TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Smartcar Test Drive

thefitness

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thefitness, Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were reckless .. but you are inexperienced. Driving is all about thinking several moves ahead of everyone else around you, and that doesn't become sub-conscience until you've been behind the wheel for several years. No-one is saying that you're definitely going to crash the car, but it is extremely likely that something will happen. Most likely it'll be something really minor, but still.

And I hate to say it, but a little accident or two is actually part of the learning process as well .. just like blowing a tyre at 80MPH, running over a cat, changing a headlight bulb, getting pulled over, or any any one of the other zillion of little things that go along with car ownership.

It's great fun though! I love driving, and have put about 35,000 miles on my car in the last 18 months. I'm a big believe in getting a car you like and will enjoy driving, and I also think the Smarts are awesome. However I'd just hate to see something happen to it too soon, and possibly taint your experience.

Cameron.

who the hell do you know that drives an SUV recklessly?!?!?

Didn't you know it was a requirement for all SUV drivers?

thefitness, Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you were reckless .. but you are inexperienced. Driving is all about thinking several moves ahead of everyone else around you, and that doesn't become sub-conscience until you've been behind the wheel for several years. No-one is saying that you're definitely going to crash the car, but it is extremely likely that something will happen. Most likely it'll be something really minor, but still.

And I hate to say it, but a little accident or two is actually part of the learning process as well .. just like blowing a tyre at 80MPH, running over a cat, changing a headlight bulb, getting pulled over, or any any one of the other zillion of little things that go along with car ownership.

It's great fun though! I love driving, and have put about 35,000 miles on my car in the last 18 months. I'm a big believe in getting a car you like and will enjoy driving, and I also think the Smarts are awesome. However I'd just hate to see something happen to it too soon, and possibly taint your experience.

Cameron.

I agree, accidents in any aspect of life are learning experiences. I need some driving time under my belt to become "experienced", but just about anyone can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Right now the only flaw, in my opinion of the Smartcar is it only seats two people. If they had a ForThree model, it would be perfect!

^^A FourThree? A three seat car? They made the FourFour for a reason you know! Also, might wanna check out the Peel P50. It might be a substitute for what you are looking for.

Seriously dude, listen to what everyone has told you. I drove a Buick Park Avenue for a year and it felt very safe. I would have been totally afraid to drive a car like the Smart my first year. Just get a toyota, or even one of those Scions if you want a smaller car.

^^A FourThree? A three seat car? They made the FourFour for a reason you know! Also, might wanna check out the Peel P50. It might be a substitute for what you are looking for.

Seriously dude, listen to what everyone has told you. I drove a Buick Park Avenue for a year and it felt very safe. I would have been totally afraid to drive a car like the Smart my first year. Just get a toyota, or even one of those Scions if you want a smaller car.

Very funny…but not really.

And yes, a forthree model, check out the Toyota IQ concept, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

In my personal opinion Scions are hideous, so I'd rather not drive one. I've been learning on a Ford Expedition, and I absolutely hate it. I suck at parking big cars, you have to fill up on gas every two days, and I don't need that much space!

I have listened to what everyone has said, but I'm a stubborn person and I stick to what I like. Someone saying “That’s an ugly car, don’t get it” won’t change my mind.

I notice a lot of people have been saying about the risk of having a prang given it's his first car. I thought one of the selling points of the Smart was its interchangeable plastic panels. If it was a minor bingle, then the worst you would have to do is get a few replacement panels. The base model costs $11,000 or so and IMO that cheap enough for a first new car (And much cheaper than the cheapest Australian model available)

I say go for it, I think a lot of people are going to be sceptical, especially considering the general psyche of American motorists, if it doesn't work out, hey you can always sell it and buy something else.

• 4 weeks later...

Go with your gut. Man, I'd get one. There's just something cool there that you can't put into words. It's different. There are even clubs around the world dedicated to tuning/customizing smarts.

Same here. Don't care for pick-ups or SUVs, and just about everybody has those things.

When you get it, I'd love to hear more in detail about it/see pics or video.

You may be a good driver and that is good, however, most accidents happen to people not expecting them to happen. What do you think would happen to that car if it went through what I went through. An 80 year old man fell asleep in a Mercedes SUV and hit me head on. You saw my car, and I was in an SUV. Imagine what that car would look like.

--David

^You have a good point, but people still ride motorcycles. Yes some get killed in wrecks, but people still ride them, and they celebrate them every year at events all around the world. It takes a certain mindset. Same thing with Smarts. And Smarts offer more protection than motorcycles.

Not making light of your unfortunate wreck at all and very glad you're still around to tell the tale.

I just think we ought to be happy for the guy and let him have fun with his choice of a new car, whether we agree or not.

We dont get ANY of those! (Peugeot or Citroen) Im sure you can import them, and there might be a few dealerships, but you'd never see one commonly on the steets here.

For the mostpart, you probably wouldn't want a French car, unless it was something like a Clio/Megane sport. The amount of Renaults and Peugeots I deal with on a daily basis is hard to comprehend!

In regards to the Smart, I think most if it has already been said. They're perfect if you don't need to go out into the wilderness and haul a tree back for firewood. They're good on fuel economy and you can park them head on to the kerb.