TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I totatally agree. We could still get that wooden coaster for next year but CF can put it somewhere else so it's not in front of the complaining neighbors especially since they renewed a permit for it that means theres hope. & Plus if we get a brand new woodie it means CGA won't be going anywhere because they wouldn't want to tear down a wood coaster right after they build it. But I don't think they would put it in Invertigo's spot because the Grizzly is across from there. I sense it coming! But wouldn't they have to start building it like now? & There's no piles of wood anywhere.

I swear! Watching you talk/react on here is like watching the GP react to things we have to say. You don't get what we're saying, when you do you blow it out of proportion and you just act dumb about everything regarding the topic. Seriously.

^^They will build it over the reflecting pool in front of the Columbia Carousel!

But seriously, its fun to speculate but you have to know when to just stop. Right now everything is an unknown so its just a waiting game. And build it in Invertigo's spot?.....uh, no. IF they were going to put in a coaster by the bitchy neighbors I would IMAGINE it would be steel, quiet like with Medusa's sand filled supports or some butt ugly sound wall that Prudential gets to stare at everyday. Yes there is still hope but you just have to wait and see. What WE want is not necessarily what they are going to get or what's good for the park so just be happy if they announce anything.

I dug through the archives of the Santa Clara City Council meetings, and found some interesting things. In 2008, the council rejected Prudential's whiny "concerns," as you can see here:

Approval to accept the peer review conducted by Wilson, Ihrig & Associates of the noise analyses submitted by the opposing parties for the proposed new roller coaster at California's Great America Theme Park and its conclusions that there is not a significant noise intrusion within nearby office buildings, and therefore deny the appeal and adopt the resolution of findings that determines that the project is exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and that approves the height variance for a 111-foot high roller coaster subject to conditions.

I also found a 30-page report of back-and-forth between Prudential and the City. Pretty interesting, but I found that the city fully supports CGA 100 percent. To paraphrase, they believe that continued investment in the park is crucial to it's success, and to deny the new coaster would be a significant blow to the park. Not that we didn't already know this, but I learned that the city genuinely cares about the park, something that I used to be a little uncertain about.

I wonder if any of those neighbors realize that in not allowing construction of new rides they are digging their own graves? There are probably a vast amount of small business owners within the vicintiy of the park, and the park helps their businesses. If they reject a new ride, their economy will only slowly go downhill. If the park closes, well, the area is in trouble. So, your best friend could be at risk of losing his job in the future, but all you care about is a little noise? You could be at risk of having your own bisiness collapse, but an unnoticable sound is the only thing that matters?

On the flip side, why doesn't GCA just add tunnels in parts on the outskirts of the park? However, with those neighbors, the ride would become Tunnel: The Ride.

I wonder if any of those neighbors realize that in not allowing construction of new rides they are digging their own graves? There are probably a vast amount of small business owners within the vicintiy of the park, and the park helps their businesses. If they reject a new ride, their economy will only slowly go downhill. If the park closes, well, the area is in trouble. So, your best friend could be at risk of losing his job in the future, but all you care about is a little noise? You could be at risk of having your own bisiness collapse, but an unnoticable sound is the only thing that matters?

On the flip side, why doesn't GCA just add tunnels in parts on the outskirts of the park? However, with those neighbors, the ride would become Tunnel: The Ride.

Unfortunately, the neighbors are all about "me, me, me," and fail to realize the positive impact the park has on their business. I know this has been said before, but don't like the noise? Then don't move next to a theme park! Stupidity never ceases to amaze.

You know...Tunnel: The Ride actually sounds kind of awesome.

Can anyone tell me if all the Jackaroo Landing slides-4 big ones have been open for awhile? I went on Wed & was so surprised to see them finally open! & Why were the 3 big raft slides closed? That was shocking. They have always been open.

I don't know about Jackaroo Landing, but when I went on Tuesday, the three raft slides were operating. Could have just been a fluke day when you went.

Looks like Screamscape's caught up to our discussion in regards to the possible revival of the woodie (or something similar). I'm starting to have a feeling that something is going to happen, something good. I guess we may (or may not) find out soon enough next weekend during our Q&A as I'm sure many of us are itching to find out...and I'm pretty sure the park (as well as Cedar Fair) knows from all of the Facebook posts about 'make a new coaster' and 'why did you pull out Invertigo?' as well as a possibility of reading message boards (I know, we are a small fraction of their customers but an excellent source of feedback).

On a random note, I had yet another dream last night about some ground breaking and footer placement beginning to happen at CGA, the revival of the long-waited Woodie. The weird twist to it was that construction was starting next to my house (about 22 miles away) for the coaster, right out in the street by my house. I would have been able to ride the coaster from right here. But it was only a dream.

^I'm actually the one who emailed the news to Screamscape . Lance seemed pretty excited about it when he emailed me back, and from what he wrote on his site, it looks like he believes something is on the way.

If the coaster is actually coming, it's probably more likely that we'll get it in 2013, hence the "two" year extension.

^Yes. Pretty much every CF park either contains an adjacent waterpark, or a slide complex within the park. BB opened in 2004 with a water play structure and two waterslides. In 2005, the park added three new waterslides, plus a lazy river and a wave pool. Not much has happened since, though. I don't see why it hasn't expanded in a while, considereing the low cost of a waterslide and that slides do not make that much noise. Yet, the place has only five slides. Just a couple more would give them a status as a major waterpark, free with admission.

I would say it would be cool if SFDK got one, but, then again, the weather is usually crap there.

Screamscape said:

Remember that awesome GCI wooden coaster project that was all but approved at one point for California’s Great America before getting tangled up in a mess with a local neighbor over noise issues? There may be life in the old girl yet… as the park applied in June for a two year extension to the previously approved height-variance needed to install the ride, and was approved for it at a meeting in June. Could the park be preparing to finally deliver this great looking coaster, or are they just keeping the variance alive for a new unknown project in development? Either way, it sounds like something big may be on the way.

I Wonder if... A Major Wooden Coaster is added where Invertigo Was OR Where the Redwood Amphitheater is AND THEN add a Steel Coaster where Whizzer Was!!! Works for Me.

^

Just an Idea.

If I recall, the nursery was relocated to build the wavepool. Though my dreams for the park is for them to finally build the woodie we were supposed to get in 09, a steel hyper (I can dream), and for boomerang to add a few more slides as everyone else mentioned. I still have faith in this park growing up with it, and having worked in rides as my first job, to being promoted all the way to Supervisor/Area Manager status. Here's to the future (hopefully)...

If I recall, the nursery was relocated to build the wavepool. Though my dreams for the park is for them to finally build the woodie we were supposed to get in 09, a steel hyper (I can dream), and for boomerang to add a few more slides as everyone else mentioned. I still have faith in this park growing up with it, and having worked in rides as my first job, to being promoted all the way to Supervisor/Area Manager status. Here's to the future (hopefully)...

That sounds like a good start to getting this park back up to its former glory.