TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Just give them a couple weeks to straighten everything out. Great Adventure was the same way. Opening weekend most rides only had one train, but within a few weeks all operations were back to normal.

Agreed. Plus, most schools just let out, or will be letting out next week after the holiday. I know that's not a great excuse but it's something to consider.

Even though there were some hiccups on opening day, I still had a great time because I was with friends that I haven't seen in forever.

"Early in the season" is no excuse. If the park is open, they should be fully functional. They're the ones who set the date for opening day, they need to be ready for it. They have six months to prepare for the season, it's not like it's sprung upon them at the last minute.

If a flat-ride or two (or three) isn't ready, ok - but X-Flight? Seriously? That's the Big New Ride - it needs to be running at full capacity: both trains, and full staff. Opening weekend, across the park, was a disgrace. Do you think I can go to my job after a long weekend and just do nothing for a few days? No, of course not - it's expected that I *work*, because that's my job. Otherwise I get replaced.

Six Flags job is to have rides running for people - not repulsive loud TVs or hideous advertising banners ... every guest hates that stuff. We're there for the rides. If management can't get the rides running, then find people who can.

Cameron (I've stuck up for Six Flags for over 10 years - no more, I'm done with them) Silver.

^ I agree that opening day was bad and that they should have been much further along then they were. But it does seem like there may be something going on with X Flights second train, as it's weird that they would finish all the rows but the first and then leave it for days to finish other rides. While I'm thinking there may be something up with X Flight, like it's waiting on a part or something, the park should have at least said something or put a sign out in front of it apologizing for the reduced capacity and longer lines.

So I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for X Flight, but there's really no excuse for everything else especially when you're still going to hand out $20, knowing that the park is not ready to handle those kinds of crowds.

"Early in the season" is no excuse. If the park is open, they should be fully functional.

The reason is "the kids aren't out of school yet" if you bring it up at the park. I know I know... I defend them too much myself. No more. Even if the rides are all up, Six Flags still runs rides at least 30-50% less efficient than Cedar Point. Then, what about the 35 minute wait for cold fries (after they already have payment for your season dining pass - never again for me). Those fries come cold and with that wait when its busy ("we're too busy") and when it's dead ("we send employees home when it's this slow").

I've never understood the whole "one train till summer" model that Six Flags often follows. The park sets it opening date months in advance. Why in the world can't they get the rides open and running at full capacity? And I understand rides break down early in the season as the kinks work out, but trains in pieces on the ground is a different thing entirely. The rides are WHY people come, especially when they are the "not hotness," and if the first few weekends are going to be throwaway weekends then they should be priced accordingly. I get all the arguments about summer staffing, crowds, etc., I just don't care anymore. Thankfully my home parks - Carowinds and Kings Dominion - are much better about this. The woodies often have one train (and don't need two early on) but the big rides usually have two or three.

Even if the rides are all up, Six Flags still runs rides at least 30-50% less efficient than Cedar Point.

Although I haven't been there for a few years, I always thought this was different at least with Great America. Their operations team is really good and quick usually. When I have been there on slow, early June dates, they never go below two trains on the bigger rides if more are available, and they don't section off rows.

Cedar Point I was too on a really slow day (wow, nearly 10 years ago now), and they sectioned off larger portions of their rides to make sure there was a line. I asked someone who worked there in management about it, and he told me the idea was you always wanted a little line so people would stay in the park longer and want to buy more stuff. Admitedly, I don't know if that is true or if it is still the policy, but Cedar Point running really quickly was about equally as fast with operations themselves as Great America was.

The rest of the Six Flags chain I would tend to agree with you on.

I wonder if the unseasonably long cold has something to do with so many issues. Unless this is something that has been happening for a few years now, everyone who I know who has gone to Great America early in the year has been impressed by just how ready they have been.

If, on very slow days, some rows are roped off I think that's ok. I've seen Dragon Challenge with a sparse crowd and it takes more time for the ops to buckle all the empty seats when guests are allowed to sit anywhere compared to just leaving empty seats buckled and only having to push the restraint down.

The last day to ride Batman Backwards is July 7th!

And American Eagle will run backwards this fall! Confirmed on their twitter.

And also Viper Backwards! Wow! Who would have known!

I can't get the Youtube tags to work, but here is a video.

Source:

Edited by Jerrykoala2112

Even if the rides are all up, Six Flags still runs rides at least 30-50% less efficient than Cedar Point.
Although I haven't been there for a few years, I always thought this was different at least with Great America. Their operations team is really good and quick usually. When I have been there on slow, early June dates, they never go below two trains on the bigger rides if more are available, and they don't section off rows.

I would agree that Great America is much better than the other Six Flags parks. But still way behind Cedar Point. Multiple trains can help efficiency, but not when they are stacking for minutes and plenty of empty seats going on (including double seats...). This is all year long, not just at the start or end of the season. GAm has some great employees - they really try their best. But my main point is they don't have much to work with. The training simply is not there to begin with.

With my experience of first working at CP then going to SF (back in 1995!), there was a HUGE gap in overall operations (especially with ride capacity efficiencies). Now, that gap is even bigger.

Six Flags Announces a Full Season of Backwards

GURNEE, Ill. — May 24, 2013 — Six Flags Great America announced today that guests will experience a full season of rollercoasters running backwards. The backwards campaign began with BATMAN: The Ride on May 4. Six Flags, the world’s leading regional theme park company, has set in motion a series of rollercoasters that will run for a limited time backwards.

“Innovation is a part of our company’s DNA and we strive to provide thrilling ride experiences for guests of all ages. BATMAN: The Ride appealed to our extreme thrill seekers and now, Viper and the American Eagle open up the backwards experience to all our guests. It’s going to be an amazing season,” said park president, Hank Salemi.

The official last day to catch BATMAN: The Ride backwards is July 7. The park will offer Viper backwards for the first time ever beginning July 8 through August 26. This thrilling wooden rollercoaster is modeled after the famous Coney Island Cyclone and has delivered over 21 million rides since opening in 1995.

In the fall, the world’s longest racing wooden rollercoaster, the American Eagle, will once again hit the tracks in reverse. While this is not the first time that the American Eagle has assumed the backwards position, it’s surely a fan favorite.

Stoked that I'll be getting on at least one of these backwards rides. This trend is starting to kinda put the "icky" in "gimmicky" for me, but at least each train switch will provide a unique experience and gain its own group of fans. Viper was already a quality ride (though I found it a bit overrated) and I bet it will be crazy!

Interesting to read the complaints on how the park is doing this season. I haven't been since 2010 and never put it in my top tier of Six Flags parks; it struck me as pretty average, and more hyper-commercialized than some.

Didn't the park buy a whole new chasis for Batman? Seems like a lot to effort for a few months- maybe we'll see that chassis end up at another park for a Batman promotion.

From what I understand from the Coastercon video/announcement, SFGAm sent their original chassis to B&M for some sort of "makeover". The backwards chassis is on lease until whatever changes are made, and the original chassis is returned. The PR lady said something to the extent of; the original chassis will return with changes almost as exciting as the backwards transformation. After that I think we can expect to see the backwards chassis' rotated throughout the chain until many if not all Batmans receive the same refurbishment/makeover. Am I the only one that paid attention to the entire announcement?