TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Music, Music, Music

Wes

^Actually the only Public Enemy song I liked (which is one of the few rap songs) was "Fight The Power".

That was the jam. I was "Running Man" all over the place. The dancers doing the military moves in the video was hot. My roommate was looking at me crazy three weeks ago when a clip of the video came on VH1. I traded in my "Running Man" for a little light bucking while grabbing the dining room table. I was working it out.

Most of their songs had a political, if not radical, message which beat a lot of the rappers during that time "talking about nothing" or dissing another person. That's the only thing I give them though.

Terry

Yeah, same here. Top ### Lists are usually just good to remind me of certain songs I had forgotten about and need to buy in iTunes. But with some obvious cringe-worthy exceptions, I thought they did a decent job of putting together a cross section of some of the more significant songs in hip hop history. And yes, PE at #1 was certainly a bonus. I honestly didn't expect to see that, although I'm definitely not questioning it.

I agree with you and Wes. This list was a little dissapointed. I don't get how you can only have one track from Paid in Full, when just about everyone recognizes it as the best hip-hop album ever? Some of these selections (PM Dawn, Lil Jon, Mase) shouldn't even be close to being on here. They are pop. I thought they did Pete Rock and CL Smooth a major disservice with placing They Remnisce Over You at number 90. I've always loved that track and thinks it should at least be top 25.

Overall it was ok, but they sometimes put the wrong song down. Big Daddy Kane's I Get The Job Done over Ain't No Half Steppin? Run DMC's It's Like That instead of King Of Rock? Heavy D's Now That We Found Love instead of Don't Curse or Blue Funk? Where the hell is Marley Marl's The Symphony with Craig G, Masta Ace, Big Daddy Kane, and Kool G Rap?

Ok end rant, sorry I realize that these lists are usually done up by top 40 DJ's and go by airplay.

And fans of the Greats, Such as:

- Iron Maiden

- Metallica

- Megadeth

- Guns 'N' Roses

- Aerosmtih

- Black Sabbath

- 30 Seconds To Mars

- And my Personal Favourite - Avenged Sevenfold

I don't know why but that list is just like my favorite list, only its missing Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Slipknot, and Disturbed. Everyone who knows me knows that I like about all heavy metal music, but when I bring up Slipknot and A7X, they ask why? Then some would say that they are nothing compared to they Heavy Metal Gods. But IMO they are Gods of metal also. So keep on listening to A7X KPWoCkAxX.

--Chris

Ummm..... You're like my new best friend......

I've got nothing against anyones taste in music. I have no right to change what people think, If you want to like rap and hip-hop and what not go for it! Oh and someone asked why I hate Bruce Springsteen as a person, I don't what I typed came out worng, I've got nothing against the guy i'm sure he's very nice I just don't like his music. Sorry for any confusion.....

Another point was made..... I'm not trying to fit in with the so called 'Cool' people. It dosen't work like that. I'm not trying to copy anyone, as I've already said everyone has their own taste in music mine just happens to be similar to other peoples.

I do love A7X though.... I've seen them live aswell as Iron Maiden, Within Temptation and Lauren Harris. <--- She's not that good.

That's just my opinion.......

I agree with you and Wes. This list was a little dissapointed. I don't get how you can only have one track from Paid in Full, when just about everyone recognizes it as the best hip-hop album ever? Some of these selections (PM Dawn, Lil Jon, Mase) shouldn't even be close to being on here. They are pop. I thought they did Pete Rock and CL Smooth a major disservice with placing They Remnisce Over You at number 90. I've always loved that track and thinks it should at least be top 25.

Overall it was ok, but they sometimes put the wrong song down. Big Daddy Kane's I Get The Job Done over Ain't No Half Steppin? Run DMC's It's Like That instead of King Of Rock? Heavy D's Now That We Found Love instead of Don't Curse or Blue Funk? Where the hell is Marley Marl's The Symphony with Craig G, Masta Ace, Big Daddy Kane, and Kool G Rap?

Ok end rant, sorry I realize that these lists are usually done up by top 40 DJ's and go by airplay.

I think the fact the list is "Most Important" and not "Best" is sort of their way of being populist and picking the well known song instead of the artist's best work. It lets them get away with putting the Run DMC/Aerosmith "Walk This Way" super high up even though the actual song is pretty mediocre.

But again...that's why I hate lists like this, unless every single song is accompanied by a longer piece highlighting it's actual artistic merit and reason for ranking, it all becomes very subjective.

I think the fact the list is "Most Important" and not "Best" is sort of their way of being populist and picking the well known song instead of the artist's best work. It lets them get away with putting the Run DMC/Aerosmith "Walk This Way" super high up even though the actual song is pretty mediocre.

But again...that's why I hate lists like this, unless every single song is accompanied by a longer piece highlighting it's actual artistic merit and reason for ranking, it all becomes very subjective.

Yeah I am not a fan of lists like this either. But if it was most important, they missed the boat completely on the Heavy D track. Don't Curse was basically a big middle finger to censorship. It was aimed at placing the parental advisory stickers on CD's and tapes. I do think they got it right with P.E. number 1. They probably should have placed Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos on here too.

any Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce fans in the house?????

Oh yes. One of my favorite musicians of all time. Saw him in concert last March in Columbus. It was fantastic.

Anyone like to listen to Rush? I do there awsome.

I love Rush. I would say they are definitely my favorite band. Still haven't seen them live, but hopefully I will soon.

• 2 weeks later...

My tastes are probably not appreciated here..... oh well

Grind/death core: just about everything and anything under both Ferret records and Razorgrind. I was lucky to see See You Next Tuesday when they last came through and I'm itching to see The Number 12 Looks Like You very soon.

Indie: Beirut, the Postal Service, The Stars, and alot more.

Techno: I have to admit I have a small obsession with Euro house (DatA, Boyz Noise, Digitalism, etc) I use to be a trance junkie, but that only led down to dark times, late nights and unsterilized "fun".

Electronica: Different than techno, and if you can't tell the difference, go to hell, I don't care. I Am Robot and Proud has becoming more and more prevalent on my playlists recently along with Dntel, sooo chill. Check out Ratatat, great music for when you're zoning.

Under ground rap: People under the stairs, heiroglyphics, atmosphere (kinda), aesop rock, Grayskul, a little JMT here and there, MF Doom, Dr. Octogon, Jaylib, P.O.S., dangerdoom, Deltron, Dr. Dooom. Basically half of rhymsayers and bay area styles.

My tastes are probably not appreciated here..... oh well

Techno: I have to admit I have a small obsession with Euro house (DatA, Boyz Noise, Digitalism, etc) I use to be a trance junkie, but that only led down to dark times, late nights and unsterilized "fun".

Electronica: Different than techno, and if you can't tell the difference, go to hell, I don't care. I Am Robot and Proud has becoming more and more prevalent on my playlists recently along with Dntel, sooo chill. Check out Ratatat, great music for when you're zoning.

I agree with your tastes. I really like house (as you can see in my avatar) and French Disco. Electronica too. Ratatat is awesome.

I actually really like it a lot. Personally, I would put it up there with Knockin' On Heaven's Door as my favorite GNR song. The guitar simply just shreds throughout the entire song.

---Brent

EDIT: Anybody that loves ska as much as me, I love them just as equally. You freaking pwn Homer.

Ska = Greatest thing in the world. What are some people's favorite ska/skacore bands? Mine would have to be:

-Streetlight Manifesto

-Reel Big Fish

-Less Than Jake

-Suburban Legends

-Starpool

-The Aquabats

-Mustard Plug

-Save Ferris

-Five Iron Frenzy

-Fishbone

-The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

-Big D And The Kids Table

-The Specials

-Buck-O-Nine

-And many more that I'm too lazy to list!

---Brent