TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Clementon's Tsunami/J2/Puma is now Hellcat!

I just heard the confirmation that Clementon Park's (NJ) wooden coaster is called Hellcat. A few months ago I reported that park's new owners renamed the aggressive coaster originally known as Tsunami and later changed to J2 after the Asian Tsunami disaster to Puma. The park's new website posted the coaster with that name. I learned from a source shortly after that it wasn't the intended name. Rather it tested the market. Today at work I heard a radio commercial for a park with a $49.99 season pass. It wasn't a Six Flags commercial. I initially thought it was Dorney Park but the price was a giveaway surprise that it was actually Clementon Park. At the end of the commercial I heard the name Hellcat. Hellcat indeed is now the wooden's coaster name. To me that sounds closer to the implication the name Tsunami gave.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the TV commercial a couple nights ago.

Just because there is new ownership doesn't mean the place is saved. I think once they realize there isn't anyone coming into the gates, they will be more inclined to pull the trigger on paving the place than the other owners.

If or when this park closes, would it be possible for them to move Hellcat to Alabama Adventure, or does it interact with its surroundings to much?

As for the new name, it is unique, but maybe not right for a family park. I think some parents might be offended with a coaster with "Hell" in it. I didn't think anything was wrong with J2, so I don't see why it had to be changed.

The last owner of the park got a really aggressive ride. Hopefully there are more picnics this year and I see good things. I'm convinced I want to go. As a rider on the original Tsunami coaster this ride is aggressive enough to fit the name. The new name matches up I believe. The park should get another calmer coaster like a Triple Hurricane or a Spinning Mouse.

J2 was one of the worst things I ever rode at the worst park I've ever been to.

Wow. Did we have different experiences! Granted, it IS a terrible park, no doubt. But, I loved J2!! I think I still have it ranked about 5 or 6 (out of 140+ woodies).

Now, when I rode it, it was smooth, but dammed aggressive! When some really incredible airtime! Especially the second hill and the "impossible" turn-around that followed. I really liked it!!

But, I do remember thinking that it is SO aggressive, that it would tear itself up in no time at all. Much like I thought Avalanche, (aka: AvaLAUNCH) would. Though Avalanche was still good last time I rode it, last June.

So it doesn't surprise me that you gave it that review.

BTW - We even got the on-ride photo! (see below)

Actually, we got stuck on the lift hill and when the ride-op came up to "calm us down" we asked the guy to take our picture. That's the original Jack Rabbit in the background.

JJ

J2.jpg.420e83cae675a8cab9756a44f8cc1995.jpg

Who else has a legit on-ride photo on J2??

Wow. Did we have different experiences! Granted, it IS a terrible park, no doubt. But, I loved J2!! I think I still have it ranked about 5 or 6 (out of 140+ woodies).

Now, when I rode it, it was smooth, but dammed aggressive! When some really incredible airtime! Especially the second hill and the "impossible" turn-around that followed. I really liked it!!

But, I do remember thinking that it is SO aggressive, that it would tear itself up in no time at all. Much like I thought Avalanche, (aka: AvaLAUNCH) would. Though Avalanche was still good last time I rode it, last June.

Funny you mention this. I *love* Avalanche. It's in my top 5. I went into J2 with huge expectations when I rode it last July, but the thing is so damn rough. It beats your back as bad as Predator does. It's not really any big surprise as the lay out is in some ways more insane than Voyage's is, but it's at a rinky dink little park that couldn't possibly maintain such a beast. A week or two after we rode J2, Clementon had to stop running it indefinitely for emergency maintenance in the middle of the season.

I'd love to see more S&S Power woodies that are like Avalanche.

As soon I reported the Puma name on another site a source told me that although it was on the park website it was to test the market for the eventual name Hellcat. The coaster never physically rolled in the offseason with this Puma name. It was all online and it's actually not even listed on RCDB as part of its history. It's probably like Mantis' original name Banshee.

I've only been on the ride in its opening month with its original name Tsunami so I can say I've never been on J2.

Well, it is a totally different situation than Banshee/Mantis, but yeah... That is really interesting that they were just testing the market with just a name. Did they think a name change like that would garner more interest from the public? I know that J2 was a horrible name, but how many more people do they think they would get through the gates with a change of name? And how would they monitor that during the off season? Season pass sales? Web hits? I just seems really odd to me. Maybe they used a focus group or something. Or just asked for feedback.

• 2 weeks later...
How many different names can one coaster get?

--Jay

The reason why it was probably changed from Tsunami to J2 was after the terrible 2004 Tsunami. To be more politically correct, decent, whatever you want to call it, the name was changed to J2. Wave pools and Splash Boat rides everywhere also changed their names, so that name change was understandable. I also understand why they change the name of J2 to Puma, new park owners, new park image. Now what I do not understand is why they would change the name Puma to Hellcat. In my opinion, Puma is one of the greatest names ever for a roller coaster. Hellcat seems to be a little bit much.

Tsunami SHOULD be open this weekend coming up. The park was just waiting on the state to certify it to open. The trims also shaved about 4-6 seconds off of each cycle It's a shame, the ride as it was, was VERY intense and awesome. The only problem was that it would tear itself apart so much that it would only be open about 60% of the season. According to the GM of the park, it's much smoother, still feels fast, but just not overly aggressive as before.

I honestly liked the aggressive ride it provided before, those of you who havent ridden it, sorry

One of my friends visited Clementon Park on Monday and the Hell-Cat was only testing.

The trim brakes have been added because the cars were ripping hell out of

the second hill and this is to extend the life of the coaster. The first

five trains of the day [test runs] do not use the trim brakes to gauge the

speed and the trim brakes are adjusted accordingly for run mode. This

extends the time of the ride by up to 3-4 secs.

The 2nd train which never got used, has been added by the new owners, as the

previous owners had a policy of just running 1 train. The park [as of

Monday] were just waiting for the state to issue the licence for the public

to use the coaster with the new trim brakes and 2 trains.

Fingers crossed, the licence may have been issued by now. If it has, may go

on down there to ride Hell-Cat

I honestly liked the aggressive ride it provided before, those of you who havent ridden it, sorry

Only thing I'm sorry about is that I wasted $50 (two people) riding that thing last year. I still want a refund because when you only have one coaster in your park it shouldn't run like Predator or Villain.

I did get the satisfaction of ranking J2 dead last in the wood coaster poll last year, but other than that it was a complete waste of time and money.

^Yikes, I'm sorry you disliked it so much. It's up there in my top tne right now, I really like getting my arse kicked on rides though, so that's the difference between you and I I suppose.

The coaster passed on Friday night, so it is open again.