TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New In-Park Network

An interesting article on what the new look of Six Flags will be and how they will communicate who there sponsers are throughout the park.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/industries/media/article/flags-announces-new-inpark-network-flags-media-networks_463305_15.html

Enjoy!

(I apologize in advance to the Mod Gods if this was already posted...my search came up fruitless.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of that has been operational for years. However I think the blue-tooth downloads are kind of a cool idea.

I wonder how long until the parks start selling the ride names to corporations. In stead of Goliath you'd have Home Depot: The Ride. I guess SFMM has already gone that far, Jet Stream became Arrowhead Splashdown for a couple of years.

Six Flags Outdoor:

Six Flags Outdoor is the newest in outdoor advertising. This arm of Six Flags Media Networks will include rotational signage, Cool Media Interactive Signage with Bluetooth capabilities. These signs are dispersed throughout each of our parks and will have the capability to illuminate and mist to cool you off on those hot days.

Six Flags Outdoor Spectacular:

Six Flags Outdoor Spectacular allows advertisers to display marquee advertising throughout our parks. This includes parking, maingate, ride and venue entranceway signage as well as in-park promotional displays that give advertisers in-park real estate to display their products.

They can make every queue line look like Times Square if they'd like, as long as each sign has the ability to keep me cooled off during a warm day.

Same goes for the parking lot. Slap a sponsorship on each parking place. If that could possibly lower the parking fee, I'm cool with it.

Great Adventure has a bunch of rides sponsored by companies. Bumper Cars (possibly being removed) are sponsored by Geico, Nitro was sponsored by some A&E show etc.

I really hate all the advertisements in Six Flags. Last time I was at Great Adventure, they had time share people set up in the park as well as other advertisers. Kind of takes away from the theme, since it was in the Fantasy Forest with giant birthday candles, ice cream and cake themes.

I'd be happier about if if they passed the savings onto us, like how if you agree to use some web service providers always displaying ads, you get a discounted rate but since SF is the most expensive on admission (other than destination parks), food, drinks and parking, that doesn't seem to be happening

Its funny how people never seem to complain about Disney and its sponsorships. Epcot is one big commercial if you think about it.

Disneyland has been like that since day one--if it hadn't been for ABC buying a piece of Walt's idea in the 1950s, the park probably wouldn't have been built. One of the early attractions in Tomorrowland was some exhibit for Kaiser Aluminum.

I don't know how good of an idea it is going to be to invest in plasma TV's for ads to run throughout a que line...

Doesnt Six Flags know no matter how good the television is...it is pretty hard to see through masses of chewing gum.

I personally don't mind the ads. There will be other content as well on the screens. And this is no different than when Disneyland would run FedEx commercials in the Space Mountain lines.

The company is doing something to IMPROVE the parks. And at the same time create a revenue stream to help decrease their debt. That can only be a GOOD thing for the future of the company.

Quit your bitching.

--Robb

Ads are ads. All parks do them to varying degrees. Six Flags also does not have the budget that Disney does. I don't think it's fair to compare the content the two companies produce.

Instead of focusing on the negative, why not focus on the fact that this WILL be an improvement? And the ads will not be the only thing shown. There will be lots of other content to keep you entertained.

I'm just happy to see Six Flags putting the TVs back into the queues. They've been gone for a long time and they really do help to give you something to look at while waiting in line.

Just go play Roller Coaster Tycoon. The TVs always make the little peeps happy.

--Robb "No need to hate." Alvey

Its funny how people never seem to complain about Disney and its sponsorships. Epcot is one big commercial if you think about it.

I know what you mean, for example how FedEx is on the sign for Space Mountain, etc.

I think what people don't like is that there are random advertising signs and poles that just make the park look messy. The Starburst ads are a good example of that. From what I've seen at WDW and DLR, Disney puts some sort of an effort into incorporating their advertisements in the park, making them not so obvious. In the end, it makes the park look cleaner, and not so "sold out."

The advertisements at SF parks don't bug me. I just wish they'd learn to take them down once they're 6 months old and start to look crappy.

The Starburst enjoyment pose ads were very clever. I mean, let's be honest, how many people did you see (or do yourself!) doing the the poses!

I've got great video and pictures of our friends doing then all over various Six Flags Parks.

And seriously, like others have said, why is it okay for it to be Spaceship Earth sponsored by Siemens, or Reflections of Earth sponsored by GE, but Nitro being sponsored by A&E is the worst thing ever!??!

If this gives Six Flags more revenue, how is that a bad thing for us!?!?

If they keep them working the TV's in the line are actually nice at times. I've found myself watching them before, because frankly there isn't really much else to do.

I do actually enjoy the Home Depot Ads that include random facts that have found there way around Six Flags parks.

My opinion is that people are only complaining about this because they have some kind of bias against Six Flags. And, the only reason that any kind of attention has been brought onto this is because there is an article on it. Article = Six Flags gets attention = anything that Six Flags does is bad. Give me a break. There are sponsors all over so many parks.

In all aspects of life, we are hit with so many ads that we can't even process them. Websites have pop-up ads coming at you all the time. There are billboards while driving down the highway. Children in schools receive educational information compiled by drug companies, soft drink manufacturers and fast food restaurants. Nobody seems to complain about those things. But as soon as Six Flags does it, it is a problem.

Halloweekends Trick or Treat Street at Dorney was always presented by Mike n' Ike. Dollywood's corporate sponsors are Coke and Kodak. Various shows at others parks are sponsored by, or presented by, or brought to you by insert company name here But as soon as Six Flags does it, or there is a news article about how Six Flags is trying to cut costs by put up some televisions, or posting up some flyers, or giving out stickers, or painting logos on walls, all of a sudden they are in the wrong for it.

Maybe from now on television stations shouldn't get sponsors for football games, or band concerts shouldn't have sponsors, monster truck rallies shouldn't have sponsors. Pretty soon, people are going to start complaining that Six Flags has Papa John's, or Coke products - "THey should be making their own pizza, and soda, and brewing their own beer, and developing their own mascots instead of just using Warner Bros.!.... etc. etc." The more I look at things, the more I see a total bias against anything that Six Flags does, and it is sad. They are a company trying to make some moves to get out of debt and make a good experience for their guests. Sure, some of the things they are going to do will be wrong, but do people really have to criticize everything that the company does, especially when other companies are doing the same thing?

The ads dont bother me at all. I do work in marketing afterall...its my job to get people to come and spend money.

As a matter of fact I think the Starburst and Home Depot ones add something to the park. Especially considering how much they have taken out at SFMM, I am thrilled we have something even if its a commercial. I just wish the glass was clean enough to see the TV's when they are working.

Actually, the last time I remember seeing a working TV at the park was back in 1997. They were showing ads for the then under construction Riddler's Revenge interspersed with cartoons. Kinda fun. If they can make the commercials more related to the parks, even better!

Sponsorship is something that is evident everywhere these days. Remember when pre-merger America West Airlines started putting ads on the tray tables?

Actually, the last time I remember seeing a working TV at the park was back in 1997. They were showing ads for the then under construction Riddler's Revenge interspersed with cartoons. Kinda fun. If they can make the commercials more related to the parks, even better!

There were some working ones up on Samuri Summit as late as Fright Fest 2003. I worked right next to one of them and got to listen to "Move your Body" by Junior/Senior (if you don't know the song, I encourage you to look for it on youtube) on a loop for 8 hours a day. There were many times where I dempt of launching an RPG at that TV just to get that song to stop.