TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Update - Retracking of Thunder Road!!

I drive by Carowinds on my way to work every day and yesterday I noticed the supports missing on the back turn of Thunder Road on the backwards side. I just figured they were replacing them. Today when I drove by, I noticed that they were taking apart the ENTIRE turn. I did not have my camera with me, but I hope to get some pictures this afternoon to post.

I wonder if they are taking out the entire coaster or what they have planned for the park (we need some better coasters, there is only 1 great one, 1 ok one and one decent woodie...).

If anyone knows anything, post it!!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...since I work close to the park, I decided to "take a break" and get some pictures. They seem to be carefully taking it apart, not just knocking it down. I will try to keep this thread posted as best as I can with progress (its easy because the coaster is right on the corner where I drive by everyday)...

2.jpg.f71c75b7966beb204efa6667e710fce8.jpg

3.jpg.d5c0efaacff53aa389e61f1888c37b56.jpg

4.jpg.a61e238df462d14a43b840e13cb242b0.jpg

5.jpg.ea614b56c09e99beed8c643c0b2fd44e.jpg

6.jpg.75cb63c21637863a3113f725dc766c68.jpg

7.jpg.e56217afd2a2f7df53b0ca8797b1f796.jpg

8.jpg.8898279a25f74f737b50b329af248d47.jpg

If you look carefully on the left of this picture, you can see they replaced some of the structure on the forward track as it heads into the turn last year.

1.jpg.8c63afa655f6bb63b173340b35b8d486.jpg

Sad to watch

On the front page of carowinds.com it says:

Bondi Beach All-New Second Wave Pool Coming to Boomerang Bay In May!

Thunder Road is right next to Boomerang Bay...I bet that is what they are doing.

Sigh...we are losing one of the couple of decent (sort of) coasters in the park...grrrr. I want a maxair!! and a good hypercoaster

We will see. I hope within a couple of years CedarFair can breathe some more life into this park.

^Yeah, it does, but you'll have that when one company screws up a park and decides to shut it down, as well as when another company gets their head out of their ass and finally starts to make good decisions.

I'm a bit surprised by this, but not quite ready to assume they are taking out the entire ride. We'll see what happens in the few weeks.

Supposedly a commercial for the park's 2008 season advertises 11 coasters, not the 12 they currently have. With these pictures, I guess Thunder Road is the one getting the cut. Strange that they didn't make an announcement (Although this is Cedar Fair we are talking about, so maybe they wanted to do it quietly) and also strange that they are removing it carefully.

If it was closed all season then I would figure they have some bad footings that are going to get replaced. Remember that they just replaced a footing on Top Gun also. So I would bet that its a footer replacement or maybe even strengthing it. If it were just structure replacements as in retrack or replace some of the bents then you wouldnt take the whole pieces of structure down. So bet its a footing issue or has to do with underground utilities or even some type of water outflow for the new wave pool. Could also be that that section of wood is just in need of replacing altogether.

lol

As stated above, the park is just rebuilding that section. The structure of the turn needed some work and they probably decided it would be easier to rebuild the turn from the ground up.

Thunder Road is not going anywhere anytime soon.

I thought it was the Saturator they were taking out?

Correct.

While it's nothing confirmed, I have heard that it's just a really extensive re-track going on to help smooth out some sections, and in order to do that some bents needed to either have some re-work or be re-built.

I don't think they are doing anything THAT major to the ride other than giving it some TLC.

--Robb "Cedar Fair rehabbing a woodie....everyone should be HAPPY!" Alvey

While it's nothing confirmed, I have heard that it's just a really extensive re-track going on to help smooth out some sections, and in order to do that some bents needed to either have some re-work or be re-built.

I don't think they are doing anything THAT major to the ride other than giving it some TLC.

--Robb "Cedar Fair rehabbing a woodie....everyone should be HAPPY!" Alvey

Thank you for the information, Robb. I will continue to post pictures of the retrack as I can. Hoping to see you on the East Coast Trip in 2008!

^^ exactly.

It is VERY costly and time consuming to dismantle a coaster in this manner. If they were not planning to rebuild it, they would've taken a bulldozer to it and they'd already be done.

Texas Cyclone went from beautiful structure to pile of rubble in a half day.

THIS IS A MAJOR ATTRACTION FOR CAROWINDS!!!!! and they just made a HUGE deal out of it's 30th birthday, They wouldn't just out of the blue go and tear it down. Plus, they all ready announced the Super Saturator was coming down......

Hmmmm......

Carowinds doesn't need to be tearing down everything, what they need is a GREAT Hyper coaster and a new floorless, a maXair wouldn't be a bad idea either, or maybe a launched ride..... Who knows?

Yep. We got pics of the construction with permission of course and spoke with one of the on-site foremen...got a little surprise gift too which was unexpected. Its basically a refurbishment as told my many which was really needed in my opinion. The gift was a hunk of old Structure given with the foreman's permission it weighs roughly 40 pounds.

Construct.JPG.39cb3331c5e513fd4ea1ac8bf08058de.JPG

Conquipt.JPG.1d5a0e2cad577765e136a1dbfe112411.JPG

1021244373_T-roadjunkpile.JPG.917513db07618847b48962af3a7042c0.JPG

1707560627_T-roadturnaround.JPG.17053e1a1d2bf5f542013180333f8d8f.JPG

Trodblue.JPG.31415071497b1822a81ffcea323ca5be.JPG

Equipt.JPG.f31b9a74235424bc021e7fae97ef47d8.JPG

1471824910_Equipt2.JPG.472c20e6daebcc6ff74ece2ab7dadccc.JPG