TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ask Mark Shapiro a Question!

Park have been getting family friendly rides such as coasters, but will parks like Great Adventure ever get an influx of flat rides? They are in serious need of non-coaster rides and I'm wondering if there is a plan to purchase smaller rides for the parks to combat coaster lines.

LOL! I don't think SFGAd will ever get another flat ride package! Remember the 'War on Lines!'? How many of those are left!?

I remember the War on Lines vividly. At the time it was great as we had a variety of fun rides come into the park. I'm very disappointed at how many have been removed with no replacements. Granted we have gotten some awesome coasters like Toro and Ka along with extremely well themed sections, those empty slabs of concrete where Chaos, Spinmeister, Evolution, and Pendulum, and maybe Fantasy Fling next season need to be filled with newer flats.

Great Adventure has really made a lot of progress in cleaning up the park and catering to the family crowd and I'm really happy at how well the park ran in 2007, it's just that I'd like to see new attractions to fill those spots up.

War on Lines I was not a success, but a well planned and executed War on Lines II could be very beneficial to the park.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Christian, you and I share the same question. Since I am an enthusiast an my home park is Great Adventure, a lot of people come up to me and ask about the flats situation. In particular, I can think of my little 11 year old cousin Alex who said last season, "Amanda, you're an idiot. I am terrified of roller coasters. I said I will not ride El Toro, I don't care if it's your favorite. I won't even ride Blackbeard. I don't even want to be here unless they get better rides that aren't ones you go on." *Walks away in outrage*

Translation: Holy crap, this park sucks without good flats. Straight out of the mouth of an 11 year old. Isn't the park aimed toward "families" now, and not just thrill seekers?

Also, ask him about the current lack of water rides at Great Adventure, please. We have the Saw Mill Log Flume. They got rid of Movietown Water Effect (which was awesome!), and Poland Springs Plunge. Can we get a big one soon, like Tidal Force at Hershey soon? Not only will it make the guests happier, but will definitely bring in profit.

One more thing, ask if he knows about Old Country at GAdv's future.

Thanks Robb and Elissa! If I think of anything else, I'll post it soon.

How will the atmosphere be affected in themed areas in parks with the new Six Flags Radio? An area playing themed music, like the Congos in the Golden Kingdom, or even scary music during Fright Fest, is greatly enhanced by the matching music, and that could be ruined with advertisements being blared over the loudspeakers.

Also, have you been inspired to make any specific additions from the trip to Europa Park.n(Better theming, possibly a hotel, etc. etc.)

Do you have any plans to improve Guest Relations?

I think someone has said this, but I'd like to repeat it:

Do you have a plan to improve the quality of smaller parks in the chain, such as Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and Six Flags America?

Is there a plan for Six Flags New Orleans? Is it likely that the park will reopen?

I'd also like to second Wes' question about clones.

Are you willing to ride all the coasters/rides at your parks?

Are you pleased with the installation of El Toro? It seems to be a fan favorite, is any consideration being giving for additional Intamin wood coasters at other parks?

What do you think about the new pricing structure for Cedar Fair season passes? Would you consider a similar a change for Six Flags moving forward?

The Six Flags chain isn't known for dark rides, but a good shooting dark ride can be an attractive feature for families. Has consideration been given to adding dark rides to parks that lack them, such as Magic Mountain?

Hm, What is the company gonna do if the drought gets worse at SFoG and what about White Water? Is it even going to open this year?

What are you going to do with dead space like the Batman arena at SFoG? Personnaly I thought building Thomas land would give ya'll reason / motive to give the park a little more shape, the parking lot isn't really being filled into that area.

Are you planning to re-do any of the rougher wood coasters, or tear them down?

I there a chance the company will make prices ( Mostly Food) more affordable? And/or Better food for the price?

I would love for you to ask him his feelings on the closure of AstroWorld. What honestly were the main reasons for this park to be suddenly closed down...

-Was it the parking issue?

-Was it the value of the land?

-Or was the park simply getting old and to expensive to refurb?

Also I would imagine that Houston is still a huge market. Would Six Flags ever consider building a "New Improved AstroWorld" in an area further outside of Houston where the land is much less expensive. It seems that AstroWorld was loved by Houstonians and I would think they would love to see something like this happen.

Also it would be fun to know what his favorite regional, non Six Flags is?

Add, why was the land so difficult to sell?

Why wasn't demolition stopped when Red Zone took over?

Honestly, I don't think I want to ask any Astroworld questions. I want to keep the interview focused on things that move forward, not dwell on things that happened two years ago and that were probably already un-stoppable when Red Zone took over.

--Robb

The company has really taken an initiative to appeal to families lately. However, most of these additions have been targeted to appeal to children. Are there plans to increase the number of attractions that families can all enjoy (not just ride, but enjoy) together?

What kinds of things are in the works for adults that don't brave the coasters?

I'd ask why Six Flags felt compelled to plunk $40M down on the Dick Clark Production company. What synergies did Shapiro imagine between the companies? Outside of the AMA's, what value can Six Flags realize with their parks, that spending that $40M on either capitol improvements or rasing seasonal employee salaries wouldn't bring? Does DCP have any standout properties outside the AMAs or Golden Globe Awards license that would appeal to a family demographic? Wouldn't a sponsorship deal with the Grammys or more youth relevant MTV Awards have been a cheaper, more practical solution seeing the fiscal situation that Six Flags Inc. currently finds itself in?

Six Flags under Red Zone was supposed to be a family focused company. Any word on when we can expect to see shows return to parks outside of Fiesta Texas? Fireworks return?

This is not meant to be flaimbait. I'm honestly curious to know his opinion in these areas.

Is the return of multiple coaster installs this season, as well as the slashing of park entertainment budgets during Shapiro's watch an admission of failed initial strategy?

Six Flags has made great strides in increasing seasonal employment levels, while actually lowering costs of staffing (slashing full-time year-round employment wherever possible) as well as improving park cleanliness. What is the plan to improve the park experience other than smaller coaster installs and ride eliminations? Is he concerned the general public might see that constant removal of rides, whether operating daily or not, an appearance of a devalued product?

When Kieren Burke intially announced the closure of Six Flags Astroworld (a move prompted by many factors, including an attempt to stave off the ourtight sale or RedZone take-over of Six Flags), Daniel Snyder voiced his opposition to the move. When Red Zone took over, why didn't the company stop the closure or seek injunctions barring the ride removals during the proxy fight? Was the $70M sell price a huge disappointment considering the initial sale forecast for that prime property? Wouldn't building a parking garage on the southeast section of the property (Fannm Street & West Bellfort St., across from the MetroLink Station), as well as moving the entrance there, been a better solution than junking a profitable park?

Has the increased emphasis on Season Pass sales generate increased in-park product movement? Has the increased pricing of food actually hurt sales (not profits)?

^ Once again I will say that I'm not going to ask any Astroworld questions.

If it was a longer interview, maybe. But I've got about 10 to 15 minutes MAX. Last time I chatted with him I only had time for like 4 questions because he likes to go in depth with his answers.

And considering that he's there at Magic Mountain, mostly talking aboiut the improvements there, I dunno, I think it would be a bit rude to start asking about stuff that's totally off in another direction and two years in the past.

But if I ever get the chance to do something longer, I might ask to appease the masses.

They sold the park. It was demolished. There really isn't anything more to say.

--Robb

Is the current trend of reproducing attractions such as Tony Hawk's Big Spin, The Dark Knight, and Thomas Town across multiple parks a permanent fixture, or will parks also receive unique marquee attractions as well?

This is a question I would also be interested in hearing a response towards. I'm very curious to see if Six Flags plans to install anymore unique record breaking style coasters as we have seen in years past, or if the movement in the company is basically coming up with a concept and then placing that ride in all their parks.

If it was a longer interview, maybe. But I've got about 10 to 15 minutes MAX. Last time I chatted with him I only had time for like 4 questions because he likes to go in depth with his answers.

And considering that he's there at Magic Mountain, mostly talking aboiut the improvements there, I dunno, I think it would be a bit rude to start asking about stuff that's totally off in another direction and two years in the past.

But if I ever get the chance to do something longer, I might ask to appease the masses.

--Robb

As much as I would love Robb to ask, he is right. This is not 60 minutes, and Robb is not Mike Wallace. This is supposed to be about fun and the future. Its time to move on. Nothing is going to bring Astroworld back.

Now that you've been at the head of Six Flags for a bit, what do you think of the Theme Park business?

Is it what you expected? What were some unexpected pros and cons you've learned?

Along those lines....

At this stage of the game, how would you grade yourself? And Six Flags in general?

Also, have you had much feedback from the shareholders? If so, how's the response been?

--Robb

I understand your point, but I do think asking him about ride removals is a fair question. It's something that's going on chain-wide as well as at Magic Mountain.

Some of your parks seem to have a lower level of theming than others, such as Six Flags America with the Gotham City area seeming more like a bunch of rides in a field. Are there any plans to spruce up these areas or do you feel that they are fine as they are, or do you feel that there are more important matters to attend to?

My question would be if they have any plans to expand into the hotel business? I thought at one time SFGADV was in the planning stages of adding a hotel. Is that still an area SF is looking into investing in either solo or with a corporate partner?

And, with the recent expansion of the theme park business worldwide, is SF looking into other countries again? Dubai in particular seems to be landing quite a few big media companies for theme park development. Warner, Dreamworks, Universal, Paramount, all interested in the theme park business, but not interested in the US apparently.

Does Shapiro think there would be a time where they would be more involved with one of the major media companies? Or is the interest of the media companies for overseas park development mean that the domestic market is in decline?