TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFGAdv or Cedar Point

I am probably going to SFGAadv or CF next summer(2010) so although this is very early, I am wondering where I should go.

El Torro> Mean Streak

TTD?KK

Nitro? MF

Medusa(bizarro)>Mantis

Also, how far is Colombus from Sandusky, because I am debating whether I should go to KI in Ohio, or Morey's piers while I am in NJ, what should I do.

(Note: rides with question marks mean I don't know whats better)

Thanks guys!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey

I'd say Cedar Point!!! I Love CP and Id LOVE to go back!!!

Mean Streak is no Toro (For Sure) but Gemini and Blue Streak are Great rides.

Dragster is #1 for me...

Mantis wasn't all that great (for me), but MF, Magnum, Twister, and Maverick all make up for it!! And if you go at the right time most of the rides could be walk-ons.

Good Times at CP!!!

I had Good Times at GADV, but for me, CP packs a bigger Punch!!

Accomadations are close by and Cleaveland is not too far!!

Oh and the msn map google said KI was 3 1/2 hours away, def. possible!!

Either one of these parks are great! You'll have a good time!!

Thanks guys, its still like a year away, but I thought I would as now so I dont forget to ask. Thanks for your comments. I am going to sound so mean for saying this, but best case scenario is if my dad does not want to go and I go on a summer TPR trip. He is doing this to be nice(which is awesome) but he hates crowds, and he likes rides, but will not endure long lines like I will. A TPR trip may be a third option to this list wehen they are announced.

Go to both! lol

Gosh, CP is truthfully a much better overall park experience with amazing coasters and flats with Lake Erie as the backdrop. (I just don't know if there is a better view from a lift hill as the one on Magnum.) SFGAdv is also a super park with the added benefit of being in Jersey with the shore, NYC, Philly all nearby. It really depends on what you want to do with the rest of your trip. If you're just going for the amusement park, then by all means Cedar Point wins.

I am probably going to SFGAadv or CF next summer(2010) so although this is very early, I am wondering where I should go.

El Torro> Mean Streak

TTD?KK

Nitro? MF

Medusa(bizarro)>Mantis

Also, how far is Colombus from Sandusky, because I am debating whether I should go to KI in Ohio, or Morey's piers while I am in NJ, what should I do.

(Note: rides with question marks mean I don't know whats better)

Thanks guys!

I would go to Cedar Point. Their operations are much better than GADV's (I got all my credits at CP in one day despite rain) and their coaster collection is stronger. Sure, there's no El Toro, but they have Millennium Force and Maverick (my #1). Oh, and TTD is better than KK in my opinion (smoother, no OTSRs) They also have a great collection of flats and water rides. Thunder Canyon and Snake River Falls are awesome. Not sure how SFGAdv's water rides compare since I didn't get a chance to ride them.

To answer your other question, I think you mean Cincinnati, not Columbus. Mapquest will help you figure out if that is worth the trip. I would do that trip if I could just to ride Diamondback.

Didn't get to ride El Toro (wasn't open ) during my last trip to GADV, but I would say Cedar Point

Mean Streak is pure garbage, Mantis = , but other than that I would give the edge in "similar" rides to CP.

Can't really do a true "comparison" on most rides except TTD and KK, which I would give a slight edge to TTD, but neither rides are "great"

MF first drop > entire Nitro ride

Also, as you mentioned CP isn't far (well...other side of the state basically) from KI, which it sounds like Diamondback is a huge winner.

Hmmm, I love amusement/themeparks but if you are traveling I would also take into consideration on what else is out there.

I am sure you will have a blast at either park, but consider what you can do besides the park at CP(basically nothing) or SFGADV where you are close to some of the greatest cities(NYC, Washington, Philadeplhia)

Would be a shame to travel halfway thru the country just for an amusement park and see nothing else

Just my two cents

thanks guys, I do flats, but my dad skips most because he does not like to spin, so I will skip most of them. Also, now that I am thinking about it, CP is a better choice, because we can just stay on property. Still give me suggestions please, because as said before, it is more than a year that we are going, but my dad said I pretty much have to plan the entire vacation and we could go where ever I want. I have done Disney World(no universal or busch) and will go back sometime for sure anyway if I ever have a family. Also, I have done BGE while we were in Williamsburg, so these are the two parks in the US I would want to do most. SFNE was on my list, but their only big draw seems to be superman.

Hmmm, I love amusement/themeparks but if you are traveling I would also take into consideration on what else is out there.

I am sure you will have a blast at either park, but consider what you can do besides the park at CP(basically nothing) or SFGADV where you are close to some of the greatest cities(NYC, Washington, Philadeplhia)

Would be a shame to travel halfway thru the country just for an amusement park and see nothing else

Just my two cents

Sorry, that was funny to me

I would go to Cedar Point. Six Flags Great Adventure has something amazing rides (El Toro is my #1 wood, Nitro is possibly my favorite B&M) but that is about it.

Cedar Point has an amazing atmosphere that is hard to top. Right on lake Erie, it's a beautiful park that is well run with friendly staff. It has a ton of great attractions other than just coasters. The food is pretty good (better than SF, for sure), there are some decent shows, and there is the whole "activity" area "outside?" the park by Magie, where they have go-carts, minigolf, etc.

Honestly, I don't think there are many experiences that can top staying in Hotel Breaker and having the 'Point as your playground for a day/couple of days. (I went to the ACE coaster con at CP in 04, it was easily the best vacation of my life)

On top of all that, you have some amazing coasters. I'll admit, Great Adventure's El Toro is better than anything at the Point (I have yet to ride Maverick), but just about everything else at the Point is better. Millennium Force and Nitro I guess could be a wash, but the first drop of Millie is simply amazing. It's a great ride.

I prefer Top Thrill Dragster to Kingda Ka. Its basically the same ride, but the theming/experience is SOOO much stronger with Top Thrill.

From this point, Cedar Point pulls away from Great Adventure.

Raptor is one of B&M's finest inverts, much better than Batman: The Ride. Mantis, while not the best coaster, is still a fun B&M stand-up.

Maverick, from what I have heard, is an amazing ride, filled with speed, airtime, a great launch and layout. I would say this ride is matched up with Medusa. Clearly, Maverick is far superior ride.

Blue Streak is a classic wooden coaster that gives fairly good airtime. Rolling Thunder is a pile of kindling compared to Blue Streak.

Mean Streak... sucks. period.

Wicked Twister is fun, nothing all that great, but fun.

Magnum XL-200 is an awesome coaster. It is classic arrow that boast some amazing airtime. There are some who think it can be painful, but I am not one of them.

Gemini is another classic that is just pure fun.

Then you have the rest of the stuff (Mine Train, kiddies, Disaster Transport, Wildcat, etc).

So, for Great Adventure you have

3 Great coasters (El Toro, Kinda Ka, Nitro)

3 Fine Coasters (Medusa, B:TR, S:UE)

7 "meh" coasters

Cedar Point has

5 Great Coasters (Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Maverick, Magnum XL-200, Raptor)

5 Fine Coasters (Mantis, Gemini, Iron Dragon, Blue Streak, Wicked Twister)

7 "meh" coasters

Clearly, CP has the edge. Also, factor in the history. Cedar Point has a TON TON TON of history. It's one of the oldest parks in the country.

It has a ton of history in respect to rides and coasters:The first 200' ft hyper coaster (Maggie), the first 300' Gigacoaster (Millennium), the first 400' ft stratacoaster (TTD). Corkscrew was one of the first Arrow "corkscrew" coasters, and is a very photogenic ride, right in the middle of the park (or what used to be it).

As I mentioned before, Blue Streak is a classic woodie that (I believe) is an ACE historic classic.

In my opinion, if you want to ride 1 or 2 amazing coasters with a ton of airtime, and nothing else, well... you could still go to the Point... errrrr.

OK. Great Adventure has 2 amazing coasters.... Cedar Point has that and everything else. It's a complete park, the best "Amusement" park in the world.

Another small note, if you're planning on staying on property at Cedar Point all resort guests get one hour early entry to the park. That would be a huge boost to your ride count.

Also, I forgot to add, King's Island is 4 hours South of Cedar Point. Morey's Pier is about 2 hours South of Great Adventure.

Kings Island is also a fantastic park. You would get to ride Diamondback, which is getting reviews to be at least as good as Nitro/Behemoth, if not better. The Beast is a great terrain wooden (some don't think so, but I do) with a ton of history and one of the greatest ending of any coaster. SOB is, well, at least the tallest wooden coaster. There are plenty of great coasters there.

Morey's Pier I have never been to, but I do know that the park/pier can't compare to Kings Island. Morey's doesn't really have any great coasters. Great White is supposed to be a decent/average woodie, and well, then the rest are just credits. Kings Island has some real world class coasters.

If you go to CP/KI, you can get up to 31 credits (including some of the worlds best). If you go to SFGADV/Morey's Pier, you can get up to 19 credits.

Go to CP/KI. You won't regret it.

Thanks guys, its still like a year away, but I thought I would as now so I dont forget to ask. Thanks for your comments. I am going to sound so mean for saying this, but best case scenario is if my dad does not want to go and I go on a summer TPR trip. He is doing this to be nice(which is awesome) but he hates crowds, and he likes rides, but will not endure long lines like I will. A TPR trip may be a third option to this list wehen they are announced.

Do a TPR trip! CP & GADV are both great parks but TPR trips are AMAZING & addicting. You get to meet awesome people & Ert is great. I've done Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II & East Coast last year & it was worth every penny. I'm also on West Coast this year & I can't wait

IMO

KK > TTD

El Toro >Mean/Blue Streak

B:TR < Raptor

Runaway Mine Train > Cedar Creek

Bizzaro > Mantis

The rest are too CP because theres no comparrison, Literly.

Again, IMO, GOTO SFGADV

Cedar Points cool and all, but Gadv has...Trees, and dare I say it...GRASS!!!!

Oh and

Just my two cents

Sorry, that was funny to me

Thats really fudging funny...

People like you annoy me....

CP is a no brainer to me. Especially if you have never been. First off I believe CP coasters are overwhelmingly better, except for EL Toro. Nobody can dispute that. Otherwise CP has the edge in everything else. You can compare the coasters all you want but then add the flat rides. CP destroys GADV and MM in that category. Then add the fact the CP is right on Lake Erie. Scenery edge, CP. Finally, KI is only 4 hrs away. Another edge to CP. I like SFADV but if you can only go to one, Cedar Point is a no brainer.

GADV is to burgers as Cedar point is to steak!

First off I believe CP coasters are overwhelmingly better, except for EL Toro. Nobody can dispute that.

While I can't dispute that you think that they are better, I don't like nearly any ride at Cedar Point, so while I've not been to Great Adventure, I'd point to it anyway.

I think there is a simple test to figure out which one to go to, and if you'll enjoy CP or not...

If you like your rides tall and fast, CP is the way to go. Until Maverick they built their rides to be able to claim them as the tallest and fastest rides of their type in the world. Raptor, Mantis, Magnum, Millenium, Dragster, Twister and Mean Streak all held some sort of height and / or speed record when they came out. It's simply a height / speed showcase, and if that is what you want it still probably remains the best park to get it.

If you like rides that are more compact with more quick elements one after another, Cedar Point simply won't satisfy you much.

CP for several reasons:

Early ERT for Hotel guests for several rides including Maverick and MF

Probably the most ride ops per coaster of any park and the best/smoothest/fastest ride ops. You can almost set your watch by Magnum XL200 - 1 train goes up the chain every minute. (It seems like 1 train goes up Nitro's chain every 5 minutes and 1 up el Toro's every 4) That also means faster moving ride lines!

Coasters by day - beach volleyball by night!

However, if you do decide to go to SFGAdv, I'd highly suggest Dorney Park rather than Moreys (its about an hour for SFGAdv. It has a very nice collection of coasters including Steel Force and Talon. It also has the advantage of being one price for both the waterpark and the theme park. So if it gets too hot, or its raining, you can go to the waterpark!