TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hyper coasters Vs. Wooden

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like them both...but of course it depends on the ride.

I would say that Hypercoasters are my favorite type of Steel coasters, simply because I'm not into rides that are inversion after inversion after inversion, etc, etc....

Naturally people who seem to like wooden coasters also seem to like hypers because the are kind of the 'steel equivalent' of woodies, so to speak.

I also like both woodies and hypers that have "Ejector" airtime, not floater air.

So that's why I prefer hypers like Expedition GeForce and S:ROS over hypers like Steel Force and Nitro.

--Robb

Yeah, these "one-trick ponies" are wearing thin. Hypersonic was one of the first and it was a REALLY good trick! All these tall, fast, launched coasters have been that same trick!

Storm Runner is my favorite of the Intamin Launched and it's smaller and slower than most!

Elissa "wishes some more of the Intamin Woodies would be built!" Alvey

I like both, but they're sort of differently ranked for me. I'm a big airtime junkie, like Robb, but I also like a forceful ride, which a lot of coasters just don't seem to provide. For example, I'd take a ride on The Comet at Great Escape over Nitro or Medusa any day, mainly because of the airtime differences. But, I don't really consider Superman: Ride of Steel to have "ejector" airtime, since it's different in that you don't really get banged up into the lapbar, but it's WAY farther out of your seat than any floater airtime, and it's pretty powerful. I call it "abrupt" airtime.

There's just too many differences to compare them, and the ride experiences have a few similarities, but are very different for the most part.

-Paul "I always thought I was the only one who wasn't impressed with Nitro" Bleichert

^ Nah, you're not the only one..I mean, I like Nitro a lot...but I've always thought it was overrated. I like all the Intamin hypers over Nitro, and I even like Raging Bull better than it.

Nitro IMO is better than Apollo or Silver Star, though.

--Robb

I'm another person who likes both.

Pheonix is to wood as Apollo's Chariot is to steel. Both have turn arounds that do nothing for the ride and both have lots of strong airtime, although they have different kinds of air. Apollo has the most floater air out of anything I've been on, while Pheonix has the most ejector air out of anything I've been on.

I would like to ride one of those Intamin woodies, but to me its just not a wooden coaster unless the things shakin and rattlin all over. Even Thunderhead, which is smooth as silk, still has the slams.

The Intamin woodies are nothing more than fully heartlined steel coasters with a wooden facade. However, Balder looks AWESOME and Collosos looks good. I still will prefer my good old CCI and old classic wooden coasters with nice ejector and floater to a steel coaster that does the same.

But I do prefer a ride with airtime and laterals over a ride with inversions and G's.

I dunno on one hand I think that Hypers are a great idea as they are very visible and can bring a lot of money for a park. But ultimately they are all the same sort of ride. I mean are there any left with inversions? Really I enjoy them on the first hill (I'm seriously afraid of heights) but usually the rest of the ride just kinda seems like an anticlimax. (BTW I hated the upwards helix on the Texas Titan... Ugh that thing hurt... Maybe it was the fairly hot humid day...)

Wooden coasters on the other hand seem to find ways to surprise you throughout their layout in many cases. Also the unpredictable nature tends to make them a completely different feel entirely. I love a good wooden coaster and especially the ones that really push the layouts. I love what GCI (I know others don't) is doing now as they are creating an entirely new generation of twisters and those seats are great because they cushion against the occasional jars that people have problems with. I think they are honestly leading the way in a new generation of wooden coasters.

For me, wood needs to be fast, twisted and have a good amount of airtime, headchoppers and fast direction changes.

Height doesn't really matter.

Hypers on the other hand need to be quite high, to justify the name, and have speed, large hills, fast turns.

Why else are they named "hypercoasters". Imagine Magnum or Goliath being 100ft.

I'm not a huge woodie fan because I don't like the really rough element that some of them have, you know the feeling where it seems like your heart is rattling around your rib cage? Yea, that I don't like.

As for hypers, I can't get enough of them. S:ROS is my favorite coaster because it doesn't let up from the time you start to drop, and don't get me started on the air on the 3rd hill

Hypers are my favourite coaster format, and seem to retain their high ratings on most coaster polls over many years.

There are probably two ways of rating rides for me, ones that are the most exciting when ridden once and ones that I can ride over and over again without getting bored.

Top Thrill Dragster does get my top rating for it's sheer intensity but after 7 times in one day it got real boring. Millenium Force got really boring after 6 consecutive rides - I was starting to wonder if I didn't like coasters anymore but Magnum renewed my faith and I was still hankering for more after 9 straight rides. Ride of Steel at New England kept me going all day too, and with a 5 minute wait - why not?

As for woodies I have only been on two in Amusement Today's top ten list, and although I like hypers better, Ghostrider is a great ride I can ride it over and over again. Maybe woodies like Thunderhead and Boulder Dash (if only I could have gone to Lake Compounce too) would change my mind about which is better.

Wood is King! Give me a power-packed 2500ft of wood over a mile of steel anyday.

Current Faves:

Thunderhead

Raven / Legend

Twister / Phoenix

Tsunami

... and I dig Cyclone. I think the Cyclone operator on the Sebak Documentary said it best when he said, "Of course it's a little rough. But it's a coaster. You don't pay 5 dollars for someone to tickle you"

• 11 months later...

Unfortunately I haven't been on any of the great woodies, Lightning Racer and Ghostrider are the the two highest rated woodies I have been on.

I prefer Superman Ride of Steel at SFNE over any other coaster I have ridden, I like it better than Millennium Force because it has more to it, and better airtime, and over Hypers like Nitro because I like the ejector airtime and forcefulness over floaters like Nitro.

I have to say Balder, Hades, and Thunderhead look awesome and might challenge ROS if I rode them.

I like them both...but of course it depends on the ride.

I would say that Hypercoasters are my favorite type of Steel coasters, simply because I'm not into rides that are inversion after inversion after inversion, etc, etc....

Naturally people who seem to like wooden coasters also seem to like hypers because the are kind of the 'steel equivalent' of woodies, so to speak.

I also like both woodies and hypers that have "Ejector" airtime, not floater air.

So that's why I prefer hypers like Expedition GeForce and S:ROS over hypers like Steel Force and Nitro.

--Robb

So I'm guessing you like the woodie at the PNE? If you're in the right seat, the third drop will make you stand up!

Well, put me down for hypers - I prefer to feel like I'm flying, not getting beaten up. And I, for one, really love floater air - it's why I'm a big fan of drop towers, too.

To each, of course, his/her own. There is a certain level of boasting around enjoying rough rides - "I'm more masochistic than you are" - that I find a bit odd, but...

I like both, but I would prefer any Steel coaster over wood anyday. Mainly loopers, I love inversions. Wood coasters are fun, but I prefer the smooth, sleek quality of a steel coaster...I'm very fond of B&M Inverteds...they are the best B&M style of coaster to me.

I didn't like Apollo that much, best ride in the park was Alpengeist.

I thought Silver Star was great, when I visited Europa in 2004.

I also think that Nitro is great, but I agree with Robb, Raginig Bull is better than Nitro.