TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^I've thought about writing a letter for that reason. I haven't been to CGA since '06 when I hit all the coasters and haven't felt the need to go back since, partially because there hasn't been anything new. However, I go to SFDK every year and they always have something new.

Where's the e-mail address you guys are sending to? I somehow missed it if it was posted.

Santa Clara mayor's office email

Click on ' send message to' and scroll down to "Mayor, Council, Board & Commissions"

Thanks! Is it the Parks and Rec. Commission you guys are sending to? Or a different one?

Just got home from CGA, was a moderately busy day today due to 1: Being the last weekend of Spring Break (I'm guessing) and 2: the park had a "Dance Days" event yesterday and today. I spent a good chunk of the day hanging out with rlrcstrluvr and Robman, and then later, adding a fellow CGA Facebook fan before Robman had to cut out. Enjoyable day for sure! With that said, Grizzly is still running only 1 train, which leaves some pretty good wait times. Top it off with the station limit procedure they've been doing, and that adds to the wait a bit. However it is nice walking up the ramps to a half-full station rather than having it excessively crowded. Another few things I noticed today that weren't happening on opening day: being ushered to a given row (happened on Flight Deck and Drop Tower), and the employees no longer will touch/handle guest's goods. I'm guessing employees were accused of taking people's goods as they wouldn't take people's hats and phones to the bins when guests forgot to do it themselves. Really though, it's not that hard to take your goods to the bins.

Today, I've seen the most construction at the park I've seen since Stealth was being built. No, this is not coaster construction exactly, but the new lift systems for Vortex and Logger's, and a new path leading up to where the new staircase is to be built. I'm not sure if this staircase is for fast lane or if it will be for us, since the path is on the exit path, I'm thinking it could be for Fast Lane.

Other things to note: While I still have hope, we came up with the conclusion that those markers were left over from Haunt, possibly being marker posts for where the talent are to be at. I'm hoping I'm wrong but this seems likely. Only thing is that there were none over on the right side of the flume except for 1 marker just before that left turn running along the back of Boomerang Bay. Also, for some strange reason earlier, Grizzly's turnaround leaving the station....the train felt like it was barely creeping along. I was waiting to see if it was going to stop midway. Also, sticking toward the front on Vortex seems to do the trick as far as getting a smooth-ish ride out of it.

Lastly, the part that left a nasty flavor in my mouth throughout the day were seeing those Prudential-owned buildings when heading up the lifts on Demon, Grizzly, and White Water.

grizzlyqueuenew.jpg.c14c04ec1313c078256b04ec393623e2.jpg

The new path, wrapping around the ramp. Not shown is where it wraps behind the ramp leading to the stairs which will lead up to where the ramp meets the station.

vortexlift.thumb.jpg.276e4acc1a09a158d3ec1094a840684c.jpg

Vortex's lift, situated right behind the arcade, next to where the exit stairs end for Vortex (or right next to the operator control booth)

vortexwizz.jpg.52c8dd5dc272fbff3c1fe896fdc98053.jpg

Speaking of Vortex, I've seen this image many times last season and finally got around to snapping a photo of it...this looks so wrong, especially after it's been scratched up :)

idiotbusy.jpg.3ca37f1ea2ba4a5dad128a2c9613b2eb.jpg

Lastly, something also completely random: how to keep an idiot busy: See windows ;)

Today was a great day and the lines went by fairly quick. The highlight of my day was when Angry_Gumball, rlrcstrluvr, and myself rode Woodstock Express. Me and rlrcstrluvr had to both fit in the front row together because the sit belt was a little larger compared to where I was sitting. Then to top it off some children's mother was just looking at us in disgust. To top it all off the dispatch was even taking longer due to parents not being able to fit on the ride. Best part, I didn't even feel dirty about doing it.

Yea, what are we teaching these kids anyway? Oh yea, having fun at an amusement park!

Too bad my cousin didn't squeeze herself on that. Just after you left, we (rolercstrluver and the other guy Kevin and myself) hit up Woodstock's again for a second ride and almost had my cousin go on it but she bombed at the last second. This time we sat in the back and got whipped around pretty good! Parents were also getting denied left and right on the second session due to the fact they couldn't squeeze that inch to get the seat belt on. And I found it funny that the coaster doesn't have normal brakes, but tires instead. I guess they get the job done, right?

Yea, that was pretty funny watching you two try getting out...too bad I accidentally hit the camera switch button instead of the snapshot button. Looked pretty funny! Next time there's a TPR bash, or we all get together, I say we round up as many of us TPRers as we can prior to visiting CGA so we can do a full takeover on Woodstock's!

Other things to note: While I still have hope, we came up with the conclusion that those markers were left over from Haunt, possibly being marker posts for where the talent are to be at. I'm hoping I'm wrong but this seems likely. Only thing is that there were none over on the right side of the flume except for 1 marker just before that left turn running along the back of Boomerang Bay.

if the ones you are referring to are metal, then yes those are from Black Widow's cavern, they secure the talent so that they cannot run too far and fall into the trough.

Other things to note: While I still have hope, we came up with the conclusion that those markers were left over from Haunt, possibly being marker posts for where the talent are to be at. I'm hoping I'm wrong but this seems likely. Only thing is that there were none over on the right side of the flume except for 1 marker just before that left turn running along the back of Boomerang Bay.

if the ones you are referring to are metal, then yes those are from Black Widow's cavern, they secure the talent so that they cannot run too far and fall into the trough.

Yea they were metal with loops at the top. One of them still had a cable attached to it so now it makes sense.

Don't Tornado slides take up a good chunk of space, due to the massive funnel? I could see something like a Tantrum with a more 'custom' layout working, or even a capsule/trapdoor speed slide being done off the Didgeridoo Falls tower. I think it would make sense to build off that existing tower since it's already there as well as the plumbing for it. Back to the whole Tornado thing, I'm not sure though if the round tubes CGA has would work with a Tornado or if it would have to be those Clover-Leaf tubes. Although, right now it is way too soon to tell if there's even a slide going in there just yet... Especially since there's nothing on the permit page.

Also...anyone else going to the park tomorrow? Wouldn't mind running into some TPR members!

The Tornado slide can be built north of Castaway Creek and the "Manteca slides" in that open area in between Flight Deck & Boomerang Bay.

^I'm with you on that. I do however see this project becoming 1 step closer. Once groundbreaking begins, we can officially rejoice. As they say, actions speak louder than words.

Now, I do wonder in all realisticness what made Prudential withdraw their appeal, unless they did feel that it's only going to be an uphill battle for both parties and in the end, creating a massive headache. I just hope they don't decide to cause problems after the ride's built and all.

Guess what... Appeal withdrawn! See last item on page: http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=PLN2012-09049

Let's hope that there's no more obstacles, this project is several years overdue!

Maybe they're going to equip the Prudential building with plastic "scream shields" ala Maliboomer.

Speaking of which, there was a lot of equipment sitting in GA's overflow last weekend, including a bunch of white tents and towards the back of GA's main lot, there were some portable buildings set up. Perhaps for the new stadium, I'm guessing.

Back to the coaster, I'm just going to cross my fingers that Prudential doesn't have something else dirty up their sleeves. In the mean time, I'm going to keep checking back at the permit site, and checking the land when at the park to see if there's any changes starting to happen.

Maybe they're going to equip the Prudential building with plastic "scream shields" ala Maliboomer

Haha! Those things were quite hideous, looked like some kind of hospital equipment/something used to shield visitors from patients spontaneously puking all over them. Perhaps there will be personal scream shields strapped onto easily distracted workers inside the office to help muffle the noise.

The scream shield would be on the "easily distracted" workers in the Prudential office, not on happy riders at CGA.

I was just a random thing I thought about when Scream Shields were talked about. Though, I can see Prudential workers puking on their Scream Shields because of how horrible they are.

Anyways, I think that this is one of the more original layouts for GCI, especially with the bunny hops as they really don't make many of them that often.

Something I made the other day...I'm sure it's not perfect but was fun interpreting GCI's layout. This however may just slightly be taking the course too fast but looks fun nonetheless.

Sorry for the disclaimers, they're for the Youtube folk who don't read descriptions and like to assume.