TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

I'd love to see some kind of Mack Launched Coaster if that were to be the case. Or floorless.

For flats I'd love love love to see a Giant Frisbee or Top Spin but both are unlikely. An

For small scale thrilling flats I'd love to see a spinout or brainsurge but I feel those are mostly fair rides.

Family rides, anything. Troika comes to mind.

Wishlist?

I'd love to see some kind of Mack Launched Coaster if that were to be the case. Or floorless.

For flats I'd love love love to see a Giant Frisbee or Top Spin but both are unlikely. An

For small scale thrilling flats I'd love to see a spinout or brainsurge but I feel those are mostly fair rides.

Wishlist?

I agree, launch coaster. I know CF will never give us a Giga, but why did they give us a hyper? Being from Nebraska I want to go on a giga someday but there's nowhere close except for WOF.

What I mostly want is for CF to stop neglecting it's smaller parks. I am not asking for 250+ ride, I just want something nice more often than every 7 years. NOTHING new since 2009 at WOF except for a lousy broken hand-me-down windseeker.

Wishlist?

I agree, launch coaster. I know CF will never give us a Giga, but why did they give us a hyper? Being from Nebraska I want to go on a giga someday but there's nowhere close except for WOF.

What I mostly want is for CF to stop neglecting it's smaller parks. I am not asking for 250+ ride, I just want something nice more often than every 7 years. NOTHING new since 2009 at WOF except for a lousy broken hand-me-down windseeker.

The GM for the park stated in their meeting they had earlier this week (possibly just a QandA thing) that he would like to see a launched coaster, so that is in the realm of possibilities for the future, will that happen now, doubtful. I could see them putting a giga in at WoF at some point in the future. It needs something to differentiate itself from the other parks in the region, and it is also Cedar Fairs only park in the immediate region as well. Do I see it happening...I'm iffy on that, on the one hand, I can see them doing some big things to the park to try and drive attendance and to differentiate it from its regional competitors, at the same time, it may not have the level of attendance they want for something like that.

Wishlist?

It's probably not likely that they will get a Top Spin since they already have one.

A Top Scan would of course be cool, as would an Air Race, a Giant Frisbee or a large Screamin Swing. The park has enough older flats and I'd love to see something modern. Hearing that Cedar Fair was scouring Europe for classic flats, I'm not sure a modern flat ride is in Worlds of Fun's near future.

And of course cedar point is getting one this year.

Yes, Cedar Point will continue to get new rides because it makes a ton of money.

What I mostly want is for CF to stop neglecting it's smaller parks.

Yeah, real neglectful of Cedar Fair to keep investing into the park.

2006: Patriot opens as the longest, tallest, and fastest full-circuit inverted roller coaster in the region. It was the park's largest capital investment on a single attraction at $14 million.

2008: For their 35th anniversary, Worlds of Fun added a festival called Oktoberfest.

2009: A new wooden coaster, Prowler, is added to the Africa section of the park. It receives the Golden Ticket Award for "Best New Ride of 2009" by Amusement Today magazine.

2010: Snoopy's Hot Summer Lights, a $1 million immersive light and sound experience, opens in the Europa and Africa sections of the park. Subway opens at Oceans of Fun.

2011: Planet Snoopy, an $8-million children's themed area, is added to Worlds of Fun featuring over 20 rides and attractions. An Illions carousel called The Grand Carousel is added to the Scandinavia section of the park.

2012: A premium line queue system called "Fast Lane" is introduced.

2013: Oceans of Fun receives full integration with Worlds of Fun sharing one admission for both parks.

2014: WindSeeker – a 301-foot (92 m) Mondial swing ride at Knott's Berry Farm – was renamed SteelHawk and relocated to Worlds of Fun for the 2014 season.

I'll just leave this here...

20694136466_bdfca535ef_o.png

It's interesting the Worlds of Fun brings in slightly less than Carowinds, but Cedar Fair is investing so much into Carowinds. Someone another time said something about how Carowinds has a larger potential market and WoF has to compete with Six Flags St. Louis and Silver Dollar City. I personally think, that as Cedar Fair's only park between Ohio and California, Cedar Fair would invest more into Worlds of Fun to differentiate it from its regional competitors.

I wish people would realize that with the way CF is run no park is neglected. If Worlds of Fun doesn't make enough money for a coaster, they don't get a coaster. If Cedar Point doesn't make enough money for a coaster, they don't get a coaster either. The only difference between the two is that one park makes WAY more money than the other because it has slowly grown to that size overtime.

Yes, Cedar Point will continue to get new rides because it makes a ton of money.

2006: Patriot opens as the longest, tallest, and fastest full-circuit inverted roller coaster in the region. It was the park's largest capital investment on a single attraction at $14 million.

2008: For their 35th anniversary, Worlds of Fun added a festival called Oktoberfest.

2009: A new wooden coaster, Prowler, is added to the Africa section of the park. It receives the Golden Ticket Award for "Best New Ride of 2009" by Amusement Today magazine.

2010: Snoopy's Hot Summer Lights, a $1 million immersive light and sound experience, opens in the Europa and Africa sections of the park. Subway opens at Oceans of Fun.

2011: Planet Snoopy, an $8-million children's themed area, is added to Worlds of Fun featuring over 20 rides and attractions. An Illions carousel called The Grand Carousel is added to the Scandinavia section of the park.

2013: Oceans of Fun receives full integration with Worlds of Fun sharing one admission for both parks.

2014: WindSeeker – a 301-foot (92 m) Mondial swing ride at Knott's Berry Farm – was renamed SteelHawk and relocated to Worlds of Fun for the 2014 season.

I'm sorry. That was not very well thought out by me and I was just a bit disappointed about what's been happening the last few years. It was more of a rant than it was anything.

The issue is that with Worlds of Fun, after Cedar Fair took over, (If i'm not mistaken) Worlds of Fun suffered several years of attendance decline. The first time the park had a year under 1 million visitors was after Cedar Fair bought the park, since taking over the park, they've removed all of the coasters that existed prior to their buyout, except Timberwolf. A lot of people were upset about that and to this day do not forgive them for it. So you may see it as "bad business" but a lot of loyal WoF visitors aren't forgiving the loss of Orient Express, Zambezi Zinger, closing the original main gate...just to name just a few things. In the end, business is important, but when Worlds of Fun is bringing in nearly as much as Carowinds, according to the pie chart, and Carowinds received a giga coaster, it should be understandable that some of us are a bit upset that we haven't seen big investments since 2009.

I don't know how the WoF locals feel but I think their next big coaster should be a dive machine. Something maybe longer than Krake or Baron 1898 but shorter than Sheikra/Griffon. I was looking at a POV of Baron today and it looks fun as hell.

Wishlist?

It's probably not likely that they will get a Top Spin since they already have one.

A Top Scan would of course be cool, as would an Air Race, a Giant Frisbee or a large Screamin Swing. The park has enough older flats and I'd love to see something modern. Hearing that Cedar Fair was scouring Europe for classic flats, I'm not sure a modern flat ride is in Worlds of Fun's near future.

SORRY I mean't to write 'scan'!

I do agree that a modern rides don't seem likely, which is why I put them on a 'wishlist.' I do think WOF could benefit greatly from some flats that are bigger and that should help hold off for another rollercoaster, because it seems like we wont be getting one soon as sad as it sounds. Coming from Kings Island being my home park and before that CP and then SFGA, I'm begging for something new. However I understand the circumstances.

I guess I wouldn't mind a dive. We don't have a vertical drop. I would love an Inverted Impulse too, with a more modern twist, but alas.

I really do wish we had an introductory looper at the park too (thats not as forceful as the V boomerang) I know Patriot in most of our eyes is tame- but I feel we need something for some newcomers to experience before they get on something 'bigger.' Some people cant just hop on a B&M invert for their first looper weather its a nerves thing or a height thing. One of the reasons why I loved the mid size arrow loopers (minus the head banging).

In the end, business is important, but when Worlds of Fun is bringing in nearly as much as Carowinds, according to the pie chart, and Carowinds received a giga coaster, it should be understandable that some of us are a bit upset that we haven't seen big investments since 2009.

Compare the markets and you'll see why CF is investing in Carowinds. The Charlotte area has a greater population and one of the fastest growth rate for cities in the US. Not to mention, the Raleigh-Durham area is only a couple of hours away and also has one of the fastest rates as well. Outside of KC, where is WoF going to draw its visitors?

I wish people would realize that with the way CF is run no park is neglected. If Worlds of Fun doesn't make enough money for a coaster, they don't get a coaster. If Cedar Point doesn't make enough money for a coaster, they don't get a coaster either. The only difference between the two is that one park makes WAY more money than the other because it has slowly grown to that size overtime.

Budget for capital expansions comes from CF's pocket, not WoF's. It is a common misconception that all parks spend their revenue on new coasters. Cedar Fair pays for them all.

Wishlist?

The GM for the park stated in their meeting they had earlier this week (possibly just a QandA thing) that he would like to see a launched coaster, so that is in the realm of possibilities for the future, will that happen now, doubtful. I could see them putting a giga in at WoF at some point in the future. It needs something to differentiate itself from the other parks in the region, and it is also Cedar Fairs only park in the immediate region as well. Do I see it happening...I'm iffy on that, on the one hand, I can see them doing some big things to the park to try and drive attendance and to differentiate it from its regional competitors, at the same time, it may not have the level of attendance they want for something like that.

I would also like to add that they were looking at INTAMIN launch coasters, cause B&M costs too much for the park.

In the end, business is important, but when Worlds of Fun is bringing in nearly as much as Carowinds, according to the pie chart, and Carowinds received a giga coaster, it should be understandable that some of us are a bit upset that we haven't seen big investments since 2009.

Compare the markets and you'll see why CF is investing in Carowinds. The Charlotte area has a greater population and one of the fastest growth rate for cities in the US. Not to mention, the Raleigh-Durham area is only a couple of hours away and also has one of the fastest rates as well. Outside of KC, where is WoF going to draw its visitors?

Worlds of Fun pulls visitors from Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Northern Oklahoma, and in some cases, Colorado. You'd be surprised at all of the tags you can see in the parking lot at Worlds of Fun. As I said, it has the potential to draw from St. Louis as well, Six Flags St. louis exists, but if WoF can give people a reason to come there, then that pays off in the end.

The issue is that with Worlds of Fun, after Cedar Fair took over, (If i'm not mistaken) Worlds of Fun suffered several years of attendance decline. The first time the park had a year under 1 million visitors was after Cedar Fair bought the park, since taking over the park, they've removed all of the coasters that existed prior to their buyout, except Timberwolf. A lot of people were upset about that and to this day do not forgive them for it. So you may see it as "bad business" but a lot of loyal WoF visitors aren't forgiving the loss of Orient Express, Zambezi Zinger, closing the original main gate...just to name just a few things. In the end, business is important, but when Worlds of Fun is bringing in nearly as much as Carowinds, according to the pie chart, and Carowinds received a giga coaster, it should be understandable that some of us are a bit upset that we haven't seen big investments since 2009.

If you look a bit closer at the chart, Carowinds brings in roughly 1/3 more than WOF. The Carolina park also has a massive, under-utilized market with a significant potential R.O.I.. Cedar Fair, backed by experienced people with years in the industry, have done their homework and find Carowinds a prime candidate for expansion. If Carowinds didn't have more potential than WOF, then we would be seeing WOF get the $50 million expansion, not the other way around.

Budget for capital expansions comes from CF's pocket, not WoF's. It is a common misconception that all parks spend their revenue on new coasters. Cedar Fair pays for them all.

Actually, it does come from WOF's pockets. Cedar Fair is an amusement park operator, and therefore makes money through its parks. Regardless of who makes the down payment, the park itself does pay off the debt.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Worlds of Fun pulls visitors from Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Northern Oklahoma, and in some cases, Colorado. You'd be surprised at all of the tags you can see in the parking lot at Worlds of Fun. As I said, it has the potential to draw from St. Louis as well, Six Flags St. louis exists, but if WoF can give people a reason to come there, then that pays off in the end.

Yep. I live in Omaha and I visit WOF at least once a year, usually twice, this year 3x. (Well, 2 so far, hoping to visit haunt)