TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Bizarre Accident in Brazil: Coaster Train splits in Half

Saw this on Screamscape.

Accident at Beto Carerro World: Coaster train splits in half (Portugese)

The coaster: http://www.rcdb.com/id1154.htm

Translated by Babelfish (I cleared up some of the "jibberish"):

Passengers of the roller coaster of the theme park Beto Carerro World, located in the city of Penha (SC), had been removed from the ride the past Sunday with the aid of Firemen when the ride had a problem. Nobody was wounded in the incident. "vc reporter: it orders photos and stories according to assessorship of the press of the park, the ride presented a mechanical problem, that set in motion the system of security brakes. The passengers had been stuck in a plain part of the tracks and he did not have tumult in the rescue procedure. (translation help?)

So from the sounds of this, the ride had an e-stop. The e-stop caused the train to split in half with one half on another part of the ride. A bizarre accident. Screamscape said that the train was fixed and the ride reopened the next day. Only outside of America, Japan, and Europe...

664578-1939-it2.jpg.92f464f503196d93645dafaf5ad96f6c.jpg

A picture from the news article. Look closely to see part of the train.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm just wondering how that happened, but there have been other strange (one-of-a-kind) accidents to. I'm just surprised that no one was hurt, but I guess location has a thing to do with it. If this was in America, you'd probably get some people complaining about some ache or pain, but I'm still surprised that no one had to go to the hospital since it seems like an injury causing accident.

Thats weird, i've never heard of that happening other than in Final Destination 3.

--Jay

Remember what happened on DL's BTMRR when the train separated? This easily could have ended up a lot more serious, and scary that what is most likely a major mechanical failure is being treated so casually. Makes you wonder what other mechanical stress and/or fatigue issues are being casually brushed aside. Or if human error, how this was even allowed to occur in the first place (maybe the mechanic was hung over from NYE!).

And who would be stupid enough to ride it the next day?
Because the train split in half or because it's a Vekoma corkscrew?

Nice to know that the rescue procedure went well, though. I've heard of wheels coming loose, bolts detaching and whatnot, but not the train's cars disconnecting from each other. I'd attribute the cause to poor maintenance and very sudden braking. The only non-kiddie Vekoma rides I've been on as of yet are an SLC and a Boomerang (imagine that), and the brake run on the SLC was... jarring, to say the least. At least it wasn't something worse, like a derailment.

yea, thats quite strange, whats stranger is that it was reopened the next day....

It's not the USA.

I was on Mexico's La Montana Rusa (now renamed) several years ago in the front seat. Those of you familiar with that ride before the reprofiling will remember the insanity of the ejector air on nearly every hill....

On the first camelback, my riding partner (a local) and I launched into the buzzbar, which came up and LOCKED in the loading position. Going around the first big turn, we tried with no avail to lower the bar. The local kid was getting pretty pale and I was wondering if either of us would still be in the train after the next set of hills. We both grabbed the bar as tightly as possible and tried to wedge ourselves against the back of the seat with our legs.

We survived, and the train pulled into the station, lapbar STILL locked in the loading position. The kid was screaming to the attendant, but I don't speak Spanish, so I have no idea what he was saying. I'm sure it was close to what I was thinking, though.

The ride op shrugged. The next group of riders got in, the ride op stomped on the bar release, lowered the bar, and off it went.

That was my last ride of any coaster in Mexico.

I'd attribute the cause to poor maintenance and very sudden braking.

Wrong, the park is rehabing all rides, the maintenance is massive in beto carrero.

As soon as possible i'll bring official info about these bizarre incident.

DBru you don't ride your car the day after it brokes, and has already been fixed? cars kill zillion times more than coasters, YOU KNOW THAT

Now, you can't tell me that wouldn't scare the $h!t out of you!

Actually, I would ride it as soon as it is fixed. I'm almost positive that there has never been an accident occurring right after a major one has just been fixed. I rode Enterprise at the New YorK State Fair just two days after it killed one of the workers trying to set it up back in 2005 or 2006 (it fell on him, he wasn't supposed to be under there.)

There was a similar accident in Fort Fun (Germany) last fall.

Their Vekoma- Whirlwind was closed because the train split up at the end of the ride, but has been kept together by a steel- wire. Do those Corkscrew- models have this additional safety?

Greetings

schrubber

yea, thats quite strange, whats stranger is that it was reopened the next day....

It's not the USA.

I was on Mexico's La Montana Rusa (now renamed) several years ago in the front seat. Those of you familiar with that ride before the reprofiling will remember the insanity of the ejector air on nearly every hill....

On the first camelback, my riding partner (a local) and I launched into the buzzbar, which came up and LOCKED in the loading position. Going around the first big turn, we tried with no avail to lower the bar. The local kid was getting pretty pale and I was wondering if either of us would still be in the train after the next set of hills. We both grabbed the bar as tightly as possible and tried to wedge ourselves against the back of the seat with our legs.

We survived, and the train pulled into the station, lapbar STILL locked in the loading position. The kid was screaming to the attendant, but I don't speak Spanish, so I have no idea what he was saying. I'm sure it was close to what I was thinking, though.

The ride op shrugged. The next group of riders got in, the ride op stomped on the bar release, lowered the bar, and off it went.

That was my last ride of any coaster in Mexico.

And this is the reason I second guess coasters sometimes. Even the ones in the United States.

A similar incident happened on the now defunct Jumbo Jet in Coney Island here in NY. A few weeks after the coaster "derailed" (I rode it that day, and never again!), the same thing happened when the two cars disconected and then colided, this caused three passengers to be ejected from the ride. The train then vallied!

This is a picture of it (taken by my father, with my mom in the front row and friend in the 2nd). As you can see, there's not much connecting the two cars. I also believe a similar incident happened in 1998, or 1999 on Orien Express at Worlds Of Fun on the last car injuring several people. This is a rare occurence, but it's not the first time it's happened!

-Dainan "I'll still ride them though" Rafferty

^I think something similar to that accident(and the one in Brazil) happened on Whizzer in the 70s/80s. However, I might be confused as Whizzer had quite a few major accidents during those decades.

I'm still amazed that no one was hurt, and I'm shocked that it reopened the next day. I am interested in to finding out what caused this accident(could be age, or perhaps something as small as a bolt coming off), and I'm sure parks all over the world will be inspecting their coasters to make sure something like this doesn't happen again.

There was a similar accident in Fort Fun (Germany) last fall.

Their Vekoma- Whirlwind was closed because the train split up at the end of the ride, but has been kept together by a steel- wire. Do those Corkscrew- models have this additional safety?

Greetings

schrubber

www.rcdb.com/ig1154.htm?picture=21

This picture from RCDB that is of the ride shows two wires between each car. The wires probably were not designed to handle that much force and caused the train to separate. Did any of the reports say where the back half of the train stop?