TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

West Coast Bash 2008 - The Official Thread!

Guys,

I did plan on staying for the night ERT but during the Q&A with Jay i got a call that my mom was having issues with her back and my younger brother was not around .

So i had to leave but i as an employee at sfmm I am truly humbled by all the positive comments it lets me go to work knowing im doing my best.

I also want to say mark shapiro could not have put together a better managment team like Jay Neal and Tim i can say i am proud to work for these guys

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Missed morning ERT, breakfast and lunch, but got to the park at about 1:00 just in time to check out the Sky Tower, X2 and Thomas Town with the tours.

The tours and announcements with the Q&A session were very nice (although some people seemed to miss the point of Q&A), I missed the announcement about nightime ERT being all of the coasters in the park, but discovered it quickly after noticing all the rides were open at 9:00.

Got rides on Rockin Scream (really liked it), Batman, Goliath, Sky Tower and Tatsu (which seemed like it was flying through the course last night), and headed out of the park after 10. Tried to get on Superman but it was down by the time we got up the hill.

All in all it was an amazing day, very well organized and a time I won't forget for a very long time.

Thanks to everyone responsible for the event (all the higher ups at MM, and all the people on TPR who organized everything), and to all the TPR members that showed up to make it such a memorable time.

Holla!

The tours and announcements with the Q&A session were very nice (although some people seemed to miss the point of Q&A),

Holla!

Please elaborate. I don't recall hearing one question that was off topic for a Q &A with the people that are in charge of EVERY aspect of the park experience.

I thought that this was the best run event that I have ever attended. That includes weddings, funerals, staff development sessions, stadium tours.... you name it. Heck, I was already impressed at 7:30 when I saw how smooth the check-in process went. Kudos to everyone involved!

Al

Some of the questions were hard to hear by the anti-social people like myself sitting in the back. For instance, I have no idea why Tim referenced Star Wars with *waves arm* "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

But anyway, an El Loco would be great, so I hope the rumor is true.

^ That was an inside joke, but honestly I'm trying to remember what it was in reference to and I'm totally drawing a blank! I'm pretty sure it was about something that came up during the DVD Party Q&A.

It was directed towards Guy (99% sure) so maybe when he reads this he can explain.

--Robb

Thanks Robb & Elissa, and all other TPR members that helped pulled this off! Also, big thanks to the staff at SFMM! You guys all showed us an amazing time at SFMM! You really went above and beyond our expectations.

Night time ERT was amazing!

It was also so great to see a bunch of people we went on TPR trips with!

Looking forward to more events!!!

I'd also like to send thanks to Rob, Elissa, and all of the Six Flags staff. The whole day was far and above any event I've attended. I met alot of very cool people and its nice to finally meet people who are from the site.

My legs are still killing me from all of the walking from ERT, and I for one think its pretty surreal to be at Magic Mountain for the first time and not only have all of the rides open, but be able to get solo rides on 6 different ones. It just doest happen like that here in Florida.

Thank you once again guys for all that you do.

We had the best time ever! Everything about the whole day was great. It's really great to see management in place that has identified what was wrong with the park and has a plan in place to fix it. Making themselves so accessible to us and sharing their enthusiasm for their jobs is just awesome. I fully understand that they can't lay out every detail of what's planned for the future, but what I've seen so far sure has me believing they're going about things the right way.

The park looked great. I knew they'd been painting things and doing paving work and general "spruce-up" maintenance type work, but there was something beyond that and I just couldn't put my finger on it. Then, during the Q&A at the theatre, it hit me when Jay said they were picking up all the leaves in the park. That was it! That's what I'd noticed but couldn't put my finger on. It may seem like a relatively minor detail, but it makes a substantial positive difference in the appearance of the park whether or not you realize "why" it looks better. Just the fact that they'd recognize and correct some seemingly small issue like that tells me that they're genuinely interested in the quality of the experience that guests have in their park. That's really the sort of thing that has an effect beyond just what's obvious. Keeping up the appearance of a park has a positive effect on guests and employees alike and I believe Tim illustrated that pretty well while telling us about Gold Rusher's recent station work. Tim related a story about the Gold Rusher sign where an employee took it upon himself to repaint it so it would look as good as the newly repainted building now does. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. When the park managers are as enthusiastic about turning a park around as this team is, it filters down to everyone. I believe everyone that hasn't visited the park in a while (like me) will almost immediately notice a changed atmosphere and that change is most definitely for the better.

Hats off to TPR, rideworld and the entire six flags staff and management for showing us a great time. The entire event, from start to finish, was absolutely enjoyable and well beyond what I expected. Night time ERT with all available coasters and the sky tower was just - WOW! - awesome.

Thank you very much! to all involved.

^ I stood right next to you at one point and didn't even say hi---and I should have. So, a day late...Hi!

Anyway, I know I've said this somewhere, but to everyone, please let Jay and his staff know what a fine job they did if you haven't already.

Eric "Has already" L.

One small point...I used the vending machines twice to get powerades, the ones that let you use a credit/ATM card. So I used my debit card both of the times. Today I looked at my statement--$14 per transaction! Ouch! Was there a $10 service fee I didn't know about? If so, I should have read the fine print.

^^ I got a Diet Coke from the machines near Colossus and paid cash. $3.50 is bad enough for a 20-oz. soda.

I also noticed that there were two M&M machines there---one with a $1.50 price and one with a $1.75 price for the same thing. Neither machine worked anyway (I wonder if these machines were the ones that lady complained about), so I just went over and got something else to munch on just before the Q&A session.

Eric

One thing I found at the q&a that may have been what the previous poster was talking about (the post about 'missing the point')

A specific question was worded something like 'I understand the new paint is nice and everything, but when I leave the park, the only thing I will remember are the completely appalling bathrooms.'

~In my opinion,~ six flags offered us a wonderful opportunity to ask them questions and actually receive answers, surely we can return the respect back to them in the form of properly wording questions. "What do you plan on doing to fix the sub-par bathroom situation?" would have worked just as well. I dont know about you, but I would like to give Six Flags a REASON for inviting us back for this kind of event in the future....not going all ACE on them and only being positive, but providing criticism in a respectable manner.

Other than that, I very much enjoyed everything, especially the evening ERT!!! Having an entire Colossus train to myself will always be remembered. Oh yeah, and the Revolution train, Gold Rusher train, and Ninja train. I was with my friends, not being a loser for the other rides so I GUESS had to share with them. STILL, a bunch of the rides we went on had just the 3 of us...Batman, Riddlers, & Scream.

I got to be in the sky tower for sundown; I was one of those people that left Magic Moments seconds after they told us that it was 'ready and waiting!' It was spectacular watching the park go from day to night in 'Google Maps Mode' as I like to call it

Thank you thank you TPR for making this all happen. The only experience I have in the past with ERT was with ACE, and this kicked those experiences asses!!!

Chris.

^Yeah, it is bad enough. Oh well. $14 for a soft drink, I don't mind because I know they will make good use of the money!

Also, did anyone else notice the one unpainted support of X(2)? It extends down into the break room, I think. Maybe they left it unpainted to keep the room cheerful!

I was inspired by the day and the bright future Magic Mountain now has! The morning ERT and nighttime ERT sessions were surreal; even throughout the day the crowds were never bad and it was a park enthusiasts dream day!

I was running a few minutes late and called Robb about 8:15 and sadly asked, "Is it too late? Can I still make it? I'm only 15 minutes away?" He was like, "Of course, see you in a few" and from there it was without doubt one of the best days I've ever had riding coasters!

I strolled in and hit Revolution once, Viper twice and Tatsu twice before grabbing some breakfast. During the day in between the nice tours we got on Riddler's, Goldrusher, Scream, Batman three times and Colossus.

We also had a 30 minute talk at lunch with Jay as he sat next to us and we basically covered about 90% of the things he talked about at MMT. It was fun to get to pick his brain and be a part of the MM community, from the top on down.

Night ERT was truly as good as it gets fellas, period. We hit Batman several times consecutively then went up to Superman and rode it eight times in a row without getting off... a dream! We went up to the Skytower and spent about 45 minutes up there looking at everyhting. The old super 8 footage of the early construction was a special treat!

To finish it off we hit Tatsu 7 times without getting off and then we walked back up to Goliath, entered the station two or three minutes after 10:30 and were allowed to get on the train. To top it off we came back into the station probably seven or eight minutes after ERT ended and when we stopped the RO said, "You guys want to go one more time?" We got to do the ERT of the ERT! Thank you everyone for an unforgettable day!

Funny, I said to my friends during the presentation that it sounded to me from what I've heard over the course of the day that the 2009 coaster will be a variation or version of the "El Loco". I would probably even bet a few coins on it.

I'm going to go buy a season pass just on straight principal, just to show my support for the present and future of Magic Mountain. I encourage everyone to do the same!

One small point...I used the vending machines twice to get powerades, the ones that let you use a credit/ATM card. So I used my debit card both of the times. Today I looked at my statement--$14 per transaction! Ouch! Was there a $10 service fee I didn't know about? If so, I should have read the fine print.

I think I know what happened. On those machines where you use your credit card you can purchase more than one item. When you are done you press the "complete" button.

I'll bet you anything that you ended up buying sodas for the next people who went to the machine, and the fact that it was $14 each was probably just a coincidence as 4 sodas would add up to $14.

--Robb

lol yeah there probably will a spot or two that remains un-painted. I never really noticed before how weird the first colors were. I guess how intimidating the ride is made me look past it or I just accepted the fact they used that combo. The paint job now fits it VERY VERY well!

I wanted to thank everyone that put together the event. I had a blast. It was so much more than I could have ever imagined! The tours were awesome and the ERT was amazing. Having all the coasters open just for us was great.

I also really enjoyed talking with Jay for a while. It's good to hear that Six Flags has plans for the future.

Again, I want to thank everyone at RideWorld, Theme Park Review and Six Flags for making this all possible! I look forward to the next event!

Much thanks to everyone who worked to get this event together... It was absolutely fantastic! By far the best condition I've seen SFMM in, and the day was just all fun the entire way through. I had to leave around 8:30, so I couldn't get much in at night, but everything else made up for it.

And I'd bet money that SFMM is getting an El Loco for 2009, for two reasons:

1. The S&S guy had to ask management (in front of the whole audience) if he was allowed to talk about El Loco (even though he talked about everything else freely, and there were no time issues)

2. He also mentioned that "we're installing one more EL Loco on the west coast"

If SFMM does get an El Loco, I can't wait to ride...