TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pibb Xtra

Mechanic

Ok, first of all, I'm a Pepsi guy. (I can almost hear the Coke lovers hissing their disapproval.) Anyhow, we happen to be out of Pepsi at the moment, so I grabbed a Pibb Xtra from a 12 pack in the fridge. Wow, this stuff is BAD. I'm not sure what the "Xtra" they added was, but I'm guessing it might be untreated sewage. If you're curious about how foul a soda can taste, then by all means, try Pibb Xtra. Just don't say you weren't warned.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Pibb is like Dr. Pepper. I have no real issues with Mr. Pibb. It's not my favorite, but it will do in a pinch. What I'm talking about is a different product called, "Pibb Xtra". If you've never tried it, consider yourself lucky.

Pibb Xtra is basically Mr. Pibb, just under a different name (source from Wikipedia). I hope this clears things up.

From said article:

Mr. Pibb was introduced in June 1972 to compete against Dr Pepper[1], had a less widespread blend of flavors, but appealed to many due to its sweeter taste.[citation needed] The original test markets for Mr. Pibb in 1972 were located in Waco, Texas[2] (original "home" of Dr Pepper) and Mississippi.[citation needed]

In 2001, a new flavor called Pibb Xtra has 23 flavors and was introduced with added cinnamon flavor,[3] replacing the original flavor in many parts of the US.

It seems to me that it was much more recently than 2001 that original Mr. Pibb disappeared, but we all know the accuracy of the wiki is beyond reproach.

In any event, this soda that I partially consumed didn't taste like the Mr. Pibb I remember. Well, it did, but there was definitely something "Xtra" that didn't agree with my taste buds. Perhaps I simply got a bad can of soda? Who knows? I'm not going to be trying any more of them to find out. Besides, there's Pepsi back in the fridge now, so all is well. * Cracks open an ice cold pepsi and takes a sip.. * Ah... Soda bliss!

Mr. Pibb/Pibb Xtra or whatever, I like it and it's like 99% the flavor or Dr. Pepper. Don't care what the difference is and either you love it or hate it.

As for terrible sodas... I nominate Pepsi Twist/NFL Kickoff, lemon and regular soda don't mix.

Mr. Pibb/Pibb Xtra or whatever, I like it and it's like 99% the flavor or Dr. Pepper. Don't care what the difference is and either you love it or hate it.

As for terrible sodas... I nominate Pepsi Twist/NFL Kickoff, lemon and regular soda don't mix.

I love Pepsi Twist!

Is there anywhere you can find Mr. Pibb in Canada? We only have Dr. Pepper here from what I've seen.

Have you tried Dr. Pepper Berries and Cream? Nasty!

In the LA/OC market you can't even buy Pibb in cans or 2 liter bottles. It's only available as a fountain beverage at fast-food restaurants.

When I lived up north near San Francisco I use to be able to get the original Mr Pibb in cans, but that was long ago.

Sorry I have never been a Pibb drinker (although my cousin would drink by the gallon) By far the worst tasting soda EVAR in the history of sode was Pepsi Blue...... Luckily our Pepsi rep brought some samples into the store so what I tried was free. Pepsi Clear wasn't much better, but at least you couldn't see what you were tasting.

I really like Pibb Extra but it does just not have that taste of Dr Pepper. Maybe it's me but I like Pepsi products for some reason.

Also I may be stepping on some people toes here but if there ever was a soda that tasted horrible it is Vault! I mean it is just tastes like cardboard to me and I hate the aftertaste, it just is not very good.

^^ Pepsi Blue tasted like carbonated Jell-O mix to me, downright the most horrible drink I've ever had the chance to drink. I remember my mom got some of the bottled stuff for free from some promotion and it was the nastiest stuff I've ever laid my hands on.

I wish this forum had a barf smiley, because the butt one doesn't do it justice.

Pibb Xtra tastes exactly the same as Mr.Pibb to me. I never knew they changed the formula or added anything. I just thought they changed the name. Ive always enjoyed Mr. Pibb or Pibb Xtra and it has always tasted better then Dr. Pepper.

Yep, I have to agree! I have always been a fan of this drink! Dr. Pepper to me is flat! Just like Pepsi, flat! Pibb has a kick to it! I like DP and Pepsi, but Coke products seem to have more of a carbonation kick and they are my preference!