TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

^^100% agree. About Wild One: I think they leave it like that on purpose. You know, keep the whole 98 years old theme going. Having gone to the park every year for the last 3 (use to go all of the time between 99-2005 though), I've seen a great many improvements. Best of all, I always have a good time.

I appreciate all of the comments and I am actually pleased with the responses from so many people coming to the defense of the park. In reflection I went to Cedar Point and Busch Gardens last summer for the first time and then Disney World/ Universal Studios this winter so maybe I was unfairly harsh to SFA given the standard of the parks I have been to recently. However I stand by what I said, MY experience at the park was not good. That is my opinion and it is clear that others disagree and think that the park is moving up the Six Flags food chain.

I must admit I am somewhat unsympathetic to the general tone of the argument(s) that SFA really sucked (had one of the worst themed area's ever, has no shade, etc) and not they don't suck as much. The bar is set pretty low if adding a Superloop is seen as a win for the park b/c they have a history not having good flat rides. Additionally Wild one was fun and does run great. Saying SFGA could use some paint however does not negate that Wild one looks awful and needs to be repainted and saying look at SFGA needs paint does not negate the Wild one is in desperate, if not dire need of a paint job. My friend that I went with who is not big on roller coasters thought the ride looked unsafe and unkept. I am sure he thought it looked unsafe b/c it looked unkept. Either way I am sure he is not the only one that thinks about that when they look at the ride, not matter how well it runs. Also SGA does not have the coaster line up SFGA has to fall back on.

Most of the people that disagree with me are speaking from the same perspective but different sides. I think we all want to see the park improve and get more love. If they are using a limited budget and stretching it and making it work by get refurbished coasters and making incremental improvement that is great however I think with some attention and money they can be greater.

In my opinion, an RMC redo of Roar would be the best decision the park could make at this point. I haven't ridden other rough GCI's, but Roar runs rather poorly and never garners a line. SFA could greatly benefit from a smooth, fast paced quality coaster without head banging.

A few questions for the locals... How well does Roar run? Is it worse or better than Gwazi and Wildcat? How would you guys feel if RMC came in and re-profiled Roar?

I only rode Roar and Wildcat once each last fall within a month of each other and apparently I have a high tolerance for rough woodies, because while these get terrible reviews from enthusiasts, I didn't think either of these were particularly brutal. If I had to pick one, I'd say Roar was worse.

A few questions for the locals... How well does Roar run? Is it worse or better than Gwazi and Wildcat? How would you guys feel if RMC came in and re-profiled Roar?

I think Wildcat runs better than Roar, but I like Roar's layout more. I'd rather see a new RMC than a redo of Roar.

I agree that Roar is rougher than Wildcat. That being said, I thought Gwazi was worse than both of them.

RMC renovating Roar would be awesome. Hopefully it becomes a project for them one day.

I've been on both Six Flags Discovery Kingdom's and Six Flags America's Roar coasters. The one out West is a very good wooden coaster with excellent pacing, good pops of air, and an unpredictable layout. The ride isn't glass smooth, but it's far from uncomfortable. Six Flags America's is slower and lacks the intensity of the one out west while also being rougher. If the park could retrack the rough sections and get Millennium Flyers on it, I think that could be a more economical investment than a RMC treatment.

Roar has one of the most complex layouts out there so large modifications would be a waste. Topper track might be worthwhile (begs the question of new trains though), or just major retracking and MF trains all at once. Both it and Wildcat show their age and the use of PTC trains compared to Lightning Racer which is just amazing, newer and smoother than anything I can remember. Roar has some seats better than Wildcat and some a lot worse. I can enjoy Roar as it is, a lot. If they added a brand new RMC this would be a woodie park to contend with. A launch would knock it over the top.

I rode it last week and it wasn't that bad however the person I was with said it was the roughest ride of his life and need to take pain medication. I am pretty tall so I might not be as bothered. I feel like Wildcat is rougher but I have not rode it in a few years.

Everyone wants a RMC redo, including myself but I am starting to think it feels kinda cliché, lol

I don't find Roar particularly rough or unbearable, aside from the last three or four turns which vibrate quite a bit. The ride just doesn't track very well, has no airtime to speak of, and doesn't have the pacing it should for a coaster of its design.

The 2014 retracking in the first half of the ride certainly did help, but won't hold up forever and doesn't make the ride itself better. An RMC retrack (I box) is the best option, IMO.

Went to the park today. Good time as always. Everything was open, and all rides were running two trains (except mind eraser, which its second train wasn't even on the aux track). I'm basically on here to debunk this no shade thing. I'm guilty of blasting the park for having 'no' shade. There is plenty. Next time anyone goes to the park, actually pay attention like i finally did. There is plenty around most of the seats, under structures, along the edges, etc. Also, there are big a$$ umbrellas in most of the areas. I actually started taking pictures of the shade before realizing that I had to constantly keep my phone out. Could they use a little more? Sure, but it is inaccurate to say that there is absolutely 'no shade'. Some act\sound like they would like a retractable dome around the entire park...lol

Nope. Running two. It would have been lunacy to run one yesterday. There were a lot of folks in the park on Saturday. I was there between 2-6. One of Roar's trains got stuck on the lift hill yesterday too. The other was on the brake run while it was stuck. I bring that ride up, because I did not get on it. Almost wish I did not ride Batwing. Waited face up in the sun while the other train was being loaded.

Maybe a lot of shade is relative. I had no complaints. Maybe I will snap photos next time.

The no shade comment is not an absolute point but it is really No shade in relation to other parks They park doesn't have very many mature trees or places for shade. When a went a few weeks go Superman wasn't open which was a huge bummer only Wild One was running one train.

I don't want to bash the park, it is my home park, though I have adopted Hershey Park as my home park. I want to see the park do better. I don't understand why Six Flags does not invest more into the park. The argument "look at all the infrastructure and little things" they have done is weak b/c all parks do that and some parks do that plus get great rides. SFA it is the fourth largest metro area in the US and they need to act like it. For me they could show their commitment by making a large capital investment into the park that is not hand me down roller coaster.

I actually agree. As for myself, I never really compare. I love SFOG, but never compare it to other parks. In other words, I just take every park for what it is. I use to love KD, but now I'm kinda tired of it. Busch Gardens never gets old though. Funny, if I compare, Cedar Point makes all others look like mall carnivals IMO (exaggerating a bit, but not much). As long as I have a good time, that's a win for me.

As for the shade, I like being in the sun (I'm a beach person). That's what makes me say that a lot of shade is relative. When I'm at the park and want shade, I go under one of the structures,or head to the middle where the swings are; there are big trees there.

Water park opens next week FTW!

I want to see the park do better. I don't understand why Six Flags does not invest more into the park. The argument "look at all the infrastructure and little things" they have done is weak b/c all parks do that and some parks do that plus get great rides. SFA it is the fourth largest metro area in the US and they need to act like it. For me they could show their commitment by making a large capital investment into the park that is not hand me down roller coaster.

Yeah, you're right. Even those that defend this park (as I do from time to time) have been waiting for this park to make a statement for quite a long time. This park desperately needs something. Apocalypse was a decent restart from its worst years, but honestly that ride is crap. SFA really does need some major capital to be on the same level as its competition.

The reason some defend this park is because despite the lack of capital and lack of confidence in corporate for this park to reach its potential, it has continued to improve--however slowly. The landscaping/shade is very slowly, but surely, improving. Mardi Gras is fantastic, and is on the same level of theming/detail as Kings Dominion. Coyote Creek has always been rather quaint and nice. The middle of the park is okay, but could use some work. It's Gotham City that gives SFA a bad name in this department.

I really think 2016/17 could be a good year(s) for the park. The Super Loop was a cheap addition, but IMO a smart one. Reports on Gadv's iteration are all positive, so I assume SFA's will be the same. The water park has been recently expanded (2013), the kiddie rides have been updated (2010), and the family rides have made their way (2014/15). Personally, I think a major addition could be on the horizon. Probably not a Justice League dark ride just yet, and while I'd love to see Roar get the iron horse treatment, I think other parks are higher on the list. I predict by 2017, SFA will have either a Skyscreamer or a Fiesta Fexas B:TR clone.

My gut says 2016 will include a moderately large addition to the waterpark. The park's biggest draw is arguably the waterpark and it's been two years since they added anything to the waterpark. They are already removing Croc. Cal's Carrebbean Beachhouse (the water play structure) which makes me think a big new water play structure and possibly one other slide may be in store. SFOG is due to work on their Phase II portion of their waterpark, so I could see a larger deal with White Water West or Proslide that sees several new slides go to both parks. May we also see something on the dry side? Maybe, but I don't think it will be anything as big as Battle for Metropolis (Maybe a Skyscreamer or possibly a flat), but I'd be willing to bet decent money that the headline addition for SFA in 2016 will revolve around the water park... what I'd REALLY like to see added to the water park would be a watercoaster (even something as small as Deluge at Kentucky Kingdom)... none of the other local parks have one and I think it would be a HUGE draw for the park.

Man, I hope they get a water coaster. 'My source' said the same thing about next year; check a post I wrote about a month back. Spoke of a mid-level water attraction or flat: maybe both. He leaned on the water attraction side. In 2017, something real good is supposed to happen, so he says.