TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Stand Up Coasters

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven't heard of any praticular reason why theyre not being made. I just don't think B&M's been thinking in that direction. Maybe because they're not so innoventive anymore, yet a bit harder to plan? That's just a guess, though. I could be wrong.

As for Intamin, they haven't touched the subject of standup coasters in decades...

And as for TOGO standups... Is TOGO even still in business? I don't remember hearing about a new TOGO ride in ages, standup or otherwise.

But don't worry, it's a fun ride concept. I'm pretty sure a new standup will show it's face sooner or later.

I might be in the minority here, but I love stand-ups. The feeling of your feet flying free while cruising the course. But, the one thing I've always wanted to see was a stand-up water ride. Whether it be flume or anything. I mean imagine the new Pilgrim's Plunge with stand-up boats and going down that drop, that would be intense. Just my thoughts......

I might be in the minority here, but I love stand-ups.

Me too, but I'm a fan of the old Togos (King Cobra, Shockwave, Sky Rider, etc...). The B&Ms are good, I just go for more what I grew up with.

Ok, totally random notion. How about a suspended stand up, ala Alpengeist or Batman? Yes, lots to consider for stresses, g's, design, etc., but a curious idea just the same.

I also like stand-ups, especially B&M's (who still offer them, by the way) but I do agree they seem like a fad. I remember back in the 80s they were all over the media and the public seemed pretty excited by the concept, but perhaps it doesn't seem as unique now so parks simply aren't investing in them. Most roller coaster enthusiasts don't seem too bothered by their demise either...

Well just because a company offers them doesn't mean theyre jumping to build them.

I miss the good stand ups like scorcher or riddler. So don't go throwing a fit. Wolf was their first coaster. It really stunk. Their later ones were great. I don't want more wolves. I want scorchers and riddlers, maybe even a Mantis or 2

I'm gonna go with the majority here and say that it is a concept that has run it's course. Amazing to see the timeless popularity of the invert, the stand-up has faded into the background. I'm sure Manta will be the last flyer, as the novelty of the flyers has worn off, and the price tag remains an issue. With everything on their website, I look for B&M just to sell Inverts and Hypers, unless they decide to prototype or go wood.

I just recently blogged about these forgotten coasters. For the most part I say good riddance. I can't stand Shockwave at Kings Dominion (TOGO) and Mantis was a pretty big disappointment for a B&M. I felt a pretty intense pain in my lower legs for about 2/3 of the ride. On the other hand, I loved Chang at Kentucky Kingdom (believe it or not there is something good about that park). And I just rode Riddler's Revenge a couple weeks ago and it was about equally as good.

Also there have been two notable deaths on TOGO standups that I can remember that don't help their cause. And as someone already mentioned TOGO went out of business so I think we know the fate of those standups.

If there is another new standup it will likely be the Batman The Escape Intamin (from AstroWorld) that's lying dismantled at Darien Lake. I asked the park about it and they said they didn't have any plans for it, but I think we're more likely to see that ride resurrected than a new standup being ordered by a park. I think they've all moved on.

It is a fun fad that has passed. Eventhough Intamin and B&M aren't pushing this design anymore I think if a park really wanted a new one from one of them they would design it...they would still stand to make money on the design so I can't see them turning it down. Will a park want a new one? Don't think so. There are too many other proven coaster designs/fads that are more in demand now. I don't epxpect to see a new standup unless there is some super awesome never before seen element designed into it. But what else could you possibly do with a standup that hasn't already been done to death?

I've had fun on all of the stand-ups I've been on, but it really is just a gimmick. My guess would be that we've seen the end of stand-up coasters, but I'm not sure I would say the same thing about flyers, even though that's pretty much a gimmick too.

^I was shocked to hear about Manta, as I predicted Tatsu was the last flyer. Aside from being a gimmick, which I still think is one, but $20+million for a ride? That's more along the lines of Six Flags buying, and we won't see a major coaster from them at least until 2011, when the chain turns 50. (of course this is just a prediction, don't quote me on it)

People say that Manta will be the last Flyer, but if I'm not mistaken there's another, Non-B&M flyer already planned for some park.

Also, as for the person that said that standups aren't as flexible as sit-downs.... Since when does B&M care about flexibility? Their layouts are all practically the same anyway.

Also, as for the person that said that standups aren't as flexible as sit-downs.... Since when does B&M care about flexibility? Their layouts are all practically the same anyway.

B&M stand-ups do seem to avoid certain elements, such as zero-G rolls and cobra rolls, am not too sure why...perhaps it's a comfort thing? (Intamin is the only company with a stand-up zero-G as far as I know - Drayton Manor's Shockwave, not the most comfortable coaster around...)

I'm a fan of stand ups. It's not the coaster I look forward to the most at a park, but it's more like, "Oh, they have a stand up? Awesome!" It's more of a must ride for me, but not the first thing on the list. At Cedar Point, Mantis something that's on my list above Raptor.

I've never had a bad ride on a stand up, really. I like the restraints, and the layouts I've been one have nice forces and transitions. Mantis, Scorcher, Vortex, and King Cobra. All nice rides...especially Mantis and Scorcher! They both have some pretty insane moments on the ride.

I only got one ride on Scorcher, but it's a really nice ride and I would have gone again if they other guys would have agreed. (Same with Acro!)

-JZ

By flexibility I mean what kinds of elements the ride can perform. Of course B&M cares about that part of the ride.

Standups can't have as strong lateral Gs as sitdown coasters for instance. They have to think about the comfort of the riders more then they would on a sitdown.

Similar idea with the flyers. They tend to shy away from any sort of element which puts strong outward forces on the riders. Meaning most of the elements flyers perform with the riders on their backs. Like the pretzel loops and inside loops. You don't see outside verticle loops on flyers for instance. Probably because it would be far too uncomfortable on the riders.

There are much less physical limitations on a standard sit down train. Which is partly why sit down hypers/mini-hypers, floorless, dive machines, etc will outlive the gimick offerings.