TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Knotts Berry Farm Commercials

Perilous Plunge is counted as a coaster, making it the 10th they are referring to in the ads. The park classifies it as such because of it's chain lift and that it's course is entirely track, upstop wheels and all.

It is not entirely tracked because it does have a portion that is just the flume where it floats around. It goes off the track at that point, but i guess if you consider the flume still part of the track then i guess it does classify as a coaster. That would make it the tenth coaster..... I guess.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total lie. The entire Mine Ride is powered. The operator does more than control the brakes.

This looks like a job for Electerik!

The trains have electric motors, but they're only used to go from Unload to Load, to get the train rolling from Load, and to get the train up the small uphill section just past the stalactite caverns. The rest of the way, the operator pretty much rides the brake.

Theoretically, the operator could power the train through most of the ride, but it would be pointless and possibly unsafe (as it would cause the train to go entirely too fast through several areas that normally require heavy braking to maintain the approved ride pace).

LMAO- If Disney does not consider test track a roller coaster, than plunge definitely is not a coaster, no question.

From Disneyworld.com

The Test Track attraction is a 5-minute, high-octane thrill ride that takes Guests through a series of vehicle prototype tests on what is one of Disney's longest, fastest rides. Hold on tight as the cars reach 60 miles per hour on 50-degree banked curves!

LMAO- If Disney does not consider test track a roller coaster, than plunge definitely is not a coaster, no question.

Test Track is powered throughout the entire ride. It's dark ride mechanics that happen to be able go fast.

I wouldn't count Plunge as a coaster, but it does ride on coaster style track and uses gravity to actually roll and coast. Test Track doesn't really do any of those things.

Test Track is powered throughout the entire ride. It's dark ride mechanics that happen to be able go fast.

I wouldn't count Plunge as a coaster, but it does ride on coaster style track and uses gravity to actually roll and coast. Test Track doesn't really do any of those things.

Yeah, but if I count Test Track and everything that's more coaster-like than Test Track, my coaster count shoots up to about 1300!

/No, I didn't count.

//Seriously, rapids rides are more "coaster-like."

Total lie. The entire Mine Ride is powered. The operator does more than control the brakes.

This looks like a job for Electerik!

The trains have electric motors, but they're only used to go from Unload to Load, to get the train rolling from Load, and to get the train up the small uphill section just past the stalactite caverns. The rest of the way, the operator pretty much rides the brake.

Theoretically, the operator could power the train through most of the ride, but it would be pointless and possibly unsafe (as it would cause the train to go entirely too fast through several areas that normally require heavy braking to maintain the approved ride pace).

Wrong. I work at Knott's and have been on Mine Ride more times than I could count. More than that, I have many friends who work on it and have taught me about it. The entire thing is powered. It uses an old gear system to operate. Next time you go to Knott's, ask the operatros, for you will find they do more than just "coast with the brakes."

Perilous Plunge is counted as a coaster, making it the 10th they are referring to in the ads. The park classifies it as such because of it's chain lift and that it's course is entirely track, upstop wheels and all.

It is not entirely tracked because it does have a portion that is just the flume where it floats around. It goes off the track at that point, but i guess if you consider the flume still part of the track then i guess it does classify as a coaster. That would make it the tenth coaster..... I guess.

Yes but so do the Journey to Atlantis coasters at SeaWorld and they are still counted as coasters.

Wrong. I work at Knott's and have been on Mine Ride more times than I could count. More than that, I have many friends who work on it and have taught me about it. The entire thing is powered. It uses an old gear system to operate. Next time you go to Knott's, ask the operatros, for you will find they do more than just "coast with the brakes."

You sure are quick to make bold pronouncements. But if you'll kindly read my post, you'll see that I never claimed that all the operator does is brake. In fact, I took great pains to explain how the trains are powered and exactly when that power is applied.

But I suppose there's no way I could possibly compete with your mighty second-hand knowledge--unless of course I had worked Calico Mine Ride myself, personally, for years.

/Tell me more about how wrong I am. Please.

Somewhere Jeff Johnson is sitting, looking at this having the opposite discussion. "How does Knotts only have 10 credits? I've gotten 37 credits there myself!"

You know, I can see how someone as old and non-discriminating as Mr. Mailman could conceivably count 11 credits just on that one small plot of land in the far back right corner of the park!

Motor Cycle Chase - 4

Wacky Soap Box Racers - 4

Windjammer - 2

Xcelerator - 1

/Old enough myself.

//Only count 4 total out of that, though.

You sure are quick to make bold pronouncements. But if you'll kindly read my post, you'll see that I never claimed that all the operator does is brake. In fact, I took great pains to explain how the trains are powered and exactly when that power is applied.

But I suppose there's no way I could possibly compete with your mighty second-hand knowledge--unless of course I had worked Calico Mine Ride myself, personally, for years.

/Tell me more about how wrong I am. Please.

I just reread the post, and again, am sitting behind my statement. I may not know the ride (I might be learning it very soon), but at least the way they've operated it everytime I'm on it, they do use the power from load, to the lift, to unload. Sometimes they throw it in neutral, but most of the time, they're actually running power through it. And yes, I have heard that they've derailed a few trains.

I'm sure you could go into the technical aspects of where my statements might actually ad up to yours, but lets just agree to disagree at the moment. Once I learn it, then I can get back to you on certain things, for they may do things a little different than when you worked on it.

I know I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't, I know I shouldn't....

I'm sure you could go into the technical aspects of where my statements might actually ad up to yours, but lets just agree to disagree at the moment. Once I learn it, then I can get back to you on certain things, for they may do things a little different than when you worked on it.

"Agree to disagree"?? Fine, we'll agree to disagree on whether or not you have any idea what you're talking about.

Clearly, things have changed at Mine Ride. Because when I worked there, they wouldn't let just anyone learn it. And they certainly wouldn't have run the ride in a manner that would cause trains to derail.

/*sigh*