less hills at the end. Some wasps were buzzing around the wood to the left of the train on the outside of the structure when we were waiting to head back into the station. Luckily they didn't have any interest in us riders.

That was the last of the coasters for us. The coca-cola dance thing wasn't all that interesting. The following flat rides were all about 20 people deep as far as a line, so we waited one cycle before boarding. Whirleygig was good as always, but they made the descent take a couple minutes longer than any other time. Namtab had a really long line. Queue was slightly spilling out. I feel sorry for the people who hadn't been on it who waited all that time. I still don't like riding backward on the Big Easy Balloons. East River Crawler was great. I'd never been on it before. It's like the scrambler/hometown fun machine, triple play, tilt a whirl, and tornado had their best elements all thrown in one ride. Sure I wish it went higher a bit longer, but with such variety, it's hardly worth complaining about. There's still a few rides I haven't been on. Orbit, Fiddler's Fling, V2, Richochet, the one spinner in County Fair, and I think that was it.

We tried to hit Ultimate Pretzel at around 9:15 but the line was probably 200 people long and we left for the funnel cake place. A buddy of mine went Friday and told me around 9:30 that he had been in line for Pretzelman for 90 minutes. He got sick of waiting and went on Condor. It looked like only one train was running. Usually that ride is almost a walk up that late at night. The line for the funnel cake place was 5 people long. However, it was absolutely swamped around 9:40ish when we walked by on our way out. We only spotted 5 or so buses all day. Skipping Ignite makes it real easy to leave the parking lot.

Do any of you guys know of seats with longer seatbelts on V2 or Batman? I read on a Cedar Point forum that on some coasters you'll have different seatbelt lengths on different seats within the same row.

^ You got to wear sunglasses on Viper? Whenever I tried to on Viper, or any other ride at SFGAm, the operators wouldn't let me.

Not sure what's going on, but it seems the park is having some troubles with flat rides this year. Orbit, River Rocker and Condor are all currently closed. Orbits been closed for a while, and Condor has been having trouble all season. River Rocker is being held at an angle so I'm guessing the problem is under the boat, maybe with one of the tires that propels it.

Batman has it's first forward train in the station, so that should open up again soon.

^If that's true, I just hope there isn't a pattern that all SFGAm rides will go to SFA, like Iron Wolf did. I wouldn't be surprised though, because when I went last year, most rides at the park had like 45-90 min waits, and Ragin Cajun had no one. If anything, IMO I think V2 should go, because it has low ride capacity and it's practically a kiddie coaster now without the holding brake. And I hope Orbit doesn't close because it's one of my favorite rides in the park!

^Are you serious? V2 is one of the most loved rides by the GP, and one of the most popular rides in the park. Doesn't matter how bad the capacity is. I don't think it's going anywhere for a while. Plus the park can use some more Intamin.

I would say that Ragin Cajun is actually one of the most loved rides at the park. The capacity is a well-known nightmare, but people love that ride. Every time I take a new (non-coaster-nerd) friend to the park, it's one of their favorite - if not their most favorite.

It's not too popular with most of us fullthrottle ( ) coaster nerds, but people love that ride. 2 out of 3 times that I ride it, it's outstanding and crazy as bat crap.