TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hong Kong Disneyland (HKDL) Discussion Thread

I hope to get back to Hong Kong someday. Maybe after Shanghai opens and visit both parks!

I am currently planning on going to HKDL and SHDL the year the park opens. Probably several months after.

I'm in!

I know it's a rather long ways away (8 years), but my long term plan for 2023 (eep I'll be 70!), is to hit Shanghai Disneyland first, follow with Hong Kong Disneyland, and then fly from Hong Kong to Tokyo and finish with Tokyo Disneyland Resort.

After that many years, Shangahi will have (hopefully) settled in, with maybe a couple of new attractions added by then, Hong Kong will have grown more after Iron Man is open, and possible other attraction(s) in by then, and then TDLR will have (hopefully) finished with all it's renovating (Fantasyland) and new attractions (Arendelle) as well.

(The third HKDL hotel plans and art concepts look very nice, too.)

The new hotel looks great, always like this style of resort. Hopefully the park isn't too far off some sort of Downtown Disney-type development as well. After staying at their Hollywood Hotel last year, there is really not a lot to do around the resort once the park closes, and it's a long shuttle bus, then train ride into central Hong Kong.

^Why has no one thought of this before?

I do like the food at HDK--the dim sum in Fantasyland was particularly good (and a welcome change from standard theme-park food).

The new hotel looks great, always like this style of resort. Hopefully the park isn't too far off some sort of Downtown Disney-type development as well. After staying at their Hollywood Hotel last year, there is really not a lot to do around the resort once the park closes, and it's a long shuttle bus, then train ride into central Hong Kong.

Bang on - with the park being a primarily one day experience, I'm incredibly impressed that they're getting 90+% occupancy. Of course, having great seasonal entertainment and the recent major attraction additions had to have helped.

They certainly have the land on the master plan to follow through on an Anaheim style layout, and hopefully with 750 more hotel rooms coming online, a Downtown Disney (or "Disney Town" now?) is queued up soon.

And the new hotel definitely becomes the first one I want to stay at... assuming they pry me away from my usual places in TST.

• 2 weeks later...

And from the "I LOVE IT!" Dept...

hkmsg_twams154_01.JPG.75442973303073e36ae87e7c666fdecb.JPG

How to fix a castle and "show a castle" at the same time! Has this

ever been done for other Disney park castles? I can't remember...

chineseNewYear2015pin.png.d04cdf97e1674f200cbe6ef5cfd5d921.png

One of the new pins for Chinese New Year. (o:

And new photos of current Iron Man show bldg. construction, from Screamscape...

IronMan11.jpg.896fdc599f47c063b736f8371e1d7607.jpg

Looks interesting from this side, too.

IronMan21.jpg.a8664c31aff585aacf4099d9ea7379c9.jpg

There is word also, that the railroad around the park, is going to run again, soon.

IronManExperienceLocationHKDL2013.jpg.024361e655d51295696ffdcadb56b156.jpg

A reminder of where it's going.

^ I was thinking, it might actually be a rather rare photo, once it all comes down.

And it would fun to photoshop the edges off of it, and see if friends figure it out.

I find Disney really unique in actually trying to "hide in plain sight" the scaffolding

that is part of these renovations. Not always. But most times, it's pretty cool.

EDIT to add: And this is what the heads at sfMM should be thinking, in Finally

painting that *^%#!@^&(( asphalt parking lot w/lines below Scream! Yes? No?

Scaffolding-Replica01j.jpg.3aca443a0b4f559d47fbabd04725749a.jpg

With the edges "erased," this might be a fun shot too. Taken at DLPR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some souvenirs/clothing and food from this past New Years Celebration...

HKDL-CNY2015a.jpg.13446e8c822c676ad081dd8896312c61.jpg

And I like red! The candy boxes look good, too. (o;

HKDL-CNY2015b.jpg.7e99b21df1277b4b041a234b8c399a15.jpg

Yum! So much to choose from! (Photos are from the HKDL Main Street Gazette, thank you.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm going to move this here because it's more appropriate.

Hong Kong Disneyland always seemed kind of off to me. It seems like disney just recreated NO, added a few rides, and opened it. Except for Grizzly Mountain, it doesn't really have anything unique or original.

Have you seen Mystic Manor?